I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played this morning and to be honest the course should've been closed.

+5 for the first 9 as I couldn’t putt for toffee.

-2 on the 2nd go so a decent day out

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Course was open today, shouldn't have been, for the front 9 only. 3 temps ☹. It was a pleasant walk, nice to whack a ball. My pp both cancelled overnight, don't blame them, but it meant I was a solo golfer in a bunch of four balls. I played the first 5, missed the next 2, dull par 5's running parallel, and cut across to 8. I couldn't slot in but did get onto 9 without interfering with any other group. Nice to get out.

One thing, @Orikoru , i tried putting a little weight on my left side, one of the 127 tips given to you recently. It worked very well. I definitely had cleaner hits, more height. Certainly something to persevere with.
Glad it worked for someone...

My terrible golf continues to get worse by the week. Got there early for a warm-up again, after the two decent driving range sessions this week, more weight on the left side seemed to be working ok. Still started with two doubles. Then from our fifth hole onwards I developed a five-hole dose of the Shanky and Benny's which earned me two blobs, two doubles, and surprisingly and up-and-down par. Somehow navigated my way around this and started striking it a little better towards the back end of the round. So of course while my strike gets better my putting goes in the absolute bin and I three-putt three of the last six holes.

93 gross again, 26 points and I'm getting very tired of this now. Tired and upset.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
38 points for me this morning. I’m continuing to strike it really well, my short game is tidy and I holed out really well when I did get myself in bother to maintain some momentum.

Problem is, I know my game. The wheel has to come off at some point very soon……….

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site

My terrible golf continues to get worse by the week. Got there early for a warm-up again, after the two decent driving range sessions this week, more weight on the left side seemed to be working ok. Still started with two doubles. Then from our fifth hole onwards I developed a five-hole dose of the Shanky and Benny's which earned me two blobs, two doubles, and surprisingly and up-and-down par. Somehow navigated my way around this and started striking it a little better towards the back end of the round. So of course while my strike gets better my putting goes in the absolute bin and I three-putt three of the last six holes.

93 gross again, 26 points and I'm getting very tired of this now. Tired and upset.
It's winter golf, treat scoring as a very loose affair.

Dingy

Visit site
Played yesterday, first game in 3 months due to work, weather and holidays. Played suprisingly well and was a few under par. Course was in great condition considering the time of year and the recent weather. Not long to the start of the season and I can start playing like a dumpling again:LOL::LOL:

D

Deleted member 15344

Welcome to a golf slump , it happens to everyone and it’s just about going out and playing through it

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It's winter golf, treat scoring as a very loose affair.
I can't really blame the mud for hitting Hilary Swanks. 🤣

Welcome to a golf slump , it happens to everyone and it’s just about going out and playing through it
I've never been this consistently bad before. Usually there is some upside somewhere, a half decent round in amongst it. But right now I've not broken 90 since mid-December. One £50 lesson has completely ruined my life. 😂

(Since I know you take everything literally, don't worry, I was indeed exaggerating for the purpose of humour.)

D

Deleted member 15344

I can't really blame the mud for hitting Hilary Swanks. 🤣

I've never been this consistently bad before. Usually there is some upside somewhere, a half decent round in amongst it. But right now I've not broken 90 since mid-December. One £50 lesson has completely ruined my life. 😂

(Since I know you take everything literally, don't worry, I was indeed exaggerating for the purpose of humour.)

It happens - there isn’t one golfer that doesn’t go through it at some point

If a lesson has looked to make some changes then it’s always worth having another so the pro can see what’s the issue

Or they are changes that need work to get them natural

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It happens - there isn’t one golfer that doesn’t go through it at some point

If a lesson has looked to make some changes then it’s always worth having another so the pro can see what’s the issue

Or they are changes that need work to get them natural
I'm thinking more down the "never having another lesson again in my life" route to be honest. I think I find it too hard to change what's natural, and I'm an overthinker so it does my head in trying to figure it out at the same time. I've learned my lesson now (no pun intended) - I was happier chopping it round in the mid-80s and not worrying about what my swing's doing. I just want to have that life back.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm thinking more down the "never having another lesson again in my life" route to be honest. I think I find it too hard to change what's natural, and I'm an overthinker so it does my head in trying to figure it out at the same time. I've learned my lesson now (no pun intended) - I was happier chopping it round in the mid-80s and not worrying about what my swing's doing. I just want to have that life back.

