Impact bags

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Any one got one, how hard can you hit it, did it do what you wanted it to do?

I need to hit with a firmer left wrist. I figure an impact bag is the way to go.

Which one did you get?

Advice needed.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Apparently my fault at the time was too handsy through the impact, I was advised by my pro to get one and spend 10 mins a day striking it ensuring my hands stayed ahead of the club head at impact, about a month later the fault was gone !

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Don't you have to fill them up with stuff yourself though? Surely how hard you could hit it would depend on how well it was stuffed.

big_russ

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I have a Skilz one that is filled with old kids clothes. Used it quite a lot a while ago to get my hands forward at impact but don't use it very often now.
You can generally hit a normal shot against it as it is pretty tough and hasn't been damaged yet.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I have a titleist bag for my practice balls, I'm wondering if I just stuff it full of towels, will it do the same thing? It is vinyl, and looks solid enough to take a bit of a whack.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'd go for a tour striker over an impact bag. You can't hit the tour striker if your hands aren't ahead.

Don't think the 'shake weight' is for you.... it's liable to snap you! :D

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I'd go for a tour striker over an impact bag. You can't hit the tour striker if your hands aren't ahead.

Don't think the 'shake weight' is for you.... it's liable to snap you! :D

Never tried one, and they are expensive. Would like to try before buying, as if I have no idea how to hit it, then that's another 90 wasted. Looks good, but may be more snake oil?

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
Never tried one, and they are expensive. Would like to try before buying, as if I have no idea how to hit it, then that's another 90 wasted. Looks good, but may be more snake oil?

Most recommended swing aid I've ever seen. I'd get one if I needed one. I've been close to buying one just to see what is actually happening in my own swing.

If you can't hit it the point isn't to put it back in the cupboard.. it's to carry on until you CAN hit it!

IMO there are only 2 golf training aids worth buying... putting tutor for your putting (obviously) and tour striker for your irons.

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
An old car tyre can be used for impact training. You can hit it as hard as your wrists can take but it is a good way to train yourself to stop flipping the wrists, which is not good.

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
My club pro was going on about hitting a tyre last night. He was also saying you can practice from deep rough, to achieve the same. Pity some pillock cut all the rough down then really.

JustOne

Ryder Cup Winner
www.justoneuk.com
I'd never hit a tyre, you're more likely to damage your wrist than improve it in any way. An impact bag is to practice the correct impact position (hands forward) whereby the SHAFT can hit the bag without snapping. Bashing your wrists against something isn't a strengthening exercise.... get some 1kg free weights and do some wrist curls if that's what you're after.