Why can’t you grip a club this way ?

Brownie22297

Visit site
What is wrong gripping it split gripped.Where you actually have a 5 inch gap between the hands? Do they have a rule that you can’t do this?One would think it would help those with bad impact. And I really don’t think any distance would be lost this way

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
I know of no rule that would prohibit this. I wondered if grips had a maximum length but a quick check suggests that they don't (only a minimum length). In any case, there is no rule saying that you must use a grip at all, you can hold the shaft if you want. In summary, if leaving a space between your hands works for you, do it! Good luck and let us know the outcome. :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
You can if you want. I'd guess it restricts your ability to turn and restricts your ability to hinge the wrists so you'd probably have a lot less power hitting it that way. I could be wrong of course.. but I'm sure there's a reason not a single pro in history has ever gripped it that way.

RichA

Visit site
Seen a few split grip drills on YT to promote turning. Just practice drills though. You wouldn't even have your hands 5 inches apart on a cricket bat.

WGCRider

Visit site
This would be a disaster. Can you think of any bat or racquet sport where you would get the best results if you split your hands? The only one I can think if is hockey and even there when you want the ball to go far your hands are together.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is nothing against it in the rules.

It just goes against most teaching about the game.

You want both hands to work as one unit separating them will probably make them work independently of each other and result in one hand dominating the swing.

Brownie22297

Visit site
I tried it on the range.After I saw about lad do it a few weeks ago.I do lose some distance.But seemed to gain more accuracy.around the greens it doesn’t work so well

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
This would be a disaster. Can you think of any bat or racquet sport where you would get the best results if you split your hands? The only one I can think if is hockey and even there when you want the ball to go far your hands are together.
Yes, ex hockey player here. You split your hands to slap it, push it as well but what you describe is a slap. You can get a decent smack out of that, short range, but not much more

When you want real power you bring your hands back together to get the whip, leverage, speed etc.

Part of the reason for slapping is speed of execution. You get your shot or pass off quickly in a confined space, before someone pinches it off you. You don't have that restriction in golf so why do it?

Incidentally, you may be ex hockey as well but I thought an explanation would help others understand your point.

Brownie22297

Visit site
Yes, ex hockey player here. You split your hands to slap it, push it as well but what you describe is a slap. You can get a decent smack out of that, short range, but not much more

When you want real power you bring your hands back together to get the whip, leverage, speed etc.

Part of the reason for slapping is speed of execution. You get your shot or pass off quickly in a confined space, before someone pinches it off you. You don't have that restriction in golf so why do it?

Incidentally, you may be ex hockey as well but I thought an explanation would help others understand your point.
It was an ex avid floor hockey/hockey player who I saw doing it.And he was hitting the ball with piercing draws.It honestly feels like such a natural way to hold the club.My hands feel like one unit versus a sloppy mess like a regular golf grip feels.Was even trying a strong right hand weak left hand.You really can do what you like with a gap between each hand.Didnt notice any huge increases in distance.But I feel so solid at impact.And my body feels like it is rotating in ways I couldn’t move before.Maybe it is the wrong way of doing this.But I was always told there is no right way to do this game.

The slower stroke with doesn’t feel right.So with pitches and chips I just gripped like normal.And I think for the first times in a full swing.Im shallowing the club with no thought or manipulations

Last edited:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
@Brownie22297 ultimately, you do what works for you. Did the guy you saw have powerful forearms? I'm guessing so if he managed to get any distance.

I fully understand how it would work for your short game, giving you the benefit of control, but it will restrict distance. You just can't get the levers going 🤷🏻‍♂️.

As said though, if it works for you, keep going.

Brownie22297

Visit site
@Brownie22297 ultimately, you do what works for you. Did the guy you saw have powerful forearms? I'm guessing so if he managed to get any distance.

I fully understand how it would work for your short game, giving you the benefit of control, but it will restrict distance. You just can't get the levers going 🤷🏻‍♂️.

As said though, if it works for you, keep going.
Yes . He was built like a little tank.If I get time I will take a pic of my grip.And maybe get my swing on camera

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
The grip is the only way you can control the clubface direction at impact moving at speed.
Do whatever you need to do to achieve that consistently but remember, all the good players hold the club with the hands close together, that's no coinsidence.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I can't work out how you would swing the club gripping like that and not lose loads of distance but I'm intrigued to see.