I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played Tains opening match yesterday, captain Vs Vice. for some reason it was a shotgun start rather than the normal. played with 18, 17 and 10 handicaps. i started OK, considering i hadnt touched a club in 2 weeks again. went 3 up by the time we got to the first, but our oppo came to life once they had topped up on Cider... ( we started at 9am) we lost one down, my partner wasn't in a single hole :ROFLMAO: .

nice to be back on the full course and not as bad a shock to the sustem as Nairn when it goes back to full course after 5 months on mats and very short course

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Annoyed

First medal of the year on Saturday. Ticking along at 4 over my handicap after 14 holes. Thunder starts (it had been closing in for the previous 20 minutes) along with big hailstones that turned the 14th green white in moments. I also forgot since I got caught in a hailstorm as a goalkeeper how much they sting until I could get my brolly up

The siren went off and as per our club policy we marked our balls (having teed off 15 before the siren) and headed off the course. Got back in the clubhouse and one PP couldn't go back out as they were due in work and my other didn't as they had done their handicap on the front 9 and were happy to NR. I had no playing partner left. I spoke to the handicap secretary to try and find someone but several groups immediately behind me had already headed out (the restart siren having gone) and those further behind weren't heading back out. After 20 minutes of finding a game I called it a day and had to NR.

Annoyed on 2 fronts as I pride myself on not returning an NR and I'd rather grind it out as much as possible. Secondly that no club members or those in charge of the comp seemed particularly bothered about my plight. I wasn't going to win overall. I accept that but with a par 5, granted a really difficult hole at the 16th and then a par3 and par 5 finish felt I had a chance to at least come out of that level handicap. I'll never know

I have put a somewhat disgruntled email into the handicap committee, GM and captain but don't expect much will change

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Having had number 4 & 5 skin cancer items cut out last Sunday I couldn't afford to risk the dressings getting wet on Sat which turned out to be a shocker of a day, so, as it was open for 2 days, I played on the Sunday which was a glorious day. 38pts from 16 holes won the day very comfortably & will no doubt raise the issue of having Comps over 2 days.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Having had number 4 & 5 skin cancer items cut out last Sunday I couldn't afford to risk the dressings getting wet on Sat which turned out to be a shocker of a day, so, as it was open for 2 days, I played on the Sunday which was a glorious day. 38pts from 16 holes won the day very comfortably & will no doubt raise the issue of having Comps over 2 days.

I had no idea, I genuinely wish you well. (y)

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I had no idea, I genuinely wish you well. (y)
Thanks for the kind words. Yes I'm afraid that 30+ years of teaching PE outdoors every Summer as well as my other outdoor activities have built up various vulnerable areas, though none malignant, thankfully. Me 40 years ago gives you a fair idea of where the problem comes from...... must say I've had a great outdoor life
Screenshot_20220702-193317_Gallery.jpg

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hmmm, groovy shorts right there!
I'm so glad there's nothing malignant, what a relief!
Sounds like you dodged a few bullets in your time.

Springveldt

Visit site
Thanks for the kind words. Yes I'm afraid that 30+ years of teaching PE outdoors every Summer as well as my other outdoor activities have built up various vulnerable areas, though none malignant, thankfully. Me 40 years ago gives you a fair idea of where the problem comes from...... must say I've had a great outdoor life
View attachment 52533
At the risk of sounding not very PC here but it looks like you have blackfaced yourself.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hmmm, groovy shorts right there!
I'm so glad there's nothing malignant, what a relief!
Sounds like you dodged a few bullets in your time.

At the risk of sounding not very PC here but it looks like you have blackfaced yourself.
Haha... pic was taken in Fiji after spending a year living in NZ so plenty of UV exposure with no 'screening' lotions available in those days, just stuff to turn you rite brown, rite quick!

