inactive handicap query

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Just wanted to throw this one out there...

I ended my membership at the end of december and didnt renew due to family committments. So for all of 2012 I have not been a member anywhere. The last competition was in August last summer (2011) that I entered.

Now I am in the process of joining a different club and was wondering where do I stand with my handicap??

I ended last year on 10.6 but since its been just over 12 months from my last competition. On Howdidido I am not on my previous clubs members lists either.

So is my handicap just inactive or will I have to complete 3 cards and get a new handicap or is it something else???

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I wouid say that you'd need to put 3 cards in as per a new handicap but inform your new club of your previous experience/handicap level.
You old handicap ceased when you left the old club.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
3 new cards, although you are obliged to reveal previous handicap history. Your handicap is null and void once you leave a club although it can be reinstated if you rejoin a club within 6 months.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not that I'm likely to ever be involved in the admin side of a club, I'd say the 3 cards have got to be done really.

Better safe than sorry. It's possible you could be inactive but had been playing the golf of your life before you stopped.

If you went in the first comp and shot a +5 gross, some questions might follow. Inactive is inactive, swapping clubs wouldn't re-activate under normal circumstances, I presume.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Just to summarise the various responses:

1. On ceasing to be a member of an affiliated club without joining another, you no longer have a handicap (an inactive handicap means you are still a club member who has not played 3 qualifiers in the previous year).
2. Your handicap is re-instated at the previous level if you join another club within 6 months.
3. If it is more than 6 months since leaving your previous club, you must make a full disclosure of your previous playing/handicap history to your new club and submit a minimum of 3 cards for allocation of a new handicap.

macca64

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
had to put in 3 cards,and its still inactive (at my club anyway) untill 3 q comps are played,did my 2nd comp on sunday and would have won with net 63,but there you go,

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
had to put in 3 cards,and its still inactive (at my club anyway) untill 3 q comps are played,did my 2nd comp on sunday and would have won with net 63,but there you go,

at least it will count for handicap reduction - well done. you will come back a better player!

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
ta ,i think its a fair way to it ,helps weed out the odd bandit i think,almost glad i did'nt win it!

It's only inactive at your club fully active if you want to play opens etc, quite a common practice for 'board comps' at a lot of clubs.

Good round at weekend and nice cut to boot, well played.

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
Not sure what you mean by that, inactive is inactive - I cannot think of any Opens that allow inactive handicaps.

Macca has had a new handicap issued by his club after submitting cards but they are classing it in active until he's played 3 comps, I thought an initial issued handicap is active for 12 months?

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Macca has had a new handicap issued by his club after submitting cards but they are classing it in active until he's played 3 comps, I thought an initial issued handicap is active for 12 months?

Bit of a grey area here - CONGU states a minimum of 3 qualifiers to regain active status, so the club could insist on more than 3.

Losttheplot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
cheers for the replies, Im getting the impression that I will have to submit 3 cards and tell them what my previous handicap was.
Good job today wasnt one of them, played to about 8... lol :eek:

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
It's only inactive at your club fully active if you want to play opens etc, quite a common practice for 'board comps' at a lot of clubs.

Good round at weekend and nice cut to boot, well played.

sounds like a good way to confuse everyone looking at this thread.........

you can't have a handicap that's both active and inactive - the end.

club's can require any number of qualifications to play in any of their events, but they can't issue a provisional handicap (arguably all handicaps are issued on a provisional basis because the h'cap committee is required to keep them under review!) or attach restrictions on the handicap.

so from your post, and macca's, it would seem that he has an active handicap but the club has placed additional requirements on his playing prior to being eligible for club events (for some reason).

I realise that this is effectively what you have posted, but it seemed the best place to post! basically macca's situation is nothing to do with the rest of this thread...

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Just to summarise the various responses:

1. On ceasing to be a member of an affiliated club without joining another, you no longer have a handicap (an inactive handicap means you are still a club member who has not played 3 qualifiers in the previous year).
2. Your handicap is re-instated at the previous level if you join another club within 6 months.
3. If it is more than 6 months since leaving your previous club, you must make a full disclosure of your previous playing/handicap history to your new club and submit a minimum of 3 cards for allocation of a new handicap.

I have a mate who left his club more than 6months ago -so taking the above into account I have a daft question. He can't afford to join a club at the moment but has one in mind for April time of next year (when he will be able to). Meanwhile he doesn't have an official handicap. There is a comp we would like to play in early in the New Year so I have a pretty daft question I suppose - is there any way he can get an official handicap to enable him to play in that without joining a club?

pbrown7582

Money List Winner
Visit site
I have a mate who left his club more than 6months ago -so taking the above into account I have a daft question. He can't afford to join a club at the moment but has one in mind for April time of next year (when he will be able to). Meanwhile he doesn't have an official handicap. There is a comp we would like to play in early in the New Year so I have a pretty daft question I suppose - is there any way he can get an official handicap to enable him to play in that without joining a club?

No I don't believe there is, the only way to get An official handicap is to be a member of a club, one mayb cheaper option is there a club attached to a municipal nearby where u pay green fees and club membership to different people?