I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Leftie

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well. For the first time ever, I dipped into this thread (last couple of pages I hasten to add) and saw that I was mentioned in dispatches!

Firstly it was a great day out. The company was excellent with the banter and pi55 taking that you would expect from Smiffy, Bratty and Golfmmad (Chris who had the pleasure of hosting us). I first met Chris at a Forum 4 ball organised at Highwoods by Smiffy in 2009 and I have to say he doesn't look a day older. Bratty played brilliantly while Chris and Smiffy did OK. The course was in excellent condition and the views in some places were outstanding. A tad hilly in places but definitely not a leftie's course. Most of the lies were uphill/downhill or with the ball somewhat below the feet and I felt that I would have been better off with one leg shorter than the other :whistle: but, hey ho, that's enough about the tee boxes - just kidding Chris. It was the fairways and 1st cut that I had the problems with :oops:.

The incident resulting in Smiffy being offered a mulligan was as a result of Chris trying to suppress laughter (imagine hand over mouth, snorting, face bright red ...) while Smiffy was on his downswing solely because some wag had expressed concern about Smiffy's potential follow through :unsure:.

Thanks again to Chris for organising, and Smiffy and Bratty for making it a great and fun day out. (y)

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Played st annes old links yesterday - a bogey course for me and I've never played it well.

Teed off at 8am and the weather was fairly benign. However by the 5th the wind had picked up and by the 12th it was a mix of 30mph winds and driving rain.

However, driver was behaving and it was probably the best I'd ever played it. I really struggled holding greens though and lost count of the amount that pitched short and ran right through. Which resulted in a load of bogeys.

Still, great company and great course and thoroughly enjoyed it in a masochistic way - even in the rain at the end.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Just got in from a very enjoyable morning at Farleigh.
Despite the forecast, not a drop of rain dropped and after 3 holes the jumper came off.
Played ok off the tee and fairway. Putting was decent for 33 points
The less said about the bunker on 18 the better

Other then two hiccups you had a solid round off the new H/c, but I refuse to talk about them.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went out this morning in the newly created Queen Elizabeth II Cup - Stableford. Had a frustrating nearly-good round. Started with three pars, then a poor double on the 4th, but had 19 points at the turn. After birdying the 11th I thought it was coming up roses but I promptly gave 3 points back by going triple, double on the next two, both with three-putts as well. Good par on the 16th gave me a decent chance of a score, but I only one-pointed both of the last two holes to finish on 35 points (82 gross). Putting was fairly poor throughout, should have made a couple of putts and at least got to 37.

Even more annoyingly the leaders are surprisingly only on 38 at the moment (unless some afternoon players come in with a good score of course). Handicap wise, I have a 15.3 coming off the bottom, and this round will replace it seamlessly with a 15.2 I think, so I should stay where I am.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Birdied 1st; birdied last. In between ok. Stupid blob on 17 - frustrated careless 3putt from 18”; oh well - 34pts. And I wish I could hit longer irons even vaguely well. Know what I have to work on over winter.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Monthly comp today - the first where we change to stableford for the autumn/winter. Overnight rain (the first decent rain in a while) seriously cut out some of the run on the ball. For the front nine, seemed to have completely forgotten how to hit a golf ball. And couldn't putt for toffee. Back nine rather better - some waywards shots but managed to scramble a "2 pointer" on all 9 holes.

IainP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Two weeks ago played the worst I had all year, really struggled off the tee - knocked my confidence. Then car troubles meant no golf course or range time, car back yesterday, and off 2nd in team match today. Thankfully hit the 1st fairway, but oppo played well to put me 2 down early. Back to level at halfway, managed to close it out 2 up. Phew, nip & tuck game. Team won, last game of season to leave us in 2nd spot and good for promotion if a result goes in our favour next weekend.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
A mixed bag but 33 points in blustery conditions with reduced run was ultimately pretty decent, well I was okay with it anyway ?.

Okay off the tee when swinging slowly, a bag of spanners when doing anything else. Some amusingly lucky ricochets helped at times.

First go with my new 19⁰ hybrid. Unsurprisingly mixed results but enough positives to feel happy about it. The lower trajectory will help come drier conditions next year.

Putting was definitely the big plus, one of those days when you see straight putts and make them. The usual push to the right wasn't present, phew. If only that stroke could stay with me.

I had the pleasure of playing first time with the smooth striking @Springveldt . Lovely to watch his ball striking and swing.

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
37 pts in yesterday’s comp. Tough day only 4 of us exceeding 36pts out of 165, even had a PCC adjustment. Frustratingly, HI has gone up as my low handicap index went up.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Well. For the first time ever, I dipped into this thread (last couple of pages I hasten to add) and saw that I was mentioned in dispatches!

Firstly it was a great day out. The company was excellent with the banter and pi55 taking that you would expect from Smiffy, Bratty and Golfmmad (Chris who had the pleasure of hosting us). I first met Chris at a Forum 4 ball organised at Highwoods by Smiffy in 2009 and I have to say he doesn't look a day older. Bratty played brilliantly while Chris and Smiffy did OK. The course was in excellent condition and the views in some places were outstanding. A tad hilly in places but definitely not a leftie's course. Most of the lies were uphill/downhill or with the ball somewhat below the feet and I felt that I would have been better off with one leg shorter than the other :whistle: but, hey ho, that's enough about the tee boxes - just kidding Chris. It was the fairways and 1st cut that I had the problems with :oops:.

The incident resulting in Smiffy being offered a mulligan was as a result of Chris trying to suppress laughter (imagine hand over mouth, snorting, face bright red ...) while Smiffy was on his downswing solely because some wag had expressed concern about Smiffy's potential follow through :unsure:.

Thanks again to Chris for organising, and Smiffy and Bratty for making it a great and fun day out. (y)

Chris must have looked old in 2009 then ?

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
6.40 tee off at Surrey national. Got there about 6.10 in the dark and rain and my mate turned up at 6.45 so he got called a few names.

Off the tee my driver and 3 iron were on their best beat behavior but putting was a bit pants.

Shot an 87 for 36 points and a 3&2 win