I'm Having A Lesson!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Changes always feel alien and take time to bed in. Just buy a grip trainer, stick it onto a spare club and sit with it while on the sofa watching tv or something.
The missus will think you're a nutter mind :LOL:
It's ok, I have no interest in changing it anyway, at least not unless this pro can explain to me what the benefit would be, if any.

evemccc

Visit site
My thoughts on this is that surely there are major and minor changes? Major changes like changing your grip would surely take many hours of practise to bed in. But surely there are more minor changes a pro could suggest that wouldn't take as long to apply?

My first ever lesson the pro said change the grip to the Vardy grip from baseball — after hitting the ball once with the Vardy grip, I’ve never ever once gone back.

It doesn’t take ages to bed in, just commit to any changes and don’t look back.

In my limited golfing experience, i would say that unless you are a low single figure handicapper, I would definitely have periodic (or regular) lessons and be open-minded

I had a 30 min lesson last week — changed my views (and what club to play and what I’m trying to achieve) on 50 yard and in pitch shots —- I think that most golfers have the ability to play better and score better than they do, they just need to know what they are supposed to be doing in each situation and lessons help with this

Have as many lessons as you want and can afford — but they are good, esp short game lessons I have found

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My first ever lesson the pro said change the grip to the Vardy grip from baseball — after hitting the ball once with the Vardy grip, I’ve never ever once gone back.

It doesn’t take ages to bed in, just commit to any changes and don’t look back.

In my limited golfing experience, i would say that unless you are a low single figure handicapper, I would definitely have periodic (or regular) lessons and be open-minded

I had a 30 min lesson last week — changed my views (and what club to play and what I’m trying to achieve) on 50 yard and in pitch shots —- I think that most golfers have the ability to play better and score better than they do, they just need to know what they are supposed to be doing in each situation and lessons help with this

Have as many lessons as you want and can afford — but they are good, esp short game lessons I have found
Can I ask, what was the benefit of changing your grip? Firstly, what benefit did he say it would give, and secondly, did you see that benefit?

I've never had any interest in lessons before really, except for the period where I started shanking it, but then I sorted that out on my own. If I hadn't have been given a free lesson I probably wouldn't be doing one, but I am still open-minded and interested to see what thing he picks up on the most to potentially change.

That said, I'm never going to be someone who has regular lessons. It's just not my bag. Golf is for fun, it's not supposed to be work. I don't even like doing work at work let alone in my spare time. :LOL:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Can I ask, what was the benefit of changing your grip? Firstly, what benefit did he say it would give, and secondly, did you see that benefit?
At my first proper lesson the coach took me through the grip options. I was using Baseball grip at the time - having come from using same from many years as a Hockey player. I've never been able to get on with the interlocking grip - that provides maximum stability - but happily changed to overlap with almost no loss of 'power' and more accuracy.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
At my first proper lesson the coach took me through the grip options. I was using Baseball grip at the time - having come from using same from many years as a Hockey player. I've never been able to get on with the interlocking grip - that provides maximum stability - but happily changed to overlap with almost no loss of 'power' and more accuracy.
My grip is an overlap of sorts, but backwards. My left forefinger sits on top of my right pinkie. Imagine any decent pro would hate it. :LOL:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
After a couple of lessons. I've recently changed from a very weak grip to what is considered a normal grip. At first it felt very strange, like my right hand was underneath the club.

I was getting a high, spinney, weak fading ball flight which was caused by my weak grip and our to in delivery of the club face.

To remedy that, I need to make the grip change and also introduce a more neutral swing path into the ball.

It was difficult at first. And I had quite a few big misses left. But, after a few weeks and some time at the range, which I hate. I'm now seeing an improvement in my ball striking and getting a stronger more consistent ball flight as a result. And gained a bit of distance too, which is always a bonus.

I still have to really concentrate on what I'm doing out on the course as it doesn't feel natural just yet.

But the small amount of effort and going backwards for a few weeks is starting to pay dividends now.

D

Deleted member 3432

I've never had any interest in lessons before really, except for the period where I started shanking it, but then I sorted that out on my own. If I hadn't have been given a free lesson I probably wouldn't be doing one, but I am still open-minded and interested to see what thing he picks up on the most to potentially change.

That said, I'm never going to be someone who has regular lessons. It's just not my bag. Golf is for fun, it's not supposed to be work. I don't even like doing work at work let alone in my spare time. :LOL:

I think you are frightened of getting better :unsure:

Easy to be in a comfort zone where you are and got the easy out of saying I never practice and never had a lesson. Could be a good golfer in you with a little bit of effort on your part.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think you are frightened of getting better :unsure:

Easy to be in a comfort zone where you are and got the easy out of saying I never practice and never had a lesson. Could be a good golfer in you with a little bit of effort on your part.
Complete opposite. I'm more scared of trying to make changes that don't work out and my game goes to total rat turd and I can't break 100 anymore. You hear stories like that. Ultimately I don't want to ruin my enjoyment of the game, that's all. But I'm sure that's only in rare cases.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Complete opposite. I'm more scared of trying to make changes that don't work out and my game goes to total rat turd and I can't break 100 anymore. You hear stories like that. Ultimately I don't want to ruin my enjoyment of the game, that's all. But I'm sure that's only in rare cases.

You will be fine, yeah it takes time to fully bed in but once changes do bed it's so nice

Used to always slice My driver

8/10 I draw it now .. and on the others I normally have a controlled fade .. that's much better than fore right

D

Deleted member 3432

Do it now before you find yourself a few years onto a plateau with a lot a bad habits to get rid of.

A good pro will work with the good things in your swing and iron out the bad things.

You may find its only a few tweaks, sure it may feel weird but suddenly you may find yourself breaking 80 easily and whats not to like about that (y)

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Early on in my playing days I played with two past Captains of my club, after a shot one asked why I had done this or that (can't remember what) and replied that the pro had shown me what to do during a lesson. Both guys proudly said that they had never had a lesson in their life and my thought, but I didn't say, "yes I can see that"

Of course you want to improve and if you embrace what you are shown you will

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Changes always feel alien and take time to bed in. Just buy a grip trainer, stick it onto a spare club and sit with it while on the sofa watching tv or something.
The missus will think you're a nutter mind :LOL:
Mine got a bit fed up with a gap wedge in the back room and me waving it around like a wand ?

Last edited:

evemccc

Visit site

To be honest I did see a better shot, further and more accurate with better ball flight almost straight away...that is not to say I don't thin and fat the ball more than I'd like, but I feel I can and do hit it flusher, more often, and straighter more consistently with the Vardy grip IMO

If I was you - and based on what you've written you seem to be happy with your golf and have stated no wish to make lessons a more regular thing - I would ask the lesson to focus on one specific thing ---- chipping OR pitching OR bunker shots OR green reading etc. If you ask for a Driver lesson I would expect a can of worms or possible grip change and swing tinkering, which you've stated you do not want

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My pro always said the same thing

We can correct the symptoms of the problem like a hook or a slice or we can treat the cause (grip etc)

Get a good basic foundation and good golf follows

Anytime I have issues on the course go back to basics , get the grip right