In search of winter comps :-) Stourbridge ?

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
Hi all hope your having a lovely weekend.

Question is Stourbridge a winter course? Only ask as they run a winter pairs but its shut today 😱 its not rained other than last night for weeks

Help ?

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
dont know stourbridge but plenty of courses shut after last nights rain, may have only been one lot but a huge amount came down in quite a short space of time

rob_golf1

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I played in the Winter Pairs Open the other week at Stourbridge. Came in with 40 points but another pair got 45 to win. Only the winners get through to the final event in April. It's a 6 part comp I think. Next one is 24th November which I'll be playing in. It was a nice track when we played it and was also fairly dry given the recent weather. Greens were in really good condition! Not the longest course which would probably make it better to play when the winter really kicks in and the ball isn't travelling as far.

Bigfoot

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I have not played Stourbridge in winter but there was a lot of rain on Friday night around here. The football pitch of Stourbridge FC was very soft for the match yesterday afternoon with a number of players slipping over without opponents help and their pitch does drain very well.

Unfortunately, it is not a heathland course.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It's not the best area for free draining courses unfortunately

Enville is good in Winter as is Beau (both heathland) but apart from those there's really only Worfield, or Chesterton (both parkland) that come to mind for free draining winter golf

Worfield's greens have always been great when I've been and Chesterton is fun but I've not been to either for a couple of years

OnTour

Head Pro
Visit site
It's not the best area for free draining courses unfortunately

Enville is good in Winter as is Beau (both heathland) but apart from those there's really only Worfield, or Chesterton (both parkland) that come to mind for free draining winter golf

Worfield's greens have always been great when I've been and Chesterton is fun but I've not been to either for a couple of years

Just what I needed thanks 👍 somebody mentioned it being dangerous #CrossingFairways ?

After today's rain best stick to the trusty regular #WinterSeries events ☔ Leicestershire Friday 😀

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
somebody mentioned it being dangerous #CrossingFairways ?
Yeah so I'm told, enough land for 12 good holes, but a bit cramped for 18... a bit like Halesowen (if you've ever played there)

After today's rain best stick to the trusty regular #WinterSeries events ☔ Leicestershire Friday 😀

Good luck 👍

If you come across any well drained courses in the W.Mids let us know - otherwise options are limited this time of year