Individuality in professional golf

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
I read an article earlier which highlighted that Patrick Reed shunned club sponsorship to assemble his Masters-winning bag based on his personal preferences alone. Resultantly, he has a hodge-podge set comprised of TM, Nike Titleist and Callaway clubs, which is completely at odds with modern professional golf where players' clothes, clubs and often actions are driven by the highest bidding corporate giant.

The article opined that Reed's approach is a good thing for golf as it gives a rare insight into a players true club preferences rather the sponsor/player ventriloquist act we see purveying the pro game these days. I'm inclined to agree with this opinion and while I am not a Reed fan (no need to kick that debate off again) I fully respect a player who will choose a path not paved by the highest bidder. Whether it be a player's clubs, hat or apparel, I love to see a player discarding the corporate billboard responsibilities and expressing themselves individually on and off the course.

I feel a lack of this individuality and personality among elite players is especially pervasive among the latest young things falling off the American college conveyor belt (as I call it) as they seem to have been so quickly absorbed into this corporate culture, what is unique about these players gets over written before we get a chance to see it. This, to me, is one of the biggest turn offs in the professional golfing landscape these days is. As we get our weekly dose of PGA tour action, we see leaderboards packed with such talent, but its taking an ever keener eye to know your Harris English from your Chesson Hadley from your Bud Cauley?

Yes, there are those who will always stand out and I'm talking very generally here, but as a golf obsessor, as most of us are on here, I would love to talk about the modern talent in the same ways as legends of the past where I feel there was more scope to be different.

Has the individuality and personality in pro golf been usurped by desire to play the corporate ventriloquist dummy?

Depreston

Club Champion
Visit site
I read an article earlier which highlighted that Patrick Reed shunned club sponsorship to assemble his Masters-winning bag based on his personal preferences alone. Resultantly, he has a hodge-podge set comprised of TM, Nike Titleist and Callaway clubs, which is completely at odds with modern professional golf where players' clothes, clubs and often actions are driven by the highest bidding corporate giant.

The article opined that Reed's approach is a good thing for golf as it gives a rare insight into a players true club preferences rather the sponsor/player ventriloquist act we see purveying the pro game these days. I'm inclined to agree with this opinion and while I am not a Reed fan (no need to kick that debate off again) I fully respect a player who will choose a path not paved by the highest bidder. Whether it be a player's clubs, hat or apparel, I love to see a player discarding the corporate billboard responsibilities and expressing themselves individually on and off the course.

I feel a lack of this individuality and personality among elite players is especially pervasive among the latest young things falling off the American college conveyor belt (as I call it) as they seem to have been so quickly absorbed into this corporate culture, what is unique about these players gets over written before we get a chance to see it. This, to me, is one of the biggest turn offs in the professional golfing landscape these days is. As we get our weekly dose of PGA tour action, we see leaderboards packed with such talent, but its taking an ever keener eye to know your Harris English from your Chesson Hadley from your Bud Cauley?

Yes, there are those who will always stand out and I'm talking very generally here, but as a golf obsessor, as most of us are on here, I would love to talk about the modern talent in the same ways as legends of the past where I feel there was more scope to be different.

Has the individuality and personality in pro golf been usurped by desire to play the corporate ventriloquist dummy?

It's a problem in all sports not just golf. There aren't many 'characters' at all in the sporting world. gutter press and social media has killed any chance for personalities to shine

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
As you said, many come off the College Conveyor Belt! As a young player, you also wont often be in a position to turn down big-bucks for endorsing a product!

Absolutely and as it's no guarantee that you will actually win much and potentially could lose your card quite early on in your career it's no unreasonable for them to grab as much cash as possible when they can

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Absolutely and as it's no guarantee that you will actually win much and potentially could lose your card quite early on in your career it's no unreasonable for them to grab as much cash as possible when they can

Agreed and very understandable. I don't blame anyone for it. Makes it quite bland as a spectacle though don't you think?

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
There's plenty of Guys on tour choosing their own clubs, Esp after the withdrawal of Nike last year, quite a few of there guys all started picking diff brands, Brookes Koepka springs to mind.

U

User62651

Fair post.

Ryan Moore was another player who avoided sponsorship and chose his own clubs and clothes.

My pet hate is when a player is getting interviewed either on tv or at a press conference and they wont take the big brimmed cap off because it is emblazoned with sponsors no doubt. We don't really get to see their faces so even harder to create a personality that stands out from the rest. As long as they're getting the big bucks they wont care.

