I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Zig

Visit site
Blowing a proper hoolie today.
Happy to with my tee shots and iron play but putting let me down on a few holes.
Scored 29 points.

Fab weekend...
Fri night flight from Newcastle to Belfast.
Sat - drive to west coast and to the description-defying Carne Golf Course in Belmullet.
Sun - north to Ballyliffin and the Glashedy course there.
Sun night, flight back to Newcastle.

Blummin brilliant. And, incredibly, managed 34 holes in the dry, only raining for one hole each day.

I wish I had the vocabulary to bring Carne to life in words. There is nothing like it in the UK to the best of my knowledge!!

Back home to washing golf kit/clubs, while thinking where the next weekend away could be!! :)

D

Deleted member 25172

What’s gone wrong mate?

Guess it’s a mix of three things.

1. Technique
2. Lack of confidence
3. Bad back

Add all three together and voila, I’m now struggling to break 90. Hopefully I’ll find “it” again at some point, but there’s not a lot of fun being on a golf course, which is a real shame as I don’t have any other interest really.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played yesterday and shot about 800 over par, again. Miserable run for a year and no sign of anything changing.
can’t putt, can’t hit wedges, can’t hit irons, and the driver I no longer even have in the bag as it costs me about 3-4 balls per round. Soul destroying.

I feel your pain. I've been going through the same for the last 3 months. Played this morning, absolutely awful, duffing drives, duffing irons all over the place. If I was being honest, I'd say I hit 2 decent drives, 1 decent iron and 2 decent hybrids. Short game still works thankfully, small mercies and all that.

Walked off after 12, pig sick. Went to the practice ground, and started hitting it well. No idea what the difference was, but I've definitely got a mental block when I go on the course.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Guess it’s a mix of three things.

1. Technique
2. Lack of confidence
3. Bad back

Add all three together and voila, I’m now struggling to break 90. Hopefully I’ll find “it” again at some point, but there’s not a lot of fun being on a golf course, which is a real shame as I don’t have any other interest really.

I sat down yesterday after another bad experience and thought to myself I really feel like chucking it. Then I thought a) I can actually play this game to a reasonable standard - dropped 7 shots from 24 to 17 last year - and b) like you, if I chuck it, what else am I going to do? Up until this current bad patch, I have absolutely loved my golf, and really enjoyed the craic with the group I play with 3-4 times a week.

I've been avoiding playing with them as it's been so bad, and playing myself in the afternoon when the course is empty. That hasn't worked, so I decided to throw myself back in, and try to play my way through it. Today was painful, but when I watched the other 3 guys I played with, they hit plenty bad shots as well, it's easy to forget that when you are wallowing in your own misery!

Reactions: sjw

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
It may or may not be your thing, but for those struggling, you may want to read (or reread) Bob Rotella's "Golf is Not a Game of Perfect". I have found it immensely helpful in getting out of my own way.
It may or may not work for you, but I figured I didn't have anything other than my sanity to lose!
Good luck to all.

Last edited:

arnieboy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A couple of guys in our group were at the point of chucking it in as their game had gone to pot and their confidence was shot. I explained to them that they had the ability and anyway, their wives wouldn't want them under their feet on the three days that we play. It took a bit of time but they are now playing better and enjoying golf. Maybe a bit of mind over matter?

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Played twice on Sunday.

8.04 tee time at Leighton Buzzard followed by a 12.30 tee time on the Marquess at Woburn 😁 3rd time I've played it, got a 7 on the first followed by a birdie on the par 5 2nd.

Finished with 33 points and was very happy.

The morning round was 32 points, the end was a little rushed due to needing to get finished in time.

D

Deleted member 25172

I sat down yesterday after another bad experience and thought to myself I really feel like chucking it. Then I thought a) I can actually play this game to a reasonable standard - dropped 7 shots from 24 to 17 last year - and b) like you, if I chuck it, what else am I going to do? Up until this current bad patch, I have absolutely loved my golf, and really enjoyed the craic with the group I play with 3-4 times a week.

I've been avoiding playing with them as it's been so bad, and playing myself in the afternoon when the course is empty. That hasn't worked, so I decided to throw myself back in, and try to play my way through it. Today was painful, but when I watched the other 3 guys I played with, they hit plenty bad shots as well, it's easy to forget that when you are wallowing in your own misery!

