I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

AliMc

Visit site
Strange post. Controlling your score so you "don't get too low"?
I have commented many times before that my scores from yellows are generally much lower than they are from the whites, I'm off 4.5 with 6 of my counting 8 scores from yellows, if they were from whites I would be off about 8.9, I recently played a matchplay tie off the whites where I had 6 birdies, had absolutely no chance of winning given the other guys h'cap and lost on the 15th, so yeah I don't want to get any lower and have a chance of competing with many others whose h'caps are blatantly too high ?

AliMc

Visit site
How can you decide what score you are going to get?
Because you don't take on tough pins just go the middle of the green, hit 3 wood and rescues from the tee instead of driver, 13 fairways hit, a couple of 3 putts and 2 up and downs from greenside bunkers, it was pretty routine and controlled tbh

AliMc

Visit site
Why enter the comp if yo don’t want to score well? If I enter a comp I will do my best to win regardless of which tee it is.
I didn't enter the sweeps just paid the entry fee and 2's sweep because I knew through experience that off my hi of 4.5 I have absolutely no chance of competing, my 36 points finished up 13 points behind the winner, 8 behind 2nd and 7 behind 3rd, I've explained in another post why I don't want to come down anymore, the number of people playing in our medals is dropping off quite dramatically due to an awful lot knowing with this new h'cap system they have little or virtually no chance of competing

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played with a mate, off 7, in a 4bbb at Disley. Christ he was bad. I was really good until the hated 11th, then it all went to pot. Got some nice shorts from the shop for £15. Better than clubhouse golf prices. Well chuffed

AliMc

Visit site
I didn't enter the sweeps just paid the entry fee and 2's sweep because I knew through experience that off my hi of 4.5 I have absolutely no chance of competing, my 36 points finished up 13 points behind the winner, 8 behind 2nd and 7 behind 3rd, I've explained in another post why I don't want to come down anymore, the number of people playing in our medals is dropping off quite dramatically due to an awful lot knowing with this new h'cap system they have little or virtually no chance of competing
To put some context on it off my hi of 4.5 at Dunbar I am currently 138th equal lowest h'cap, there are about 40 at scratch or better and about 100 or so less than 3, so I have no chance of a scratch prize and increasingly virtually no chance of the net prize either so really there's no point in looking to get any lower not at 64 years old anyway !

AliMc

Visit site
And to think I was berated when I suggested people were manipulating their handicaps.
If you are referring to me I don't know how you think I'm doing that, if not me fair enough, over the last 13 rounds from our yellows my scores are all between 73 and 76 so the 36 points i scored were in the range I expected I didn't manipulate anything, I literally have no chance of winning anything due to numerous guys in our club who were previously in the range 12, 13, 14 who are now off 18 and 19, I'm off 4.5 what's the point of trying to get any lower ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Half decent front 9 today, 1 over handicap so there or thereabouts
And to say the wheels fell off doesn't really do it justice
Completely lost the ability to play like Imurg and played 3 holes like Fragger.....confidence totally shot.
Holy Moly.....what a dire back 9
The most surprising thing is that it's 3 shots better than the 20th score that dropped off my list...
Stupid game

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you are referring to me I don't know how you think I'm doing that, if not me fair enough, over the last 13 rounds from our yellows my scores are all between 73 and 76 so the 36 points i scored were in the range I expected I didn't manipulate anything, I literally have no chance of winning anything due to numerous guys in our club who were previously in the range 12, 13, 14 who are now off 18 and 19, I'm off 4.5 what's the point of trying to get any lower ?
You said your 76 was 'well controlled' and you didn't want to score too low. That sounds an awful lot like not playing to your best ability to most people's ears I would think. (Which could be defined as manipulating.)

Jason.H

Visit site

I’m at 4.2 so I know where your coming from. I marked the card of a friend just 3 weeks ago who at the time was 18 handicap he scored 78 gross (8 over). I vouch the guy is genuine and normally hacks it round ?. I would need to better our long standing course record by 2 shots to equal that.

