I'm looking for a feeling

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Get your mind out of the gutter! :smirk:

Ever since I took up the game 4 and a bit years ago, I've always suffered with a slide where everything moves forward in the downswing. Head, chest, hips the lot. Not good I know.

To this end over the winter my pro and I have decided to address this as it's the next step in the process.

Below is an image (LEFT) of where I was before we addressed the issue.

The opposite image (RIGHT) was taken after around 4 weeks work.

IMG_20151126_203020_zpsbhml3ygl.jpg

Bit better I think we can agree there?

The issue I have is at transition, right at the second the change of direction occurs. I still have a slight bump forward which cases my head to move off the line drawn in the picture by my teaching pro.

So, my question to the experts on here. At transition, is there a feeling I should be looking for when making the transition with regards to keeping my head still and not letting it move towards the target?

D

Deleted Member 1156

I'm prone to a slide when I start trying to hit it too hard, my swingthought to correct it is ensure my sternum stays over the ball through impact.

Try to focus on hitting the ball 'better' not 'harder' :thup:

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm not sure where I've seen it, but someone said on here to 'watch the club hit the ball'. Important to understand it's different to 'keep your head down'

That helped me with a similar issue. I was getting miles ahead of it and hitting massive blocks.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
Get the video up. I'm lost.

Dont have the vid' Gary, just stills.

If, at address, you were to draw 2 vertical either side of my head just next to my ears, the goal is to keep your head between the lines.

As an example. Look at the box around Louis head at address if you can just make it out.

image.jpg

Then at impact

image.jpg

Video here:

[video=youtube_share;Y8jqzfaw0VY]https://youtu.be/Y8jqzfaw0VY[/video]

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Is the ball behaving and not moving left and right as much. If so I'd just concentrate on what you're doing rather than striding for something perfect. I'm aware of the irony of this but for 2016 I'm just looking to find a way to get it round without spending hours trying to chase something I can't get. Add in a better short game and I think it's the way forward. 2016 is the year of the Homer

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
As for the question - put something under the outside of your left foot and hit shots. That will teach your body what it feels like to not slide.

It only needs to be half an inch or so, I used a bit of wood broken off a pallet.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
2 great vids guys!

I particularly like the 'disclaimer' in the 2nd one about the solution not being applicable to everyone!

As for the OP... Looks better, but still seems to be work to do. That 'peel the shoulder' drill could well help!

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
OP - would look to earlier in the swing motion to help with the transition (which in lower body is all about ground pressure/force rather than weight shift or weight transfer) as what is/maybe able to happen from the top is a good bunch dependent on what's led into the top of the swing

if the 'turn away/upper body rotation' is a ways too flat it's very difficult to have the lead shoulder so lead arm move down without taking the head/upper body along too in that very first transition motion

the biggest area of flex bio-mechanically to the final piece of shoulder/chest turn to top is at the thoracic spine level junction + cervical (neck/head), the base of the spine much less flex there (as to why you see the kinda 'S shape' spine formation at the top in real good players - so the major creases across the 'lats' in the shirts )

if though the majority of 'turn' folks try to enable is from base of the spine the turn will always tend to be too flat

so first left shoulder movement would look to be 'downwards' & rotating back - rather than just turning back level

the arms can if wanted too, still work to match the plane of the shoulders at the top - it's just that the shoulder plane would be little ways steeper - then it's a bunch easier to get the separation at transition on the ways down from the top & not take the upper chest/head with it towards target to be ahead of the ball position