Imagine the BBC doing this?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It's a great idea. Plenty of previous RC's to watch I imagine in the build up which will be good. I think Sky just do golf so much better than BBC and irrespective of where the cameramen come from they never seem to have as much trouble following the shots. Add in the woeful commentary of Cotta and James and it's not good. I tend to channel hop during ads (usually to SSN) so not that bothered

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
For the first time ever, Sky Sports 4 will become ‘Sky Sports Ryder Cup’ and will show over 330 hours of golf across 14 days, including 36 hours of live coverage from Gleneagles.

So that's nearly 300 hours of dross then. As above, I watch F1 coverage and it's good....when the events are on....otherwise, dross. The acid test for me is the Masters. I watch it on Sky yes, but always watch the final round on BBC for two simple reasons, no adverts and better summary. Not saying the gap is as much as say BBC v ITV on football and sky do do a perfectly acceptable job, just not quite as well as the Beeb.

BelliedWedge

Medal Winner
Visit site
Red button anyone? The Beeb could've easily had highlights or other options on the red button, such as a no Peter Alliss/Maureen Madill/Mark James option. They also had their fair share of filler with artsy slo-mo and chat in the studio. And it wasn't free.

Those who say Peter Alliss has insight are fooling themselves. He may have had insight 20/30 years ago but he is irrelevant now. Asking why McIlroy tried to fade it in to a right hand pin, why they don't just 'nudge' or 'squirt' 2 5 irons, calling Rickie Fowler Robbie.

matt71

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Hopefully sky will have the interactive service so you can watch the games when the adverts come on! And they will be a lot of adverts too!

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
I think it was Peter Alliss yesterday that said "he even fooled the cameraman" as
Rory hooked one into the rough and the cameraman was filming the fairway.
I had a little sniggle.

That is an excellent new word which is obviously a combination of snigger and giggle - splendid.

Conman85

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Have to be honest and say SKY cover the golf so much better, yes they have adverts, but that slots in nicely with a toilet break, a flick on here or a cuppa. For all the BBC had wall to wall coverage the highlights were woeful, you didn't get replays on long putts, chip ins, I think it took till the end of the show to see garcias eagle on the second hole on Friday........I was waiting and waiting and waiting. The commentary team were terrible Aliss is long past it, they didn't know Watson had an exemption next yr, Butch Harmon was Rickie fowlers coach, they couldn't even tell you that Adam Scott had taken his BLUE jumper off to reveal a RED polo. I still don't get why they were trying to give us an inside scoop on a non starter, check the bleeping tape! I thought overall it was really poorly covered and the sooner it gets to sky the better, sky's experts are actual experts and you learn something.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Just had a look to see what sport they will have to move from SS4 each Monday to put on this extravaganza... nothing!

There is not a single original programme today on Sky sports 4

As a golf fan I'm looking forward to the event but lets not imagine there's any sacrifice for Sky in dedicating a channel when they have access to many and the one they'll use didn't even have anything on it anyway!

Anyone want to bet how many times each show will be repeated through the 14 days?

14? ;)

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
dont understand the constant sniping at one of our golf legends. Peter is a fantastic commentator and can pull on 50 years of in depth knowledge, he is also very witty with his quips.

some of us much prefer Peter Alliss' more traditional commentary to some of the trendy 'golf speak' (aka rubbish) some younger golf pseuds spout these days. For instance I give you 'he piped his drive'

DCB

Visit site
Only 36 hours "live" golf - lots of adverts and fillers

The BBC have just done more live golf without one single advert

And the BBC can't dedicate one whole channel for a week because the BBC doesn't cater for golf fans.

Just had the best 4 days coverage of golf on telly - it was fantastic - Sky will never match it.

Sorted that for you ;)

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
Have to be honest and say SKY cover the golf so much better, yes they have adverts, but that slots in nicely with a toilet break, a flick on here or a cuppa. For all the BBC had wall to wall coverage the highlights were woeful, you didn't get replays on long putts, chip ins, I think it took till the end of the show to see garcias eagle on the second hole on Friday........I was waiting and waiting and waiting. The commentary team were terrible Aliss is long past it, they didn't know Watson had an exemption next yr, Butch Harmon was Rickie fowlers coach, they couldn't even tell you that Adam Scott had taken his BLUE jumper off to reveal a RED polo. I still don't get why they were trying to give us an inside scoop on a non starter, check the bleeping tape! I thought overall it was really poorly covered and the sooner it gets to sky the better, sky's experts are actual experts and you learn something.

Or the BBC could try and modernise and improve their coverage? Instead of putting the last big golf event on terrestrial TV on to pay TV, therefore massively reducing the viewing figures and reducing even further the chances of youngsters seeing the game and getting inspired to play it?

pendodave

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Without so much as a preview show or highlights.

Great news for the armchair fan.

We may even get camera's that can follow the ball to its destination.

Err...

On my bbc iplayer I can see a preview program and as-live coverage for all 4 days available for the next 5 days to watch whenever I like. For free.

But why let the facts get in the way of an opinion.

You aren't R Murdoch in disguise are you?

D

Deleted Member 1156

sky do it because they can just add a channel like that, BBC is mainstream and publicly funded. I really dont get the hatred of the BBC here sometimes, we have just had 4 days of excellent coverage in HD for free!

Well said scooter :thup:

Come on folks, do the maths...... 330 hours screening minus 36 hours of live coverage = 294 hours of endless drivel listening to Monty etc droning on and watching endless repeats. I have Sky but I'm more than happy to watch uninterrupted BBC coverage.....in HD.......for free :)

LanDog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I far rather the BBC commentary team to the Sky one, only Sky commentator I really like is Wayne Riley. I far rather the quirkiness of the BBC with Ken doing his little bits and pieces, on top of that, Andrew Cotter is my favourite commentator in sport not just golf, think he has an excellent way about him

D

Deleted member 18588

sky's experts are actual experts and you learn something.

In what respect are Sky's so called experts any more knowledgeable than those employed by the BBC. Ken Brown and Mark James speak from greater experience than Mark Roe or Robert Lee.

I am sad to have to agree that now would be a good time for Peter Alliss to"hang up the mic" and Ewen Murray does an excellent job on Sky but that aside I cannot see any evidence to support the claim that Sky's coverage is appreciably better.

Mind you with their financial advantages it ought to be. Subscriptions and endless bloody adverts!

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Makes up for the 20 odd times he guessed and called it wrong.

Alliss and James together, thank goodness there is a mute button.

Would not have you down as a Peter Alliss critic DfT.
I agree about Mark James,a poor commentator and also a poor team player under John Jacobs captaincy.
Not one of our best Ryder Cup Captains either,in my opinion,let personal feelings to choose hs picks,I recall.
Dewsweeper