Initial handicap too low?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yeah, we all want to get better right! I would rather have a lower hcap than be a sandbagger. The only issue is we're on winter tees currently 5900 yds and comp tees are 6500.

So, can you clarify?

White tees 6500
Yellow tees normal length?
Yellow tees when you played initial cards?

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Check you record on the CDH. You might be able to see if the committee adjusted you initial allocation after the calculations were performed.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi All,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

Just after some advice on my new handicap allocation. Bit of background, I have played for three years or so but never joined a club. I keep record of a handicap on the swing by swing app on my phone which is currently 15.2. I've recently had four or five lessons and put a bit of practice in and have seen some pretty solid improvements pretty quickly.

I have recently joined a club so my question is what do you think my handicap should be based on the following 3 cards?

89, sss 71. Fairly calm day
85, sss 71, Fairly calm day
85, sss 71, 15-20mph winds

Let's see if someone can guess and then I'll let you know what it is.
Unfortunately some people do the opposite and put three cards in higher than they should be .
I have seen it happen ,said player then wins a couple of majors and everyone is complaining.
So hcap committee give the next one a lower hcap.( there not supposed to they should use the formula).
This usually evens out .but it’s hard to get three shots back.
It’s difficult to get it right all the time.
But I would have a quick word for clarification.

Trodski

Visit site
Were any of your 3 scores made playing in an official qualifier that had a CSS higher than the SS ?.
Not sure if that higher CSS could be used for initial h/c though :confused:

I don't know as I haven't checked but I would imagine CSS is probably 2 higher on the windy day.

Trodski

Visit site
I'm sure you know that cannot be taken into account. From the 3 cards used - no adjustments to be applied - and applying the laid down formula your handicap should be 12. Handicap committees can use any other information - such as previous handicap history - to alter the calculated figure. You say you have been playing for 3 years with no previous handicap to take into consideration so I fail to see the reason for not accepting the calculated handicap. I would be asking the Handicap Committee to explain their reasoning. You might be happy to get on with trying to play to your new handicap but, if not challenged, your Handicap Committee might just think that they can get away with anything.

Just looked up the congu calculation. (LAGD + (LAGD*0.13) / 1.237

Am I right in thinking the LAGD of the 3 submitted scores is 85-71 Or would the trebles reduce this?

If LAGD is 14 then; (14 + (14*0.13) / 1.237 = 12.79 right?

Last edited:

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just looked up the congu calculation. (LAGD + (LAGD*0.13) / 1.237

Am I right in thinking the LAGD of the 3 submitted scores is 85-71 Or would the trebles reduce this?

If LAGD is 14 then; (14 + (14*0.13) / 1.237 = 12.79 right?

Your triples do not attract adjustment (adjustments are down to double par) and 12.79 is truncated to 12.

Trodski

Visit site
I agree - very likely to be 70, or even 69. That makes his allocation even more suspect.

To be honest 71 doesn't seem reasonable. I did not see the card as another member was marking it. I will have to check it to confirm. As you say this makes 9 even less credible.

Couldn't get down to the golf club today due to the 4 degrees, driving wind and rain. I will investigate further next week.

Had another lesson today and the pro also seemed pretty skepitical when I told him about it. He did say that the round with 10 pars in could be taken into consideration as evidence to knock of a shot or two