I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
... with the other 9 men, won the BOSS Trophy, our Battle of the Sexes, men vs women 4bbb comp. 5-0.
I shot 81 (46 out, 39 back), 3 under handicap, and as I was giving 20 shots to one of the ladies, I felt the need to "go" for some shots, including hitting driver off the deck on a par 5, setting up a lob wedge from 59 yards to 3 ft and holing the birdie putt!

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
... with the other 9 men, won the BOSS Trophy, our Battle of the Sexes, men vs women 4bbb comp. 5-0.
I shot 81 (46 out, 39 back), 3 under handicap, and as I was giving 20 shots to one of the ladies, I felt the need to "go" for some shots, including hitting driver off the deck on a par 5, setting up a lob wedge from 59 yards to 3 ft and holing the birdie putt!
Driver off the deck? Get you! ?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Great effort! What did you think of the course?
Spectacular views of some tees especially the back nine.
It obviously suffered in the dry spell , but so did everywhere.
Tees were good.
Greens were good nice and firm ,quite flat for such a hilly terrain.
Some great holes, but you really need a little local knowledge on some of the blind shots.
Par 3s we’re a good length, ( not a fan of very long ones)
A very good test of your golf , need to shape it both ways, uphill downhill you need all your shots.
Never went in any bunkers but they really looked great I like the riveted faces.
Food was good ,all members very friendly, starter was a good laugh and very informative.
Booking in was easy.
All in all we agreed it was a great day out and we will defo be returning.

Ps some of those hills take a bit of a hike but that’s what makes the place a spectacular place to play.

D

Deleted member 1147

What a frustrating game...shot 7 over par 79, for a net 77 :confused:

Drove beautifully, but couldn't hit the ball close with my irons and had an off day with the putter.
2 x 3 putts when on the green, 2 x 3 putts from the fringe, and failed up & down from about 20 feet (very simple U7D normally).
Then finished beautifully, scoring 1 under for the last 5 including just missing birdie putts on 3 holes, and a good U&D on the 16th.
If I'd have started how I finished it could have been a good'un:mad:

Springveldt

Visit site
A mixed bag but 33 points in blustery conditions with reduced run was ultimately pretty decent, well I was okay with it anyway ?.

Okay off the tee when swinging slowly, a bag of spanners when doing anything else. Some amusingly lucky ricochets helped at times.

First go with my new 19⁰ hybrid. Unsurprisingly mixed results but enough positives to feel happy about it. The lower trajectory will help come drier conditions next year.

Putting was definitely the big plus, one of those days when you see straight putts and make them. The usual push to the right wasn't present, phew. If only that stroke could stay with me.

I had the pleasure of playing first time with the smooth striking @Springveldt . Lovely to watch his ball striking and swing.
"Smooth striking" is a very nice way of saying "Violent hack" :LOL:
As @Lord Tyrion said his putting was very impressive (mine was pretty poor except lag putting which was great) and he has certainly got his monies worth from his new 19° hybrid already. I think he used that as often as his putter.

For myself, I was pretty solid for the first 10 holes (8 pars with 2 slack doubles from decent positions) but then the wheels fell off and I forgot how to play the game for a few holes as I went 8 over for the next 6 holes. I'm going to blame that on the halfway hut not being open so I didn't get my ham and peas pudding sandwich at the turn. Managed to par the last 2 to remind myself that I can actually play the game.

Jason.H

Visit site
What a frustrating game...shot 7 over par 79, for a net 77 :confused:

Drove beautifully, but couldn't hit the ball close with my irons and had an off day with the putter.
2 x 3 putts when on the green, 2 x 3 putts from the fringe, and failed up & down from about 20 feet (very simple U7D normally).
Then finished beautifully, scoring 1 under for the last 5 including just missing birdie putts on 3 holes, and a good U&D on the 16th.
If I'd have started how I finished it could have been a good'un:mad:

My long game has been awesome. My scores depend on the putter. Weirdly I’ve done better since the greens got hollow tined.

D

Deleted member 1147

My long game has been awesome. My scores depend on the putter. Weirdly I’ve done better since the greens got hollow tined.
My biggest issue was leaving too many long putts, playing par 4's with short iron approaches you shouldn't be leaving 40-50 ft putts.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There was a Medal on yesterday but me and Fragger declined - the greens, in my opinion, haven't recovered enough to be fair.
The hollow tining is fine but they scored grooves into the surface and if your ball gets in one...it stays there..too much luck involved and with my propensity for missing out on the good stuff I didn't feel like wasting a fiver.
Plenty played and the winner came in nett 7 under. Good decision :ROFLMAO:
We just knocked it around having a social.
Played OK on the front and turned on handicap at 3 over and then we hit the brick wall of the groups in front...
Kept it going for 3 or 4 holes but the waiting on every shot began to play havoc with my knees and back and it gets harder to swing properly
Ended up about 12 over but still beat everyone's favourite Mod.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Went out yesterday afternoon on my tod and played half doz holes with two balls using my 5i for every tee shot and fairway shots of >160yds. Frustratingly (but somewhat reassuringly) I hit a few beauties and swing felt great; but rest…with same approach to the shot and same stance and address - were various degrees of rubbish. Does my head in. Need a lesson to sort out my head as I know it can only be my head that’s getting in the way.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
That’s the BOBBLE THEORY.
A good putter gets his putts online most of the time.
A bad putter dosnt , so on good greens your putt goes where you hit it.
On bad greens ( tined) if your ball bobbles it can go in as long as it bobbles the correct way.
So tined greens are a nightmare for good putters ,if you get the ball online and it bobs you miss.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
I haven't had a good score in a competition at all this year and my handicap has crept up more than I feel it should have (WHS can adjust too quickly upwards in my view), today was a Seniors Stableford, started okay, bogey, par, bogey, bogey, then made 5 pars to be out in 39 with 22 points.

Started the back nine well and had 11 points after four holes, hit a nice 8 iron to the 14th, close with the first putt but then babied a three footer for par short!
This affected my confidence and led to negative play for the remainder of the round, I finished with 1 point on the last two holes, but the 15th was crazy.

It's a par 5 with a pond left, not feeling confident I took a 4 iron for safety and scabbed it 25 yards! Dropped down to a 6 iron for the next shot to try and avoid going into the pond, hooked it into the pond! Penalty drop and hit a decent 6 iron for my fourth shot and left myself 140 yards, hit a lovely shot to three feet and holed for a bogey and 2 points. o_O

Ended up with 40 points off 95% so should get a reasonable cut, what could have been though....

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
Played The Berkshire today, started on the red course and was -2 after 4, I then hurt my wrist on 6 when trying to drive in a low wedge, and I was atrocious from there on in. Played a bit better towards the end of the blue, but every iron shot was agony.

I much preferred the red to the blue, but a great place - first time I’ve played it, despite living fairly close by growing up, and driving past it twice a day for years!