• Vote to leave the UK

Votes: 39 42.9%
  • Don't know

Votes: 9 9.9%

• Total voters

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tactically or not, the SNP were destined to lose seats. If people had voted labour in some areas to get rid of the SNP they could have had lost more.

Airdrie and Shotts was held by the SNP by under 200 votes, the Torys seen their vote increase by 4000. This area as I mentioned previously has always been a traditional Labour safe seat.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
The SNP lost a third of their votes and therefore 21 seats.

People who voted for the SNP last time voting for someone else this time is not tactical voting.

If I was the SNP I would be trying to find out why nearly 476,000 people voted SNP in 2015 but voted for other parties in 2017 rather than trying to call foul about tactical voting...

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The SNP lost a third of their votes and therefore 21 seats.

People who voted for the SNP last time voting for someone else this time is not tactical voting.

If I was the SNP I would be trying to find out why nearly 476,000 people voted SNP in 2015 but voted for other parties in 2017 rather than trying to call foul about tactical voting...

I am not denying any of that [once again].......I was just making the very simple point that tactical voting against the SNP in Scotland by the four unionist parties has resulted in a Tory Government.
I think at least two of then would not have wanted that outcome.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
I am not denying any of that [once again].......I was just making the very simple point that tactical voting against the SNP in Scotland by the four unionist parties has resulted in a Tory Government.
I think at least two of then would not have wanted that outcome.

No it hasn't.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
No it hasn't.

Have a look at Wings latest posting.
Read it with an open mind.
It makes some interesting observations, especially the Gordon and Edinburgh South voting patterns.
SNP finished either first or second in all seats, again interesting pattern against normal voting.
My seat had a very low Labour count against normal voting. On the pattern of the day I would have expected them to finish second to the Tories.
As Dodger says, it may be all smoke and mirrors but some of it looks.....strange.

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Have a look at Wings latest posting.
Read it with an open mind.
It makes some interesting observations, especially the Gordon and Edinburgh South voting patterns.
SNP finished either first or second in all seats, again interesting pattern against normal voting.
My seat had a very low Labour count against normal voting. On the pattern of the day I would have expected them to finish second to the Tories.
As Dodger says, it may be all smoke and mirrors but some of it looks.....strange.

The facts are the SNP lost 21 seats because nearly 476 thousand people who voted for them in 2015 voted for someone else in 2017. A large chunk of that vote went to the Tories and that's why the Tories now have a stack of Scottish MP's.

You have already acknowledged the facts above are true and that has nothing to do with tactical voting.

So if I look at the point you were trying to make, the truth based on the facts are that the collapse of the SNP vote has enabled a Tory government to remain in power in Westminster, not tactical voting.

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The facts are the SNP lost 21 seats because nearly 476 thousand people who voted for them in 2015 voted for someone else in 2017. A large chunk of that vote went to the Tories and that's why the Tories now have a stack of Scottish MP's.

You have already acknowledged the facts above are true and that has nothing to do with tactical voting.

So if I look at the point you were trying to make, the truth based on the facts are that the collapse of the SNP vote has enabled a Tory government to remain in power in Westminster, not tactical voting.

100% spot on, only in Scotland it appears that if you don't vote for a particular party then you must be tactically voting

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
A lot of the people who voted tory in scotland did it purely to give the snp a bloody nose. They were not voting because they like the tories or their policies.

I voted Labour mainly to try to oust the SNP MP and it worked.

D

Deleted member 16999

A lot of the people who voted tory in scotland did it purely to give the snp a bloody nose. They were not voting because they like the tories or their policies.

To see if it's genuine tactical voting you need to know who the people previously voted for, imo, it wouldn't make sense for previous Lab/Lib voters to vote Tory to get at the SNP

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
To see if it's genuine tactical voting you need to know who the people previously voted for, imo, it wouldn't make sense for previous Lab/Lib voters to vote Tory to get at the SNP

That totally depends on how things were looking in each constituency. East Lothian had a labour MP prior to the 2015 election (where a protest vote in my opinion netted SNP 50 odd seats). I decided to vote Labour as they had a good local candidate.

So for me, tactical voting does not depend on who you have voted for in the past.

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Thank you, I think there are quite a few thousand Scots Blairites with feeling pretty guilty right now.

D

Deleted member 16999

That totally depends on how things were looking in each constituency. East Lothian had a labour MP prior to the 2015 election (where a protest vote in my opinion netted SNP 50 odd seats). I decided to vote Labour as they had a good local candidate.

So for me, tactical voting does not depend on who you have voted for in the past.
There'll always be exceptions, but I can't believe many die hard tory/labour voters would vote for the opposite.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
There'll always be exceptions, but I can't believe many die hard tory/labour voters would vote for the opposite.

East Renfrewshire constituency.

In the last election Tory voters were encouraged to vote Labour to keep the SNP out - they failed - I was told this by a local Tory councillor. This election in that same constituency many Labour (unionist) voters would have voted Tory to unseat the SNP - and this time the tactical voting worked.

ColchesterFC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As previously mentioned, in 2015 the SNP got almost 1.5 million votes. This time they got less than 1 million. That's nothing to do with tactical voting. That's one third of people that voted for them last time not voting for them again this time.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
"He's behind you."

​Conspiracy theorists queue on the right please. Sorry but I don't believe you can get so many tactical voters.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What some people are failing to grasp is that, tactically or not, half a million people chose NOT to vote for the SNP....
If people and policies are good enough then you'll get the votes.
Tactical voting is a red herring - the SNP lost 1/3 or their vote because people didn't want to vote for them
It really is a simple as that..

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
What some people are failing to grasp is that, tactically or not, half a million people chose NOT to vote for the SNP....
If people and policies are good enough then you'll get the votes.
Tactical voting is a red herring - the SNP lost 1/3 or their vote because people didn't want to vote for them
It really is a simple as that..

Exactly.

All this tactical voting tin foil hat nonsense is a red herring. They lost a third of their vote and therefore a stack of seats, simples...

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
East Renfrewshire constituency.

In the last election Tory voters were encouraged to vote Labour to keep the SNP out - they failed - I was told this by a local Tory councillor. This election in that same constituency many Labour (unionist) voters would have voted Tory to unseat the SNP - and this time the tactical voting worked.

The SNP lost over 6,000 votes in East Renfrewshire and so lost the seat, simples.

And if you look at the number of votes they polled, they would have lost every single time with their number of votes since 1923.

So again, not tactical voting at all, just people not voting SNP this time who did so last time.