I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in a Seniors BB comp at Hawkstone Park today on the Hawkstone course. There have been massive changes since I last played there with the old clubhouse now derelict and a new extended clubhouse in use. The course was in good condition and all the greens were excellent. We all enjoyed it but our miserly 40 and 39 points were never going to be anywhere near the prizes. I think 48 points was leading when we left.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
well after my fabulous 4 over round yesterday, today I was reminded that what golf gives it takes away just as quickly. I played in a 4BBB at Chapel-en-le-frith today. Nice course very tricky in places but enjoyable and I had already won a bottle of vino in the tombola before we even went out to play.
Yesterday on my own scored 41 points, today our 4BBB score 25 points,
Oh how the mighty are fallen, laughed at and crushed.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played Hallamshire on a courtesy today. Great course and lovely people there as well as fantastic scenery. Loved every minute of it even though I can't hit a golf ball to save my life atm.
It was pretty tiring, due to the hilliness and if I was a member, I don't think I could play more than twice a week due to that. Also, it must be pretty brutal in winter and when the wind really blows.
Not surprisingly, I didn't see any elderly golfers, or any buggies.
Playing there in 2 weeks time in our clubs Away break , they don't have any buggies as there is no room to park them apparently

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
Had the pleasure of playing at Porters Park in Radlett this afternoon. Cracking track, really enjoyed it, and despite never playing it before managed a reasonable 86. As always, the three doubles could have been better, but all in all really happy with the round.

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Playing there in 2 weeks time in our clubs Away break , they don't have any buggies as there is no room to park them apparently
Yes, I believe that's true, and you'll see why when you go. Be careful where you park your car. The first car park is a bit tight, and the 2nd part runs along the 18th fairway. I parked behind the fence, so wasn't too worried!

Albo

Visit site
I played today and started with 5 straight pars, which given the 5th at my course is a 230y par 3 is some going, the wheels came off spectacularly going triple, double, bogey, triple to finish the from 9 at +9!!
2nd half started bogey, bogey, double, before finishing with 4 pars and 2 bogeys for a +15 round.
Now being +2 for 11 holes and finishing at +15 isn’t ideal, I have drank lots of beer and done some honest self analysis and come to the conclusion that my idea of strategy and in particular taking my medicine is in fact a whole pile of lies I tell to myself, I am going to be a better golfer because of today

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Played at Buckingham GC today on reciprocal.

Had one of the best ball striking days ever but my putter was stone cold. Had a pick up on 9th after unfortunately going out of bounds by an inch, other than that, 7 pars, 10 bogeys and the triple on 9th for a solid 84.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to the Toptracer range at Hertsmere, which was £10 for an hour. Did a full bag yardage/gap check. Not sure how accurate it was, some of the longer clubs seemed about right, but the wedges were 10 or 12 yards short for some reason - possibly because of the wind blowing left to right across the range? Anyway, I was actually pleased how consistent my dispersion was for the most part. And interestingly, I decided to take the 6 iron out of the cupboard to see if I could hit it better than I used to, and to my pleasant surprise it went well - so I'm going to throw it back in the back for game tomorrow and leave the 27° hybrid at home, to see how it goes. Hybrid obviously easier to launch which is why it's been there, but it's also easier to slice, so it my ball striking has improved enough to be able to hit the 6 iron now, I think that will be a plus.

Yardages attached - as I say, the woods and hybrids and longer irons were about right, the 7i & 8i are about 10 yards short though, and the PW (10i on there) is about 15y short of where I expect it be. Next couple of wedges 10 or 12 yards short too. Driver is short too but I hate hitting driver at the range as I get paranoid about being enclosed and whacking it off a pole, plus I hate the rubber tees which are never the right height. ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220819-184000_Toptracer.jpg
    Screenshot_20220819-184000_Toptracer.jpg
    257.5 KB · Views: 24

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Played Castle Stuart yesterday, course and hospitality A1 as usual, strong winds, which made the course difficult, my driving was superb all day but my second shots in were terrible, luckily my short game was good.
Had to hit driver on the 17th, Par 3 playing 195 yards, landed 8ft from the pin, was definitely a 3/4 club wind.
Me and the Old man took the spoils as well ?
Absolutely cracking day.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went out in the morning for once so I could get back in for the Spurs game. Just me and my mate who's the same handicap as me now so we did a match play, starting on the 10th. He played the first nine really well, and the holes he didn't play were my bad holes as well sadly so I was 3 down at the half way point. I had a storming second nine though and won the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th to turn it around and go 1 up. A clutch five foot putt on the 7th kept me in front after I'd gone in the green-side bunker. I hit a slightly ropey drive into the rough on the 8th, but his was worse and went out of bounds, and I made par to seal the win 2 & 1.