Rationally, I understand that I’m more than a bit silly getting so low over this, but you can’t help feeling what you’re feeling. A lot of people say it’s only a game, and they’re of course right, but I cannot help but feel like snapping every single club in the bag when I in 2 years time have gone from almost shooting level par on my home course, to now struggling to break 90.

I know I will keep playing, for now at least, but if nothing changes in the right direction at some point this year then there’s no point but packing it in. That’s just how I am unfortunately.

But we all know what a weird game this is. It may take just the one shot to get back in it. Who knows? Let’s hope it comes sooner rather than later, for the both of us.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Rationally, I understand that I’m more than a bit silly getting so low over this, but you can’t help feeling what you’re feeling. A lot of people say it’s only a game, and they’re of course right, but I cannot help but feel like snapping every single club in the bag when I in 2 years time have gone from almost shooting level par on my home course, to now struggling to break 90.

I know I will keep playing, for now at least, but if nothing changes in the right direction at some point this year then there’s no point but packing it in. That’s just how I am unfortunately.

But we all know what a weird game this is. It may take just the one shot to get back in it. Who knows? Let’s hope it comes sooner rather than later, for the both of us.

Don't dismiss it instantly, but you could try a bit of vintage golf.
My game had fallen apart and shanks had become a major issue, I got fitted for a new set of irons with a larger head but they didn't help and I was not enjoying it.

I switched to just vintage and the novelty gave me something different to think about and focus on. It also took off the pressure to score as I didn't expect to play as well as I used to.

The smaller head size of both the irons and woods made me concentrate more on a quality centred strike and my game gradually came back.

You wouldn't have to stick with vintage (who but a nutcase would do that?) but it might help you in an unexpected way.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
A very solid day at the office today..
Slight grass frost to begin but all gone by the 4th...
Didn't get value for money today as I only hit it 76 times....
Handicap down to 4.8
Best thing about today?
Keeping a 6 off the card for the first time in I don't know how long.....

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Went out to play 5 holes, to ‘break in’ my new shoes, and I did something I’ve never done before, ever, in 50yrs playing this blessed game.

Par 3 3rd my tee shot ends up right on the edge green side of a LHS green side bunker. Absolutely no stance other than in the bunker with ball 18” above my feet. So I decided to try a ‘back to green’ reverse chip. 23yds from flag and maybe 4yds to fringe; picked the spot maybe 6ft behind me I would try and chip over; gentle swing, perfect connection, and into the hole it went.

Funny old game.

Bratty

Visit site
Just back from a cracking day at north foreland with @Grizzly @Bratty and @Steve Wilkes.

It’s a tough course in the wind off the whites and the par 4’s are brutal

My golf wasn’t great but the company more than made up for it
It was a great day indeed.
My golf was shocking, but the course was in a really good condition and the greens were great.
The company was brilliant and thanks to @Grizzly for offering the spots up!

Steve Wilkes

Visit site
Just back from a cracking day at north foreland with @Grizzly @Bratty and @Steve Wilkes.

It’s a tough course in the wind off the whites and the par 4’s are brutal

My golf wasn’t great but the company more than made up for it

Fantastic day, Fantastic course, Fantastic partners. and a big thank you to Iain for inviting me to join him. I've just got the results through and I finished 6th, so I'm well please with that, not bad for an old boy who only hits 200 yards off the tee, although that's still further than Bratty, but up against Dando, well that's a different matter.
Just realised that's my Invitation to Westerham scuppered

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Fantastic day, Fantastic course, Fantastic partners. and a big thank you to Iain for inviting me to join him. I've just got the results through and I finished 6th, so I'm well please with that, not bad for an old boy who only hits 200 yards off the tee, although that's still further than Bratty, but up against Dando, well that's a different matter.

well played mate

Bratty

Visit site
Well played.
And there's always an invite to Westerham whenever you want it... abuse is expected!

Bratty

Visit site
Oh, and I'm tied 256th in the table (after only playing once). 🤦🏻‍♂️ I can't find the results for today, but I will be very close to last! 🤣