I wonder...........

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
how many stars will play the Scottish Open at Loch Lomond next year??

I know the wind was tough at Birkdale, but playing an"American" Style target course the week before the Open does seem a bit daft. Lets face it, Padraig hasn't played it the last two years and - oh- he won the Open!!!! Twice!!! In sucessive years!!!!

Seems to me that the ideal warm-up for the Open is playing the Irish PGA or knocking it about on some other links. Don't forget Tiger does this too. Will the likes of Mickleson,Els,Rose,Garcia, etc etc etc try the same tactic next year? Could turn the Scottish into an ordinary European Tour event.

B

birdieman

Mickelson prepares better than any but he just doesn't have a great links game.
Harrington was brought up playing coastal courses in a poor climate, a bit like Paul Lawrie years ago.
McDowell still made decent job of Birkdale bar Thursday because he too was brought up on links golf.
I don't think missing 4 days to play Loch Lomond makes any difference.
The fact Loch Lomond is so far away from a links event makes it better as a tournament, if it was played on a links it would really just be the poor mans Open, as it is it's a great tournament in it's own right.
Can't see players dropping playing it, it's a big money purse too.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I think a few played it this year to a) try and get into the Open and B) chase Ryder Cup points. If it wasn't Ryder Cup year I don't think as many of the higher ranked Europeans would have played.

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seems to me that if anyone is serious about playing on a windy links course and wants to do well it would be worth spending the week before at a similar club/course.
Some players needed to play for various reasons at Loch Lomond, a week spent next door (e.g. at Hillside) would seem a much more sensible idea.

rgs

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Harrington played in a 4 day tournament The Irish PGA both in 2007 & 2008 preceding the Open-The Irish PGA moved the event to this date and a lnks course at Harringtons suggestion-in hindsight a great decision.
IMHO the biggest difference between practising on links and playing a tournament is the fact you only have one ball in tournament play and need to play at tournament pace-whereas in practise you can always hit another ball and hit numerous putts on the green.
The Scottsh Open will stay a top event for a few reasons-last chance to get into the Open and the significant prize money on offer.

The 3 local PGA units i.e Welsh,Scottish & English PGA should organise their own event that week on a links course and see if the top local pros turn up.