Gross 81 for me, 37 points so happy with how I played. Only two bad holes really, a treble on the 12th and a double on the 15th (but he also doubled that one). My driving was a bit left and right with but nothing too horrendous. Had the 6 iron back in the bag for the first time in years, only had one shot to hit with it really but I hit it well anyway. Short game was good as well with some really good chip and runs, even if putting was a bit of a lottery as they've just sanded the greens this week. Solid round though and only took us 2 hours 43.

Springveldt

Visit site
Somehow managed to shoot 77 this morning for a 4.8 differential which will knock off my highest differential of 7.2, so a 0.3 cut coming.

I was out in 42 (+7) after missing a 9 inch putt, slipping during my backswing on a drive so having to go 3 off the tee and getting a nasty bounce right on another hole leaving me having to chip out the trees then 3 putting. I said to my playing partners that I couldn’t believe I was 7 over as I felt I had hit the ball great.

Came back in level par 35 which included an eagle on the par 5 10th when I holed a bunker shot from the back left bunker. Also had another 2 birdies but an awful bogey on the last after hitting a perfect drive and leaving me 100 yards to the flag.

Overall really happy though, index will go down to 3.8 which is better than I could have ever hoped for.

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
Went to the Toptracer range at Hertsmere, <snip>

Yardages attached - as I say, the woods and hybrids and longer irons were about right, the 7i & 8i are about 10 yards short though, and the PW (10i on there) is about 15y short of where I expect it be. Next couple of wedges 10 or 12 yards short too. Driver is short too but I hate hitting driver at the range as I get paranoid about being enclosed and whacking it off a pole, plus I hate the rubber tees which are never the right height. ?

I agree with you about the rubber tees, at least at the one I use, they only have orange, which only puts the very top of the ball above my driver crown.

The total distance at these things is a bit of a guess by the system, but I find the carry yardages to be relatively accurate. Having had a lesson with the pro using Trackman and been able to compare the top tracer with the trackman directly, they're within a yard or two (at least of each other!).

FourPutt

Head Pro
Visit site
Played terribly today. Fortunately, it was a scramble so I didn't have to endure the indignity of double figure scores on any holes but I am not sure I contributed too much. Couldn't hit the driver for toffee despite hitting it very well on the range yesterday. Approaches and putting weren't too bad, so I managed to get my tee shots in on the par 3s and short par 4s where I could take an iron off the tee. From the post-mortem after the round the general consensus was that I was very stiff on the tee and not turning my hips at all - likely this is correct, it's what I have been working on in my lessons relatively recently and I suspect I just "forgot" to turn.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Bit of a nightmare today. Had a fatal combination of being drawn to bunkers, then struggling to get out of them.

Terrible start, got stuck in a bunker on 1, on 3 my 2nd landed in the middle of the green, then took a mad bounce straight into the bushes, never to be seen again. 4th I put my tee shot in a greenside bunker, fail to get out first time, second attempt pops into the next door bunker, get out but miss the putt to be on 2 points after 4 holes.

A couple of poor approaches see me in bunkers again, get to the turn on a grand total of 11.

Improve a bit to score 18 points on the back 9 to finish on 29, but another 2 holes ruined by poor approaches.

Driving was good, as was putting. Irons were poor, bunker play was worse. At least I know what I need to work on.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played ok today until 14th.
Hit in the bunker and some dick had obviously played two shots out.
There was two massive craters in the bunker and my ball was in one.
Thing is he had raked his footprints but just left the craters from his shot.
Cost me a double.
It’s not hard to rake a bunker just poor from this member.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I played in a 4bbb at Bishop Auckland today. Not played there before and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's a James Braid designed course, as is my home course, and the similarities with the greens and bunkers were very noticeable. A good test, a good mix of holes, nice scenery and it was in excellent condition. Well worth playing if anyone is in the area.

So to my golf.........I haven't played for 3 weeks and it showed. Driving was good but my short game was sloppy and that hurt. Simple approach chips went long, went short, went long, you get the gist ?. When I scored, I scored well but my partner scored far more consistently thankfully, he played very well today, and we ended up with a very respectable 42 points. A good day.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
Played at The Caversham today with @Imurg and CVG courtesy of @Cake and a H4H Auction prize. First time we have played there
Our GPS were picking up the old Caversham Heath Course which was a bit of a drag seeing as the changes were done a couple of years ago now.

Really enjoyable day, the fairways are scorched to hell n back, and the greens were like glass, but true

I had an interesting round with 9 blobs, count ‘em ……NINE but on the 9 that I did score on I amassed 26 points, with a birdie & 3 pars ( 10 points / 6 blobs on front- 16 points / 3 blobs on the back)
Only 2 points behind little bro who had 18 on the front, but only 10 on the back.

CVG had 31 and winner on the day was @Cake with 35
Really like to play it when it is in good condition

Thanks to Laurie for hosting, I’m off to have a word with my driver