If you had to drop your handicap by 5 shots over winter could you

• Thread starter Deleted member 21258
  • Start date

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Lets say you had been offered a chance to play Augusta next year, but your handicap had to be five shots lower.

Could you do it and what would you have to work on in order to get there or would you just say I don't want it enough to bother ?
NO I would need a magic pencil!

D

Deleted member 17920

Lets say you had been offered a chance to play Augusta next year, but your handicap had to be five shots lower.

Could you do it and what would you have to work on in order to get there or would you just say I don't want it enough to bother ?
No because I am actually rubbish at this game.

If I could drop 1 shot in a year that would be remarkable.

Augusta will just have to wait for me to ruin the place.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
If I just put 9 hole cards, I would have a chance, our front 9 is rated and I regularly play it in 37-39,but dropping to 6 would be a struggle.

Dasit

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Yes would be up for the challenge

Maybe make it worth my while of a hundred K cash prize too and I will go the range a few cold evenings a qeek

12 to 7 seems achieveable. Plenty of 7 handicaps I know don’t play great golf but they score decent. I need to figure out where I am losing shots to them and start working on those areas.

AMcC

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing off Plus 1 already I doubt it, I'd be trying to get on tour if I could. Probably 1 or 2 shots if I put I the required effort

As a follow up to the original post, It would be interesting to hear what you thought you needed to work on to shave something off your handicap. How would it vary from us higher handicappers ?

I played a couple of weeks ago with a guy who was aged 19 and off plus 3 but had started the season at 1 so that is a huge drop at that level. He did say " full time amateur" at one point though :rolleyes:

Sports_Fanatic

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Playing sporadically, with a handicap of 13.5 I think I'd stand a chance if someone was assigning me a "new" handicap at the end of Winter (i.e. ignoring current handicap system). It would however require me to completely change current prioritise of family and work, so that I could play and practice a significant amount more. I may just be being naïve though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
As a follow up to the original post, It would be interesting to hear what you thought you needed to work on to shave something off your handicap. How would it vary from us higher handicappers ?

I played a couple of weeks ago with a guy who was aged 19 and off plus 3 but had started the season at 1 so that is a huge drop at that level. He did say " full time amateur" at one point though :rolleyes:
Sandy Scott at ours went from +1 to +5 in about 6 months, but he was a full time am during that time, before he went to Uni in the US. he was shooting the lights out almost every round

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Nope.

If I really really set my mind to it, maybe I could do it over the course of a summer (actually, I did this year, but only because my handicap is still pretty high, so there is always potential), but in winter? Working a normal 9 to 5 job, I have zero practice time during the week (no floodlit driving range or indoor facility available anywhere near), practice greens and other short game facilities close down most of the time due to frost or just too much rain and there are no qualifying competitions until April. The only chance would be to take three months of sabbatical leave and go somewhere south.

D

Deleted member 21258

Surprised by the number of people who say it isn't achievable.

I think I could do it, subject to body taking the big increase in practise and changing things in my swing.

To go from +1 to +5, that is impressive(y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Surprised by the number of people who say it isn't achievable.

I think I could do it, subject to body taking the big increase in practise and changing things in my swing.

To go from +1 to +5, that is impressive(y)
i suppose it would depend on what your starting handicap is, prob easier if you are cat 3 and 4 to drop 5 shots with increments of 0.4 and 0.3 a couple off good scores and and ESR would do the trick. once in cat 1 its only 0.1 per shot under CSS, maybe once the new system comes it that might change?

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
i suppose it would depend on what your starting handicap is, prob easier if you are cat 3 and 4 to drop 5 shots with increments of 0.4 and 0.3 a couple off good scores and and ESR would do the trick. once in cat 1 its only 0.1 per shot under CSS, maybe once the new system comes it that might change?
Yep - at 25% reduction it's more of a comparable task. But of course that doesn't sit with the original premise!