If this is the autumn, what's winter going to be like ...

jimbob.someroo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
As the light has been fading sooner, and I can't get out of work before 6, my evening golf has now come to an end for the year. With the addition of a lady friend a few months back and starting freelance writing for a music website, I've struggled for time to get down to the range (at all) or the indoor place where I went 5 or 6 times a month at this time last year.

As such, I've been getting a bit bored during the week - not getting my fix.

So my ridiculous purchases in the last couple of weeks have included a new driver shaft - one that's not as stiff as the shaft I was fitted for back at the start of the year. The thinking being that now I've played a full season since starting again, my tempo should be better and I don't need to lash at it quite as hard. Results yet unproven.

And today, a guy from my club who owns an indoor place which stocks cleveland wedges advertised the last day of their sale whereby you got £25 off any wedge trade in against a new custom fit cleveland. I've ended up walking out with two, (52 & 58), despite being absolutely skint at the moment and having to pay for one next month.

This has all happened in the 3 weeks since I've stopped being able to go down for 9 holes after work. The only saving grace is that my bag is now totally new since the start of the year with the Taylormade's (thank you again GM) and the two wedges, to add to the cleveland putter I picked up midway through.

If I so much as hint of buying another club / golf thing between now and next year either on here or at the HFH day, somebody please slap me.

Sure I wont be the only one adding some gear though as we actually get out on the course less though, will I GIBBO?

D

Deleted Member 1156

Sadly we have now got to that time of year where we pray the weekends will be dry otherwise it's no golf for another week :confused:

Siren

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I know how you feel. Nipping up with the lad for a few holes has become a regular ritual and it seems as though we only get the chance to have a chip and putt now that hes back in school.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I currently work part time in a garage after being laid off 4 years ago and it's been great being able to play during the week when I've had the time but that may well be coming to an end after having an interview Monday morning. It's looking good so far and would mean I'm working full time again and only able to play at weekends during the winter months. Got to wait till Friday to find out and then give my 2 weeks notice in but money is more important that golfing. Fingers crossed I get it!

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Living/working in the city seems to have that drawback, back home I would be playing evening golf from the clocks going forward in Spring to them going back in Autumn, by the time I got to the front door at home last night it was actually dark! Does make me think that 4 or 5 years of this will be enough after that I'll be heading for greener areas. (hopefully with a full bank account!)

Khamelion

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well if I take the title of the post literally, from what I read about the long range forcast for this winter, the expectation is that it will be the same if not slightly worse than last winter. Very cold, wet, icey and lots of snow.

So anyone fancy a weekend in the sun, get a few bods from the forum out to a course where sun is gauranteed, couple of rounds and a few beers.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Well if I take the title of the post literally, from what I read about the long range forcast for this winter, the expectation is that it will be the same if not slightly worse than last winter. Very cold, wet, icey and lots of snow.

So anyone fancy a weekend in the sun, get a few bods from the forum out to a course where sun is gauranteed, couple of rounds and a few beers.

I heard the same. I'm expecting plenty of temp greens through frost and weeks or even a month lost to snow. Cold and wet I can deal with but I hate playing when we have temp greens and would rather go off and work on my game at a heated range.

Andy808

Tour Winner
Visit site
I heard the same. I'm expecting plenty of temp greens through frost and weeks or even a month lost to snow. Cold and wet I can deal with but I hate playing when we have temp greens and would rather go off and work on my game at a heated range.

What is this fictional "snow" you speak of?
Don't see that very often down here!:)