If you are happy with being a mid handicapper then yes I’d agree don’t have another lesson. Just enjoy playing, socials with the swindle and don’t worry about the score.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Good round in the swindle, had 22 pts front 9 and started the back 9 with a birdie. But just kind of backed off with 17 points for the back nine.
Good enough result, bit tired at the end pace of play was good.
Driver behaved and I was dumping the ball close on the par 3s ( nearly holed out twice for a one😳😳)

D

Deleted member 15344

The question you need to ask yourself is why did you go for a lesson in the first place

If it’s because you are looking to improve then it’s not going to be a simple quick result , it takes time and practice for that to happen and potentially more lessons

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The question you need to ask yourself is why did you go for a lesson in the first place

If it’s because you are looking to improve then it’s not going to be a simple quick result , it takes time and practice for that to happen and potentially more lessons
This kind of speak just annoys me after a while. (Not aimed at you, everyone says it.) Why shouldn't you expect a pretty quick improvement after paying out £50 for someone to supposedly improve your swing? And wouldn't you improve from hours of practise anyway, even if you didn't have a lesson?

If you are happy with being a mid handicapper then yes I’d agree don’t have another lesson. Just enjoy playing, socials with the swindle and don’t worry about the score.
Why would I not worry about the score?? The score is the whole point of playing otherwise you might as well be whacking balls round a field or on the driving range.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
This kind of speak just annoys me after a while. (Not aimed at you, everyone says it.) Why shouldn't you expect a pretty quick improvement after paying out £50 for someone to supposedly improve your swing? And wouldn't you improve from hours of practise anyway, even if you didn't have a lesson?

Why would I not worry about the score?? The score is the whole point of playing otherwise you might as well be whacking balls round a field or on the driving range.

Isn’t that all golf is anyway?

You’ve done a Phil and taken what I said too literally. You were someone who was shooting in the 80’s consistently before the lesson, in saying don’t worry about the score I meant don’t let having an off day and shooting in the 90’s bother you in the way that it is now.

There are plenty of people who play golf and do not care one bit about the score, the social side can be just as important as the numbers. It’s nice to play without keeping score, just enjoying the course/company etc.

On the improvement side, it can take a while as you are moving to something that isn’t natural to you. Depending what the change you are trying to do improvements can be quick or they can take a while to bed in.

D

Deleted member 15344

I’m struggling where to start with that

The cost of the lesson is irrelevant- it doesn’t matter if it’s a £10 lesson or a £250 Dan Grieve lesson - they take time for any change to start to become more natural

You have been playing the sport one way , you wanted to improve - a single lessons won’t do that , it may help you try and fix some issues but even then you still need to work on whatever changes they recommend for them to become second nature

A lesson isn’t a magic instant fix , some may have a eureka moment but for most it will take a bit of patience and practice for any changes to come naturally

And practice wont automatically mean improvement if you are just practicing bad drills or faults , you will just be end up having any fault more ingrained

Golf is hard , it takes hard work and lots of hitting of balls to improve

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site

Paragraph 1 - If the lesson is something that doesn't require any change to your swing, such as a course management lesson, then you should see instant results. But if it requires a change in your swing it's not something that you can achieve right away. Your swing will be natural to you and if you're one of the great majority, it won't be a good swing. There are very few golfers who are blessed with a good natural swing.

Paragraph 2 - If you do want to improve your scoring but don't want to take lessons then you will have to accept a limit to your improvement based on your natural swing and how far from the ideal it is.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Isn’t that all golf is anyway?

You’ve done a Phil and taken what I said too literally. You were someone who was shooting in the 80’s consistently before the lesson, in saying don’t worry about the score I meant don’t let having an off day and shooting in the 90’s bother you in the way that it is now.

There are plenty of people who play golf and do not care one bit about the score, the social side can be just as important as the numbers. It’s nice to play without keeping score, just enjoying the course/company etc.

On the improvement side, it can take a while as you are moving to something that isn’t natural to you. Depending what the change you are trying to do improvements can be quick or they can take a while to bed in.
Sorry, thought you meant don't worry about the score in a Crow type way. 😁