Info on Mizuno TP-9 Irons

NimbleNeil

Medal Winner
Visit site
Picked up a set Pw - 3 on ebay last year for around £10 without any research when I first became interested in learning to play, but I don't really know anything about them so would like to learn more about my clubs.

They have an interesting looking back, they're blades but there is a sort of winged shape that seems quite odd.

If anybody knows how they play, how old etc or just any information about them i'd love to hear it!

MashieNiblick

Tour Winner
Visit site
Used by many tour pros in their day. Considered to be one of Mizuno's best blades and an all time classic club. I nearly bought a set new back in the mid 90's, but my game wasn't really up to it.

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Great set of clubs, I am sure Sir Nick used them to win at least one major.

If you are a beginner they will be harder to learn with but will make you a better golfer of you stick with them.

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
Classic Mizuno iron, from late 80s to mid 90s. Ollie used them, although not sure about Faldo. He might have used them for a while, but tended to use special edition clubs and later the TP19.

You will find the lofts are a bit higher than today's clubs (50 degree PW, for example). Not massively forgiving but lovely when you hit one nice. Probably fine for a fun set for an occasional knock about than a day to day set.

ADB

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had a set in the early 00's when my iron striking was somewhat better than now. Lovely when you middled one and had a solid weight to them...they also looked very nice in the bag!

I still have the SW in the bag as i cant find another wedge with the same feel and head shape.

Certainly a classic Mizuno iron.

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Loada rubbish! They're far too difficult to use and you'll get no enjoyment whatsoever learning how to be a decent Ball striker with them.

Get yourself a bag full of Hybrids and book on one of those Fashionable green reading courses ;)

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site
I love the look of the TP-9's and have been tempted to get a set myself but not sure they would kick my TP Originals out of the bag

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I love the look of the TP-9's and have been tempted to get a set myself but not sure they would kick my TP Originals out of the bag

I had TP Originals and TP9s back in the day. In my opinion, the TP Originals were a little easier to hit, although still a lot harder than modern blades like MP4s.

NimbleNeil

Medal Winner
Visit site
Sounds like I got a bargain for just over £1 a club! I didn't recognise them as Mizuno's because the logo is different. Definitely having a hard time learning with them though, my wrist has had some sad times when I've got cocky and pulled the 4 or 3 out ;(

freddielong

Tour Winner
www.garbtherapy.com
Classic Mizuno iron, from late 80s to mid 90s. Ollie used them, although not sure about Faldo. He might have used them for a while, but tended to use special edition clubs and later the TP19.

You will find the lofts are a bit higher than today's clubs (50 degree PW, for example). Not massively forgiving but lovely when you hit one nice. Probably fine for a fun set for an occasional knock about than a day to day set.

Faldo used Tp9s for a long time at his peak