It's all avoid carbs before/during rounds, limit your emotions (no highs or lows when playing) for maximum performance, take 3 wood off the tee, play percentage golf. All good and well and correct in terms of individual performance but leaves the viewer a bit uninspired, like watching robots.

Payne Stewart created a personality through wearing plus2s and US football team colours. Had a great golf game too but stood out.

Game does need more characters but characters will generally get left behind.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
In a sense I agree but I can also see why they go for the full bag deals. I reckon they'd be able to hit any top level clubs from the main brands well enough so might as well go to the top bidder.

I wonder what Stenson would do if his Callaway deal ran out... he'd have to get a new deal for 13 clubs only so he could keep his decade-old 3 wood in the bag! A few players do seem to have 12 or 13 club deals so they can keep their favourite putter / driver / go-to club in there. Quite a few players do have a mix of clubs as well though I think.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My pet hate is when a player is getting interviewed either on tv or at a press conference and they wont take the big brimmed cap off because it is emblazoned with sponsors no doubt. We don't really get to see their faces so even harder to create a personality that stands out from the rest. As long as they're getting the big bucks they wont care.
Funny you should say this, I was just wondering the other day if there's a single pro golfer that doesn't wear a hat of some sort, I really can't remember seeing one. I guess to not wear one is throwing sponsorship money down the drain these days.

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
Funny you should say this, I was just wondering the other day if there's a single pro golfer that doesn't wear a hat of some sort, I really can't remember seeing one. I guess to not wear one is throwing sponsorship money down the drain these days.

Robert Rock never wore one nor Ollie Schneiderjans. These 2 stand out as the only ones I can think of though.

D

Deleted member 15344

In a sense I agree but I can also see why they go for the full bag deals. I reckon they'd be able to hit any top level clubs from the main brands well enough so might as well go to the top bidder.

I wonder what Stenson would do if his Callaway deal ran out... he'd have to get a new deal for 13 clubs only so he could keep his decade-old 3 wood in the bag! A few players do seem to have 12 or 13 club deals so they can keep their favourite putter / driver / go-to club in there. Quite a few players do have a mix of clubs as well though I think.

Stenson replaced his old Diablo 3 Wood with a GBB 3 Wood last year

Not many player will turn down multi million pound/dollar endorsements from manufacturers because they can set them up for life

Most of the manufacturers though do offer many differing type of deals - ball only , driver or Woods only , irons only etc etc so a player can tailor it how they want too

Donald for example is a Mizuno staff player but for years has had driver only deals with TM , Ball and Gloves and shoes with Titleist/FJ

Hatton is a Ping staff player but signed a clothing deal with Adidas

It’s the way of the world now - Reed will still be paid but manufacturers to use some sort of set up

thesheriff

Head Pro
Visit site
There's plenty of Guys on tour choosing their own clubs, Esp after the withdrawal of Nike last year, quite a few of there guys all started picking diff brands, Brookes Koepka springs to mind.

Interesting to see what the ex-nike guys have chosen to do club wise in the interim between the nike withdrawal and their next big money sponsorship deal. However, its only in these unusual circumstances that we gain an insight into a golfers preference for clubs over preference for cash. No bad thing to take whats on offer, just detracts in terms of individuality.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm sure I saw Tommy Fleetwood still using a Nike club the other week. Must be a favourite. The money is so big in the US now that sponsorship for clubs is not the be all and end all it perhaps once was.

D

Deleted member 15344

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site

User2021

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Reed did sign a great big deal with Nike for clothing etc which in a way kind of gives you some financial flexability to go the way he has with clubs.
Obviously most have deals for everything and thus earn more from endorsments than someone like Reed with just the Nike deal - but clearly its still very lucrative to him.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
What is the split in value between clothing deals and club deals?

I wouldn't be at all surprised if clothing generates more for the player than clubs these days. That's a market that seems to have really taken off in the last 5 years or so.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

As the sheriff says Robert Rock.

He says he has had lots of sponsorship offers to wear one but has always turned them down. I did notice in his last comp he was wearing a flat cap though.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I can see how as a new pro on tour, the lucrative offer of a bag deal for decent money can be lucrative. However, I think with the advent of Trackman, GC Quad etc it makes it very easy for a pro to go to any manufacturer and try the gear and find out exactly what does and doesn't work and by not signing a bag deal gives them the pick of the best from each manufacturer.

Hypothetically what would you do? Go with a bag full of clubs from one manufacturer and which one or would you go down the Reed road (and others and pick and choose your own bag) . What about clothing? Who would you go with