Imagine the BBC doing this?

Dodger

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
I think you may find it's quite difficult to follow a tiny white sphere while perched in a sky-high crane against an often white background in often windy conditions from 400 yards away... those who have a sky-high crane at home can try it to see just how difficult...

Why bother with it then if it's that tough?

At times it was just plain embarrassing Jezz as was the guessing of the commentator as to where the ball was going to end up.

The amount of time someone would say "Oh I think he's leaked that right" for it to end up splitting the fairway (or vice versa) was incredible.

JezzE

GM Staff
Visit site
Why bother with it then if it's that tough?

At times it was just plain embarrassing Jezz as was the guessing of the commentator as to where the ball was going to end up.

The amount of time someone would say "Oh I think he's leaked that right" for it to end up splitting the fairway (or vice versa) was incredible.

Fair enough, Dodger... have to confess I saw relatively little of the coverage this year for various reasons, so not best placed to comment on whether it was better or worse than in previous years

BTatHome

Tour Winner
Visit site
We'll if the same camera crew cover the Ryder Cup (as has been said already) then I'm sure it'll be wonderful viewing as it's on Sky instead ;)

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
yes but that is the only 4 days your getting,SKY has sport wrapped up and with sports channel 5 coming on this week it has Europe tied up as well.
i thought this years coverage wasn't that good,same old story's from ALLIS, Ken on the course is just tedious now and the way the talk down to you is childish,throw in the Scottish woman and it has become a snoozefest.

Thats better:)
Dewsweeper

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you may find it's quite difficult to follow a tiny white sphere while perched in a sky-high crane against an often white background in often windy conditions from 400 yards away... those who have a sky-high crane at home can try it to see just how difficult...

This year and this tournament was far worse than I can remember in conditions that weren't that windy compared to other years. Most of the time they get it right (and I appreciate the difficulty) but this time it didn't happen for some reason.

Ian_S

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
sky do it because they can just add a channel like that, BBC is mainstream and publicly funded. I really dont get the hatred of the BBC here sometimes, we have just had 4 days of excellent coverage in HD for free!

Not free. Now, you can argue whether or not the quality of the Beeb's output is worth £145.50 or not, but you can't pretend it's free.

DaveM

Tour Winner
Visit site
BBC is not free. We all MUST pay for a TV license. At least with SKY you have the choice to pay for it or not.

Your not really paying the license to watch the BBC, yes it may be funded by the license money. But the licence fee is for the right to receive a signal. Even if the beeb end tomorrow you would still have to pay the fee.
Bit pedantic I know but that's the truth of the matter.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
That is an excellent new word which is obviously a combination of snigger and giggle - splendid.

Not altogether new!

But Lewis Carroll (and others) would have approved!

As for Sky's coverage vs BBC's? I'll take the Beeb's 'no ads' version thanks! PA's occasional glitches are forgivable alongside the rest of his, and others, 'nice and gentle' approach. Using Frank Nobilo was a smart move too imo - even discounting my 'patriotism'!

But I will certainly be watching the matches!

Last edited:

BelliedWedge

Medal Winner
Visit site
yes but that is the only 4 days your getting,SKY has sport wrapped up and with sports channel 5 coming on this week it has Europe tied up as well.
i thought this years coverage wasn't that good,same old story's from ALLIS, Ken on the course is just tedious now and the way the talk down to you is childish,throw in the Scottish woman and it has become a snoozefest.

She's Norn Irish, us Scots don't want anything to do with her!

jonny1409

Club Champion
Visit site
Personally I don't see why there's so much hatred of either Sky or BBC to be honest.
They are both good at what they do in parts, and both make mistakes at times.
Neither are completely free, and both have their good and bad presenters / experts etc.

Some love Ken on the Course, some hate it.
Some love Mark Roe on the touch screen, some hate it.
Some love Peter Aliss' casual approach, some hate it.
Some love Monty's style, some hate it.

The trouble is, neither of them will ever please everyone so they do the best they can to cater to the masses.

It's very rare that they both show the same events anyway, and if they do then you make your choice on what is important to you.
Personally I hate adverts to will watch the BBC for the likes of the Masters, but each to their own.

I love the fact that I can get to watch so much golf though.
One thing is for sure, those that hate Sky would see very little golf without them.

Keeno

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Your not really paying the license to watch the BBC, yes it may be funded by the license money. But the licence fee is for the right to receive a signal. Even if the beeb end tomorrow you would still have to pay the fee.
Bit pedantic I know but that's the truth of the matter.

An expensive right, considering if its just for the Signal that I get via my Sky Dish which I also pay for.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Also to be fair stroke play golf is a bit dull to watch a lot of the time. Oh look, someone has just hit a shot to 10 foot, and someone else has done the same etc etc. So having to make it interesting and gripping over many hours of live broadcasting to the average sports viewer of today used to Sky Sports must be very difficult.

There is an article in the Times today saying the viewing figures were up this year from previous years mostly because of Rory winning it, and therefore not really because of the quality of the golf or the TV production.

Last edited: