I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HeftyHacker

Visit site
I don't mind wind, and I don't mind rain. But i draw the line when they combine.

Unfortunately that seems to have been most of the autumn/winter so far.

AussieKB

Visit site
Just got home 5.41pm and it's 36C degrees, shot 1 over the front 9 but heat got me on the back to shoot 4 over, so 5 over total 77.

Played with a Yorkshire man who has been out here for years, loves the heat, always thought Boycott was a nut, now I know the entire county must be....ha ha

Next game is Wednesday and the forecast is for a cool 37C degrees.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Not only were we fully open this morning after the deluge 48 hours ago, but played our first qualifier of the year.

35 points with a couple of silly blobs. Well pleased with the way I’m playing this early in the year.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just the back 9 this morning, carry only.
Looked like the light mist was going to turn into a real pea souper but it stayed high enough to not bother the course.
Having lived in this area all my life, I can't remember the water table being so high.
Even the chalk is soaked and can't take any more...
Struck the ball nicely and made just 2 bogeys on the 2 hardest holes - the 528 yard 15th par 5 and the 426 yard 17th par 4.
In my defence I was driving with a 5 wood so not unhappy with nett pars on those 2.
Forecasting fog tomorrow morning and light rain after lunch so it might be another day in front of the telly.....

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
My course was shut today so had the pleasure of playing at Woburn with my friend who is a member. 2nd time playing The Duchess - 4 temp greens - was pretty wet underfoot but ultimately the course was in decent condition considering.

We just did straight up matchplay. I was 3 down after 7 or 8 but managed to claw it back to AS, the first time I went up in the match was after 14, a little bit of back and forth but I won the 17th to go 1 up and we halved the 18th for the overall win :)

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Been playing absolute pants over the past few months (25 pts seemed like a very good score) so quite pleased that I've started hitting the ball a bit (a lot?) better over the past 2 or 3 weeks. Just strengthening my grip a little seems to have made all the difference. Shots are now much straighter, rather than all over the place. Now had 7 consecutive rounds in the low 30's (pts) and had 7 consecutive rounds with the same ball. Might not seem a lot to many folk - but it's a lot better than the whole of last year and hopefully indicates I'm on the road to recovery.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Open yesterday for 18 holes and carry only, but a few back nine holes shortened as some fairways saturated. But what was most depressing was how the area of fairway, that had just a few days ago eventually drained after being flooded from winter deluges, was back completely flooded again. The whole area of fairway affected will need returfed and it must be desperately depressing for the greens team.

The great news is that Surrey council have budgeted and scheduled work for later this year on the road that effectively dams the natural water flow from the course causing the road and North Downs Way to flood badly and virtually impassably. The road and high road verges act as a dam and the water floods the road and back onto the course.

Anyway…had 4 birdies yesterday…but there were some bonkers stableford scores by high handicappers with double shots on some of the shortened holes. My back nine 23pts was good but I not as good as the 28 one of the group put in.

I take much satisfaction from my batch of birdies…all done on full length holes. And that bodes well for things to come as it follows on from the 5 I had a couple of rounds back.

Last edited:

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Last 16 of the winter league 4bbb today which we won 3&1.

3rd round with the new irons and they are bedding in nicely, also had a lesson on Friday and made a couple of subtle changes which are definitely improving the swing.

Ended up with a 73 gross, so all in all a good day.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Nice little plod around my old course. 37pts with a lost ball but I’ll take that with a pinch of salt given 4 temps had larger holes. Generally hit the ball well, good company so all is right in the world.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Good news: course was open, and the weather was beautiful. Here endeth the good news.

More absolute turd from me. Front nine of zero pars and only 11 points. Just have no idea what the ball is going to do at the moment, could be a 50 yard slice, could be a straight pull 40 yards left, could be a fat, could be a skinny heel strike. Even managed a Hilary Swank as well. Lucky I had that lesson for better strike and more consistency. 🙄

Back nine was much improved as I managed three pars in the space of four holes, almost started to believe I'd got it together before promptly doubling the 17th & 18th both with three-putts. Final score of 26 points (93 gross). I guess it wasn't as bad as last week.

An old football mate joined me and my usual three ball so we did a betterball Stableford match, me and him (off 27) against my two mates (12 & 25). I had not played with football friend before, he had a tendency of absolutely striping the 3 wood - which he hit off the deck even on the tee-box because he says he hits it better that way - but his short game and approach game let him down a few times. Despite my poor performance we found ourselves 2 up after 8, before losing the 9th. Despite them both having 19 individual points and us having 17 & 11, we were one up - match play is a funny old game. Stayed that way for a while until they finally drew level on the 14th, took the lead on 17 and won the last to finish 2 up - we couldn't hold out and paper the cracks for long enough unfortunately. Good match though.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Finally had a day for my new found fair weather golfness to get a game. Considering I'd not touched a club in well over a month, surprisingly good, 3 under gross. Should have put a card in. One hole was closed, the 14th , but when we got there everyone else was playing it anyway.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
1st handicap card of the year....and what a waste of time....
Long game absolutely gash
Apart from 4 drivers, anything longer than 8 iron would have had the same result had I used a putter....
Short game was on point though....
Putting decent but the greens were slow and bumpy.
But that long game........:LOL::poop:

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
yesterday I played at Ferrybridge, an interesting 9 hole course but quite new, as the old course was taken over by the development of the Ferrybridge Nuclear power station or at least that is what I was told.
The course was very dry considering it had rained a lot the night before and several courses in the area were closed. that said we were on only 3 of the nine greens, so playing on temps or the other holes.
It was a society and I played really well and a lot better than the the last time i played with them. I went round in 75, 3 over par, which is my best ever return against par, so even though there were a lot of temps I was very pleased. I had registered the round before I found out about the temps, so sadly had to cancel it ,shame as I wouldn't have minded the cut at all.
It was a Stableford competition and I scored 44 points, I didn't win as someone had 46.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Seniors section team comp today, The Grim Reaper, 4BBB teams split into extremely old farts and very old farts, I was one of the younger.

8 clubs in a carry bag as course very soft again:
Mizuno White Fang 1 and 5 woods.
George Nicoll Pinsplitter 4, 6, 8 & 9 irons
Bronty Chipper (y) (first time in the bag)
New Valiant putter (first time in the bag)

Couldn't decide whether to use a putter grip or iron grip for the chipper, but after a rubbish first attempt I managed a couple of decent ones.

Our opponents weren't having the greatest day and we won 9 holes, they won 3, all matches played to 18th.
Very old farts were the overall winners.