Improved Fitness and Improved Golf Performance

Fraz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
We all know that many of the pro's spend half of their days in the gym, but for us mere mortals is there the same benefit when we are not getting it out there 300+ yards?

I like to think of myself as averagely fit, but to be honest over the last few years I have let things slide.

I always seem to play well during the winter, I had put it down to a slightly shorter course. But at the same time I always start going to the gym from September to March to keep the weight off since I am not playing as much golf. As soon as the golf season starts the gym membership stops.

The same happened this year and until June I was playing like a coo. Then I started training for a 10K run and literally since that day my golf has improved! I am not doing anything golf specific, simply just doing 3 runs a week of between 5 and 10k.

From shooting 90+ for weeks on end I am now consistently scoring in the 79-83 bracket and feel like it can only get better. I am not hitting the ball further, I just feel a bit more in control. I have had no lessons, not changed my clubs or found a magic secret trick!

Has anyone else noticed a similar trend in their game?

Maybe the next big thing will be to selling fitness programs guaranteed to knock 2 shots off your handicap!(I am claiming the "Taylormade R-Fitness" name just now! :))

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
It may be coincidence but I've been playing the best, sustained quality of golf ever having lost 3 1/2 stone in the past year. I don't feel any different however....

luke123

Medal Winner
Visit site
I would of thought your body is just in a more energetic state you posture would have improved as your body will feel more athletic

credman82

Medal Winner
Visit site
I am the same as you I play much better when I'm using the gym regularly, I think it is to do with a stronger core and all round better conditioning. I just seem to be more stable though my swing. and dare I say it I feel less tired at the end of the round.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I'm getting to that age where bits and pieces hurt all the time (ankles, knees, back) and so the thought of working out doesn't do it for me. That and I'm a lazy git. I am and always will be a short hitter (certainly in forum terms)