Whats it like for like members at The Warwickshire?

Treeman42069

Visit site
Hi guys. I'm relocating back to Warwickshire in a few months and looking to find a new club. One of the current options (high on my shortlist) is The Warwickshire. Does anyone here have recent experiance of what's it like for members there, in terms of tee time availability, friendliness/social side and frequency of competitions?

I've done a search but the most recent thread is from 2014, although it noted then that booking weekend tee times had to be done along way in advance.

It's on the expensive end of my budget, but having the choice of two courses to play on really appeals to me, along with a decent gym for winter. I also like the fact the both courses are pretty long (7k yards), which I think will help me become a better player in the long run (I play off 14 currently).

Thanks in advance

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Cannot speak as a member, but when I worked at National Grid, I stayed in Warwick during the week. Played there a few times with members, who from my perspective, seemed a happy bunch. (that was 5 years ago though)

But, I don't know of any members on here..not seen much discussion of it. Hence possible lack of reply

Last edited:

Freewaytom

Visit site
I again am not a member but have played the warwickshire a fair bit over the past 6 years or so, usually not with members however most I have come accross were normal nice people as you'd expect! Have you been the the Warwickshire before? The facilities are fantastic - grass driving range, seperate chipping/pitching/putting greens, a great 9 hole par 3 course and 2 really good 18 hole course. Always in really good condition - I used to make a habit of playing on a Sunday twighlight, used to be £20 a few years ago, there prices for visitors have gone up alot since they built the on-site hotel. I've considered membership a few times because of all this but just couldn't justify any membership to myself - that might change in the next few years and the Warwickshire is still an option, as I'm only 30 minutes away.

It gets wet in the winter, to the point where it goes to a composite course made up of some holes of each the Earls and the Kings. I also think it doesn't drain particularly well, so it plays every inch of it's yardage when it's wet.

Treeman42069

Visit site
I again am not a member but have played the warwickshire a fair bit over the past 6 years or so, usually not with members however most I have come accross were normal nice people as you'd expect! Have you been the the Warwickshire before? The facilities are fantastic - grass driving range, seperate chipping/pitching/putting greens, a great 9 hole par 3 course and 2 really good 18 hole course. Always in really good condition - I used to make a habit of playing on a Sunday twighlight, used to be £20 a few years ago, there prices for visitors have gone up alot since they built the on-site hotel. I've considered membership a few times because of all this but just couldn't justify any membership to myself - that might change in the next few years and the Warwickshire is still an option, as I'm only 30 minutes away.

It gets wet in the winter, to the point where it goes to a composite course made up of some holes of each the Earls and the Kings. I also think it doesn't drain particularly well, so it plays every inch of it's yardage when it's wet.

Brill, thanks for this info! I haven't played there before, but will stop by next month when I'm back over for a weekend. Yea justifying the membership fee is a close one, but having access to all those facilities would be amazing (especially compared to what I'm currently used too). My circs mean for the next year or two I'd probably be able to get down there 3-4 times a week which is why I feel I could probably justify the cost in this instance (my partner works away a lot, and no kids, yet.. )

I also read elsewhere about the drainage issues in winter. Can imagine it becoming an even bigger problem if we keep getting wetter/milder winters. Someone suggested the owners had been working on improving it but perhaps not...

D

Deleted member 17920

Brill, thanks for this info! I haven't played there before, but will stop by next month when I'm back over for a weekend. Yea justifying the membership fee is a close one, but having access to all those facilities would be amazing (especially compared to what I'm currently used too). My circs mean for the next year or two I'd probably be able to get down there 3-4 times a week which is why I feel I could probably justify the cost in this instance (my partner works away a lot, and no kids, yet.. )

I also read elsewhere about the drainage issues in winter. Can imagine it becoming an even bigger problem if we keep getting wetter/milder winters. Someone suggested the owners had been working on improving it but perhaps not...
I went last year during the august bank holiday weekend, it was already wet at that stage, very busy place.

Both courses incredibly long for parkland society courses.

Kennysarmy

Visit site
Just booked a 2 night 3 round stay there in 2022 :)

Wonder how it works with courses with hotels in terms of who gets the priority in the tee bookings? Hotel guests or members?

D

Deleted member 17920

Wonder how it works with courses with hotels in terms of who gets the priority in the tee bookings? Hotel guests or members?
I would have thought they would have one course for members and one for visitors.

Treeman42069

Visit site

Their website seems to suggest that there's some element of priority booking for members. I think one of the risks when you join a more commercial golf club (/'golfing destination'), is that members dont get put first, unlike the traditional member owned-member ran clubs