I'm Having A Lesson!

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
If something goes from +1 to -1 it has decreased. That's just maths. :LOL:

I'm a Maths graduate so not a new concept for me, but when it comes to golf as I said above, when you talk about increasing your angle of attack when hitting irons it means more steep i.e. more negative (y)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm a Maths graduate so not a new concept for me, but when it comes to golf as I said above, when you talk about increasing your angle of attack when hitting irons it means more steep i.e. more negative (y)
Yeah, I was just kidding, I see where the confusion was now, I figured it would be a wording issue. I guess to go from neutral to minus 1 would increasing the angle - but decreasing the number. Essentially though I just wanted to go from positive to negative AOA though. (y)

ger147

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, I was just kidding, I see where the confusion was now, I figured it would be a wording issue. I guess to go from neutral to minus 1 would increasing the angle - but decreasing the number. Essentially though I just wanted to go from positive to negative AOA though. (y)

Yep deffo a good idea with the irons.

D

Deleted member 1147

Golf lessons are a complete con.
That's because the game is nearly all inspiration.
True, a pro might be able to fix a fault but that will unearth at least one more and you'll be back to where you began (if you are lucky).
There are plenty of teaching pro's who have destroyed a player's natural game.
So people should only have lessons when they are lacking inspiration, & not when they are struggling with their game?

Also, would you recommend people go to a golf pro to find this inspiration, or one of the Muses?

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
My twopenneth, for what it's worth, is to be careful not to move the ball too far back - that will not help you transfer your weight through the swing. Sometimes when a minor change works it's really tempting, and can be subconscious, to do it a bit more!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My twopenneth, for what it's worth, is to be careful not to move the ball too far back - that will not help you transfer your weight through the swing. Sometimes when a minor change works it's really tempting, and can be subconscious, to do it a bit more!
It's not going back really, it was more that I thought I had it in the middle, and the pro agreed that he normally teaches people to have it in the middle, but when I looked closely it was actually forward slightly. So we just put it back in the middle. ? As I say, it had obviously crept forward without me realising. Our brains go blind to things sometimes.

Last edited:

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
If you would like just 1 lesson then I recommend an ad in GM from the 1980's.
Briefly, the ad invited you send £x for the MAGIC MOVE, which apart from not being magic or even a move, is worth considering.
I didn't send for it but heard about it much later.
The ad started: Hello, my name is Alan Sadler and I know how you feel. I hated golf but who can quit, blah, blah, blah...

It's all in the nose!
Don't allow it to move in front of the ball at any point in the swing.
This is a refinement of what was being taught then; keep your head still or keep you head down.
Never practical because in the backswing the head will move back a bit and in the downswing it will is likely to lurch forward.

Whatever a pro tells you, your swing will not work if you can't bring the clubface back square to the ball if you want to hit it straight.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Briefly, the ad invited you send £x for the MAGIC MOVE, which apart from not being magic or even a move, is worth considering.
The ad started: Hello, my name is Alan Sadler and I know how you feel. I hated golf but who can quit, blah, blah, blah...

It's all in the nose!
This is a refinement of what was being taught then; keep your head still or keep you head down.
Never practical because in the backswing the head will move back a bit and in the downswing it will is likely to lurch forward.

Whatever a pro tells you, your swing will not work if you can't bring the clubface back square to the ball if you want to hit it straight.

Square to path.... and millions of swings are super effective with zero ability to hit it straight...

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk

It's all in the nose!

This is a bit like saying "you won't hit the ball properly if you can't hit the ball properly" a bit obvious, actually.

There's some truth in the bit about the nose. Lots of good player's heads move back during the backswing, but never move in front of the ball during the downswing. Dustin Johnson's head moves a lot during the swing & he's quite good.

Maninblack4612

Tour Winner
www.camera-angles.co.uk
Square to path.... and millions of swings are super effective with zero ability to hit it straight...
Jim Hardy & Chris O'Connell, Kuchar's coach, explain that the clubface is rotating so quickly from open to the swing path to closed in the swings of Phil & Bubba, because of the way they swing, that it's almost impossible to have the face square to the path at impact. That's why they are obliged to shape every shot.

stefanovic

Medal Winner
Visit site
Millions? Super effective?
Not everybody has the strong hands of some of these top players.

Or you'd have to be a Lee Trevino.
He got around the forward swing problem by standing behind the ball at address then taking the club back in a loop. The result was always a fade.
Thousands tried to copy it and failed.