AliMc

Visit site
You said your 76 was 'well controlled' and you didn't want to score too low. That sounds an awful lot like not playing to your best ability to most people's ears I would think. (Which could be defined as manipulating.)
Fair enough think what you want, I've been a member at the same course for 41 years never lower than 5, never higher than 7, never won a thing, if you think that's the action of someone manipulating their h'cap feel free, I know my game inside out, know what I'm trying to do and where my game is most of the time, my game was pretty much under control as if has been for a while, I finished 13 points behind the winner (someone who was off around 14 pre whs and now masquerades off 19) would you be satisfied if I was off 3 and finished 15 points behind

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Fair enough think what you want, I've been a member at the same course for 41 years never lower than 5, never higher than 7, never won a thing, if you think that's the action of someone manipulating their h'cap feel free, I know my game inside out, know what I'm trying to do and where my game is most of the time, my game was pretty much under control as if has been for a while, I finished 13 points behind the winner (someone who was off around 14 pre whs and now masquerades off 19) would you be satisfied if I was off 3 and finished 15 points behind
I don't know or care, I just thought you were supposed to play the best you can when putting a card in, not happily frittering a few shots away here and there in order to not get cut. I don't think I could even possibly play that way, would feel a bit pointless.

AliMc

Visit site
I don't know or care, I just thought you were supposed to play the best you can when putting a card in, not happily frittering a few shots away here and there in order to not get cut. I don't think I could even possibly play that way, would feel a bit pointless.
Where did I ever say I was happily frittering away a few shots, I said i had a couple of 3 putts (on very large very slopey greens) and got up and down 2 times from greenside bunkers, maybe I should have accidentally left them in there to bump my score up a bit, I finished with 7 straight pars, does that suggest to you that I was frittering shots away here and there, I said my game was under control and yes I did get cut by 0.2

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Pride in achieving the best score that you possibly can whenever you play.

AliMc

Visit site
Pride in achieving the best score that you possibly can whenever you play.
Which is what I have done in the 41 years i have been a member and why my h'cap has always ever been in the range 5 to 7, if I wanted to have any chance if winning anything I could easily have done so

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Where did I ever say I was happily frittering away a few shots, I said i had a couple of 3 putts (on very large very slopey greens) and got up and down 2 times from greenside bunkers, maybe I should have accidentally left them in there to bump my score up a bit, I finished with 7 straight pars, does that suggest to you that I was frittering shots away here and there, I said my game was under control and yes I did get cut by 0.2
You sounded happy about it! ? As I said, I don't really care, I was just clarifying what others had said because you seemed confused when it looked pretty clear to me. If you don't want to cause controversy or people doubting you, maybe you shouldn't say things like:
"bit of a dilemma what to score as I always score better of the yellows than the whites and as most medals are off whites don't want to get too low"
There is a very clear implication here that you like to manage your score in an upwards direction.

AliMc

Visit site
You sounded happy about it! ? As I said, I don't really care, I was just clarifying what others had said because you seemed confused when it looked pretty clear to me. If you don't want to cause controversy or people doubting you, maybe you shouldn't say things like:
"bit of a dilemma what to score as I always score better of the yellows than the whites and as most medals are off whites don't want to get too low"
There is a very clear implication here that you like to manage your score in an upwards direction.
Ok yes I can accept that after reading it again, that is how it appears, however what I'm meaning (but probably not explaining very well) is that I constantly score so much better off the yellows and as my hi is more or less maintained off the yellows I'm much lower than I would be if i only submitted scores off the whites, when I go and play medals or match play ties off the whites I simply can't compete, it's almost like I need two hi's off the two sets of tees, I know that sounds silly but it's how it feels sometimes. I can assure you I have never tried to manage my h'cap upwards, I take great pride in having had a lowish h'cap all my life, have never had a h'cap higher than 7 and don't intend to start now

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ok yes I can accept that after reading it again, that is how it appears, however what I'm meaning (but probably not explaining very well) is that I constantly score so much better off the yellows and as my hi is more or less maintained off the yellows I'm much lower than I would be if i only submitted scores off the whites, when I go and play medals or match play ties off the whites I simply can't compete, it's almost like I need two hi's off the two sets of tees, I know that sounds silly but it's how it feels sometimes. I can assure you I have never tried to manage my h'cap upwards, I take great pride in having had a lowish h'cap all my life, have never had a h'cap higher than 7 and don't intend to start now
I can relate a little bit, except mine is the opposite problem. At ours the slope & course ratings are so low off the yellows that it's pointless even submitting a card on them, I'd have to shoot one of my best ever scores to get cut from there now. And I don't think my scores have been massively different off the two tees really.

full_throttle

Tour Winner
Visit site
Lochmaben GC today, not in the same league as Southerness, but as enjoyable. Over looking Kirk Loch, the views were spectacular.
The course was well presented, with greens that rewarded good a putting stroke. Well manicured throughout, it was a pleasure to spend time there.

BY the way, golf wise, I was rubbish, 30 points, as my putting stroke was not so good today.

This course is on the to play again list, when we return to the area.