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Haha... pic was taken in Fiji after spending a year living in NZ so plenty of UV exposure with no 'screening' lotions available in those days, just stuff to turn you rite brown, rite quick!
My dad was similar. Teacher, did a lot of football coaching throughout the year, summer in particular. Always a deep colour, in summer he matched your face. I remember him using coconut oil on holiday, probably factor 2 at best :oops:. He didn't live long enough to catch skin cancer but I have no doubt he would have had issues had he done so. Different times, different times............

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
My dad was similar. Teacher, did a lot of football coaching throughout the year, summer in particular. Always a deep colour, in summer he matched your face. I remember him using coconut oil on holiday, probably factor 2 at best :oops:. He didn't live long enough to catch skin cancer but I have no doubt he would have had issues had he done so. Different times, different times............
A friend of mine used to swear by carrot oil, factor 4. He is commonly referred to as Leatherface (not to his face).

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Played St Annes Old Links this morning with the brother in law - shows how wet its been in the NW when even they had their 16th closed due to waterlogging.

Never played well there before (never even broken 90!) So was very shocked and delighted to reach the turn just 3 over having played some really solid golf!

Ended up shooting a 75 (+6) that included 4 birdies over the 17 holes for 46 points 😂.

Got to caveat this with there being 3 holes that were playing a good 50 yards shorter than normal but my irons and wedges were very good and my driver wasn't so bad that I could find them, albeit in admittedly short rough.

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Great day at Minchinghamoton. 3 4 balls and we may have snuck 4th place, Bot sure how. Team LiverpoolPhil!! Swinger and Laurie bith steady, even with Laurie on his new handicap after recent 50-point episode! 😱. Back in hotel after curry and a few beers, with the hotel attached beefeater bar closing at a shocking 9pm! Cleave Cloud tomorrow and there may be rain 😪

Another WhatsApp meet?

Singlefiguregokfer

Visit site
Great day at Minchinghamoton. 3 4 balls and we may have snuck 4th place, Bot sure how. Team LiverpoolPhil!! Swinger and Laurie bith steady, even with Laurie on his new handicap after recent 50-point episode! 😱. Back in hotel after curry and a few beers, with the hotel attached beefeater bar closing at a shocking 9pm! Cleave Cloud tomorrow and there may be rain 😪
Did you play the Old Course?
It’s a very characterful course, although not a patch on Cleeve Hill.
One of the best fun tracks I’ve ever played. With amazing views of the surroundings Cotswolds.

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Did you play the Old Course?
It’s a very characterful course, although not a patch on Cleeve Hill.
One of the best fun tracks I’ve ever played. With amazing views of the surroundings Cotswolds.

Agree. Minch was great fun and would go back again. But Cleeve Hill was awesome and can't wait to get back in better weather. Mental course built on the highest point in the Cotswolds. A lot of similarities to Perranporth but instead of the sea you have views of Cheltenham.

Fantastic 2 days away with some forum guys (Swinger, Cake, Topoftheflop) and a lot of ex forum legends including JamesR, The Rod, Drive4Show, LiverpoolPhil, Pieman, Murphthemog, and some friends of the above.

The courses were also amazing value at a time of never-ending rampant greenfee-inflation. Would also like to try Painswick and Kington in the above areas.

Looking forward to many more mini meets and hopefully the Arrange a Game section can start behaving like it used to when I met all of the friends above

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I was supposed to play today, but didn't because it rained yesterday. The course was fine but the roofer who was going to repair the garage roof of the lad I was playing with cried off because of the rain and decided to do it today, which meant he couldn't play and so we re-arranged for tomorrow.

Because of this I decided to spend the day aerating my front lawn which has been battered by the wet winter. I was doing it the old-fashioned way with a garden fork and had almost finished when "Old Faithful" erupted, I put the fork through the water main into the house.

I knew what I was going to find after digging down to the pipe, 1970s 21mm Alkathene, not your everyday plumbing consumable. After sourcing the bits I needed, repairing and making good, I went and got the 5-year-old basher twins from school, fed and bathed them before returning them to their mother.

If it hadn't rained yesterday ...................................................

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

sounds like youve been out drinking with Pieman lol