in case you think you can make it in golf over the age of 18

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
There have been plenty of people taking the game up early teens and making it , certainly enough have not reach plus figures and made it

And vice versa there are plenty of amateurs who have reached very low and indeed plus 4/5 and not done a thing as pro

Certainly no one should ever give up any dreams based on anyone else

I really disagree with this.

Way too many young golfers waste there lives trying to make it as a pro, playing Europro/Jamega and earning basically pennys. They then get to late 20's early 30s and have absolutely nothing to show for it, and have to start their adult lives again.

They'll then be moaning about not having any savings to buy a house etc.

A dream is fine, but you need someone around you to tell you when its time to forget about that dream.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site

Way too many young golfers waste there lives trying to make it as a pro, playing Europro/Jamega and earning basically pennys. They then get to late 20's early 30s and have absolutely nothing to show for it, and have to start their adult lives again.

A dream is fine, but you need someone around you to tell you when its time to forget about that dream.

👆👆👆 This

Or at least have a trade to fall back on

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
There have been plenty of people taking the game up early teens and making it , certainly enough have not reach plus figures and made it

And vice versa there are plenty of amateurs who have reached very low and indeed plus 4/5 and not done a thing as pro

Certainly no one should ever give up any dreams based on anyone else

Apart from the 1st sentence of MendieGK's post, I agree with both of these!!

They are NOT mutually exclusive!

But there are certainly risks involved committing to full-time golf without some sort of 'fall-back' plan! That is why the US College system works really well! Many great golfers graduate from that system and if the golf doesn't fulfil hopes, then the education/degree is a great 'backup'!

MendieGK

Tour Winner
Visit site
Apart from the 1st sentence of MendieGK's post, I agree with both of these!!

They are NOT mutually exclusive!

But there are certainly risks involved committing to full-time golf without some sort of 'fall-back' plan! That is why the US College system works really well! Many great golfers graduate from that system and if the golf doesn't fulfil hopes, then the education/degree is a great 'backup'!

The american college system is incredible.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site

Works very well for Tennis too! I knew a number of (NZ) folk who went there either on scholarship or (minted) parent funded who came back significantly better players/people than what they were likely to be if they stayed in the 'small pond' they were in!

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Just check the participants of Palmer Cup teams - Ryder Cup style for college system! In 2014, Jon Rahm, Ricardo Gouviea and Paul Dunne were in Europe team, while US had Bryson DeChambeau and Ollie Shhneiderjans. And there are others from both teams playing on 2nd tier tours too!