Initial Handicap Question

BerkshireGolfer10

Visit site
Good morning, new member here and first time post so please go gentle!

I have recently joined a golf club for the first time and am in the process of getting my first handicap. My 2 cards to be submitted so far are 107 and 93 so quite different (the 107 was an okay round but included card wrecking scores of 10 and 11). Is my understanding correct that my initial handicap will be based on the 93 round (assuming my 3rd round is worse than the 93)? Will there be any adjustments if for instance my third round came in at 105 for example? The par for the course is 71 and SSS is 69 of the yellows so my understanding is that my handicap will be calculated as around 21.9.

Thanks in advance for any help. Not exactly the easiest system to understand for new golfers.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Firstly welcome to the Forum which you should find very useful in many ways.
Yes, your best card will be used. Bad holes will be taken down to 2 x Par for that hole.... so I guess you won't be far out with your estimation though there maybe a further adjustment dependent on other factors/info they are aware of.
Oh.... & bye the way…. as you get into it, I think you may find that the H/Cap system is one of the easier things to understand about golf... hahaha
All the best

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Your 10 and 11 will get rounded down to net double bogeys I believe, so your 107 will become more like a 101-102 I'm guessing. But either way, the handicap is normally worked out on the best card of the 3 you submit.

robinthehood

Hacker
Visit site
Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

I have recently joined a golf club for the first time and am in the process of getting my first handicap. My 2 cards to be submitted so far are 107 and 93 so quite different (the 107 was an okay round but included card wrecking scores of 10 and 11). Is my understanding correct that my initial handicap will be based on the 93 round (assuming my 3rd round is worse than the 93)? Will there be any adjustments if for instance my third round came in at 105 for example? The par for the course is 71 and SSS is 69 of the yellows so my understanding is that my handicap will be calculated as around 21.9.

Thanks in advance for any help. Not exactly the easiest system to understand for new golfers.
Welcome along. Where are you playing?

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

BerkshireGolfer10

Visit site
Firstly welcome to the Forum which you should find very useful in many ways.
Yes, your best card will be used. Bad holes will be taken down to 2 x Par for that hole.... so I guess you won't be far out with your estimation though there maybe a further adjustment dependent on other factors/info they are aware of.
Oh.... & bye the way…. as you get into it, I think you may find that the H/Cap system is one of the easier things to understand about golf... hahaha
All the best

Thanks, this was what I was expecting, just wanted to make sure I was reading it right.

BerkshireGolfer10

Visit site
I know it. Definitely a course you need to learn where the misses are so hopefully your card scores will improve. I wouldn't worry what you start with and just enjoy trying to get it moving lower

Absolutely right. Already seeing my scores improve a lot over the summer since I started playing again regularly, just need to keep getting out there and playing and hopefully I can get into the teens in the future.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I'd say, a par 5 can now be a 10. Whereas it would've been a seven.
Any reasoning behind it?
Haven't heard an explanation but makes little sense to me as the double bogey scenario seemed to be providing more realistic initial H/caps... all providing the player isn't engineering things or not providing a full golfing history.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah I'd say, a par 5 can now be a 10. Whereas it would've been a seven.
Any reasoning behind it?

Even if it was similar to the old calculation that 7 would now have to be an 8 to allow for handicaps up to 54 ie you have to allow for triple bogey.

given that most courses have 4 par 3s the difference would only apply to the other 14 holes it is likely that there is not much difference.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As others have said only the best score is used.

Reduce any score of worse than double par to a double par then 90%* of (adjusted gross minus the SSS)

There is a multiplication factor which means you only get roughly 90% (rounded down). This is often forgotten in explanations.