I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played in the afternoon in a little match with my 24 handicap mate (him receiving 9 shots). Course is still soft and muddy - weather was lovely and warm but with 35mph winds blowing across. Worst thing was probably how long the rough is now though as they've just not been able to cut it, presumably.

My mate started badly so I went 3 up after 3, but then he won two shots holes in a row. We continued in that vein until the 9th when we finally halved a hole! I went to 3 up again before he pulled it back to 1 on the 15th, I held on to half two of his shot holes 16 & 17, then won the 18th with a tidy par to win it 2 up.

30 points for me which I was quite pleased with given the conditions. Five pars, although had two really good birdie opportunities on par 3s that were narrowly missed. I played the wind alright, in some respects I don't mind a strong cross-wind - at least it takes away the thoughts of whether it'll fade it or pull it, whichever one it is the wind direction will tell me where it's going! Struck some nice irons as well which has been the problem lately so that was encouraging.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Strewth. I thought yesterday was windy. Today was brutal. Just a roll up this morning but some wag decided to make it difficult by playing off the whites, even though winds locally were gusting up to 60mph.

So well pleased with 30 points and another share of the pot.

Mandofred

Visit site
Bit windy this morning...nothing too bad. I really didn't think the course was going to be open today....raining hard when I went to bed. Really need a couple of dry days so the mowers can get back out on the course. Hand mowing the greens this morning.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
14 holes of complete dross yesterday, both my golf and the pace of play, 4hrs to that point.

13 holes of good golf this morning, crazy wind and no warm up, was +3 when we finished 🤯

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Played the Bracken today because of the chompers in the Central England foursomes using the Hotchkin. First spin on the course since September last year.

Greens and tees were spot on but the rest of the course is a bog. Should not be open really.

samthom99

Visit site
Played in the 1st monthly medal of the year today and shot a 76 -2 handicap. Played really well and hit my driver well too. Made a few changes over the winter and its nice to finally see it come into play.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Texas scramble today in 40mph winds that gusted higher. Our 480 p4 played driver driver mid iron (by 4capper). Ive never seen our course play so long.

Ps, I hacked!

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We played the first round of the Manchester & district ladies team knockout today, We tried to get an extension on the closing day due to all the rain, but to know avail, although they did allow matches to be played over a minimum 14 holes and fortunately we had 14 open. So we played on a very wet course.
Happily I won my match 5&4, my shots to the green and my putting were very good, which was nice as that is usually where I slip up.
We won the first 4 matches out of 7 so ended up with a relatively straight forward team victory. I really hope the weather improves before the next match.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
First comp of year for which we’ve been able to set up the course to be acceptable for WHS. April Sunday Medal played off White tees and, as someone else has described it, the wind was brutal. Not reaching par 5s with good drives and two well hit 5w. Thinking of taking driver into a par3. Playing down our 17 and 18 was like walking against the wind in a wind tunnel. Absolutely knackering.

Somehow got it round in 8…my handicap until the change..now 7. Going to be interesting to see if there’s a PCC - there must be something as the scoring was up there, way up there where it shouldn’t be.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
A steady couple of days shooting two over handicap both days in those difficult windy conditions. Too many errors including not scoring on our SI 18 (short par 3) but in terms of where my game is I'm happy. Short game still hurting me but that can be worked on

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
The guy I played against yesterday afternoon in a singles inter club scratch game is probably the longest hitter I have played against. My driver carries about 240 yards on average. A hit with his 3 wood and the ball was still going up when it passed my ball. Must have been a good 50 yards ahead of me. He wasn’t thrashing at it either. A lovely smooth swing. However, he was about 6’8” with arms like an orangutan 🤣

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
The guy I played against yesterday afternoon in a singles inter club scratch game is probably the longest hitter I have played against. My driver carries about 240 yards on average. A hit with his 3 wood and the ball was still going up when it passed my ball. Must have been a good 50 yards ahead of me. He wasn’t thrashing at it either. A lovely smooth swing. However, he was about 6’8” with arms like an orangutan 🤣
orangutan golfer.jpg

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
First comp of year for which we’ve been able to set up the course to be acceptable for WHS. April Sunday Medal played off White tees and, as someone else has described it, the wind was brutal. Not reaching par 5s with good drives and two well hit 5w. Thinking of taking driver into a par3. Playing down our 17 and 18 was like walking against the wind in a wind tunnel. Absolutely knackering.

Somehow got it round in 8…my handicap until the change..now 7. Going to be interesting to see if there’s a PCC - there must be something as the scoring was up there, way up there where it shouldn’t be.
PCC of 1 sees my HI down to 6.9 - equalling by lowest ever under WHS. CH of 7 off whites and singles strokeplay PH of 6. Target for this year was handicap of 6 so after only one acceptable WHS round I might be able to say that I’ve got there.

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Family pairs yesterday with buggerlugs - BB Stableford at Dewsbury - he made a par up the first then I picked up the majority of the points on the front nine (my extra shots helping out). Nice chip in birdie on the 10th for me - unexpected as it was into the strong wind we had yesterday. Disappointing pair of doubles on the downwind 11th then we scrambled a few points on 12 and 13 back into the wind. Finished up on 38 - ten short of the winners - a score pretty much unattainable off our handicaps given the conditions.

Hit the driver lovely - I've popped the shaft from my old Cobra F6, into the F9 head that Jamie had -which he's now replaced with the Ai Smoke. I can't get the distance out of it that the boy gets out of the Callaway though, even when I absolutely get hold of one. I'm hitting it straight though - probably around 220 which I'll take in current conditions.

Visit site
Played Sharpley yesterday evening, we went there reluctantly based on recent experiences but basically there was no other option. Hardly a soul around and it was an absolute pleasure. If only it could be like that more often! Spongy in places but otherwise in good nick. For some reason, the ball wasn't travelling through the air as far as normal, we put it down to the eclipse changing atmospheric conditions. Shot 86 with numerous near-misses on the green.

PaulMdj

Visit site
Played Sharpley yesterday evening, we went there reluctantly based on recent experiences but basically there was no other option. Hardly a soul around and it was an absolute pleasure. If only it could be like that more often! Spongy in places but otherwise in good nick. For some reason, the ball wasn't travelling through the air as far as normal, we put it down to the eclipse changing atmospheric conditions. Shot 86 with numerous near-misses on the green.
County Seniors 4BBB meant to be there today, Course is closed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'll have to remember that one next time I stuff it short of the green. (y)