Increasing core strength and flexibility in the lower back

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I've noticed that in weeks where I have lots of range work, or if I hit the range hard the day before a comp I seem to wake up with stiffness in my lower back,

In general I suppose it wouldn't be a bad idea to increase my golf fitness and flexibility, is there anything specific I can do to increase the core muscles in these areas to suit my game more.

D

Deleted member 15344

One simple answer mate - Pilates with lots of planking :thup:

D

Deleted member 15344

I'm All for the Pilates but although increasing core strength how will this improve flexibility

Doing Pilates ( a course in the gym ) will also improve your flexibility mate :thup:

Massively improved mine

D

Deleted member 15344

This is interesting , obviously it effected your golf, was it all positive or were there some negatives

The negative is that it was bloody hard work to start with mate - it looks easy but it was hard and hurt at first but once you got used to firing your core it was very good. Have loads of exercises in a manual from a spines course I did - loads on the net :thup:

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not as such, imagine you're busting to go and need to hold it in a bit longer till you can make that tree, that's the exercise right there, :) Hold in for 10 secs whilst breathing then let out and repeat three times and do three times a day. touch wood since doing these my lower back pain has been loads better.

D

Deleted member 15344

Cheers Phil, my gym offers quite a few levels of Pilates and yoga, may be worth speaking to one of the boys there too.

Highly recommend mate - and real men do yoga and Pilates :D :thup: