I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

D

Deleted member 3432

Finally got to experience PCC +3 yesterday, it was brutal.

After spending the week watching the course record equalled several times and finally lowered in benign weather, the normal Silloth gale force winds returned ?

I actually played well for 13 holes, limiting the damage and played very badly on the last 5 where I should have made my score..?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played singles KO QF match yesterday with too many big family issues on my mind…and with course playing difficult in strong swirling winds and very fast greens I couldn’t focus and made a total pigs ear of it. When playing I’m usually really good at focussing on the matter in hand but not yesterday. Opponent putted superbly and I just couldn’t focus…lost 3-2. Very disappointed but the bigger issues playing on my mind throughout are of much greater importance and consequence, so a loss in a golf match is in truth pretty inconsequential.

D

Deleted member 1147

Club champs this weekend.
Rd1 - hit the ball ok, couldn't get up & down to save my life - only 1 birdie (from a chip in), parred all 4 par 5's despite being greenside on 3 of them and hitting decent chips/bunker shots. Shot a gross 80 off the whites (par 72, rating 72), to take me out of contention.
Rd2 - hit the ball poorly, but holed putts, and shot a gross 76 off the blue tees (par 70, rating 74). 4 birdies, and got par 4's on the 2 holes that go down to par 4 from par 5 off the whites. Also had 2 double bogies and finished 6 6. For tied 3rd best score on day 2.

The crazy handicap system means that despite shooting in the 80's 3 times, with no increases, I've now shot 2 over course rating and have been cut by 0.3, to 2.5.

D

Deleted member 3432

Club champs this weekend.
Rd1 - hit the ball ok, couldn't get up & down to save my life - only 1 birdie (from a chip in), parred all 4 par 5's despite being greenside on 3 of them and hitting decent chips/bunker shots. Shot a gross 80 off the whites (par 72, rating 72), to take me out of contention.
Rd2 - hit the ball poorly, but holed putts, and shot a gross 76 off the blue tees (par 70, rating 74). 4 birdies, and got par 4's on the 2 holes that go down to par 4 from par 5 off the whites. Also had 2 double bogies and finished 6 6. For tied 3rd best score on day 2.

The crazy handicap system means that despite shooting in the 80's 3 times, with no increases, I've now shot 2 over course rating and have been cut by 0.3, to 2.5.

I don't think you're allowed to call the handicap system crazy ?

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
9 holes yesterday, dodged the rain :D. My spell of hitting ridiculously straight drives is continuing, please let this never stop :LOL:. Irons were good, hybrids wobbled. Short game was poor to start with, sharpened up after a few holes. Finished with 2 pars, 18 points, very happy.

One observation which I'm not sure how to take. For the last 2 weeks I have not played in the club comp, been away, busy etc but played the folowing day and put in a casual round (via phone, so easy it's not true. Those against electronics scoring, get with it :rolleyes:) Anyway, these 2 cards have been my best scores of the year, both off yellow. My h/c has dropped after both scores. Counter that, playing off whites has been nudging me up week after week. Not massively but bit by bit. I know I can come down further off the yellows, some sloppy play early doors cost me yesterday, but I am struggling to play to my h/c off the whites. I'll keep playing both, keep putting cards in, but I could end up being a bit of a Norwich here, a yoyo player. Anyone else find the same?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
9 holes yesterday, dodged the rain :D. My spell of hitting ridiculously straight drives is continuing, please let this never stop :LOL:. Irons were good, hybrids wobbled. Short game was poor to start with, sharpened up after a few holes. Finished with 2 pars, 18 points, very happy.

One observation which I'm not sure how to take. For the last 2 weeks I have not played in the club comp, been away, busy etc but played the folowing day and put in a casual round (via phone, so easy it's not true. Those against electronics scoring, get with it :rolleyes:) Anyway, these 2 cards have been my best scores of the year, both off yellow. My h/c has dropped after both scores. Counter that, playing off whites has been nudging me up week after week. Not massively but bit by bit. I know I can come down further off the yellows, some sloppy play early doors cost me yesterday, but I am struggling to play to my h/c off the whites. I'll keep playing both, keep putting cards in, but I could end up being a bit of a Norwich here, a yoyo player. Anyone else find the same?
Ours is the opposite. Putting a card in off yellows is a waste of time as the slope rating is only 109 now, course rating 65.6 - essentially I'd have to shoot 39 points just for a small cut. Off whites it's 115 & 66.5 so a bit more of a chance - and the white tees are only noticeably harder on about 5 or 6 of the holes.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours is the opposite. Putting a card in off yellows is a waste of time as the slope rating is only 109 now, course rating 65.6 - essentially I'd have to shoot 39 points just for a small cut. Off whites it's 115 & 66.5 so a bit more of a chance - and the white tees are only noticeably harder on about 5 or 6 of the holes.
I don't think I have heard of a course below the magic 113 base line before. Do you think you will stay at that course or, knowing you are in an expensive part of the world for golf, are you tied to it really?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't think I have heard of a course below the magic 113 base line before. Do you think you will stay at that course or, knowing you are in an expensive part of the world for golf, are you tied to it really?
I love the course and the club to be honest. It's in fantastic condition as well, compared to some others I've seen this summer. I've got used to playing off the whites now so not really a problem, we only play off yellows occasionally for a break and wouldn't bother putting a card in on those days. I'm just getting used to the fact that I need to be breaking 80 to get cut now! I want to be breaking 80 consistently anyway so it is what it is. (y)

Our course rating was cut because the club were forced to shorten a par 4 into a par 3 (due to complaints from the council about balls going into the road), but their long term goal is apparently to lengthen a different par 3 to a 4 to compensate (eventually).

Springveldt

Visit site

I totally understand where you are coming from based on our home course. The yellows still have a very high slope of 138 and the course rating of 69.9 means you essentially only get 1.2 shots extra from the whites (Whites are 71.1 and 139). All 5 of the par 3's become much easier imho, takes most of them down from long/mid irons to mid/short irons and some tee shots like 8 and 13 become far easier as well as the trees aren't as intimidating. Even the first is much easier, the trees on the left aren't in play from the yellows unless you hit a really, really bad shot but from the whites I can put it in them at least 5 times a season.

For those with "limited" distance I'd imagine the yellows will feel much easier at our place.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
The cut doesn't affect my course handicap, only my handicap index

I did my best to get it back up yesterday, but it only replaced a same (poor) score ?

But, the bad news is I have booked an hour with our pro for tomorrow, the good news is that I am not playing a comp between now and Littlestone
I hope they have cut the rough at Littlestone, or it could be another long day.:whistle:

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I totally understand where you are coming from based on our home course. The yellows still have a very high slope of 138 and the course rating of 69.9 means you essentially only get 1.2 shots extra from the whites (Whites are 71.1 and 139). All 5 of the par 3's become much easier imho, takes most of them down from long/mid irons to mid/short irons and some tee shots like 8 and 13 become far easier as well as the trees aren't as intimidating. Even the first is much easier, the trees on the left aren't in play from the yellows unless you hit a really, really bad shot but from the whites I can put it in them at least 5 times a season.

For those with "limited" distance I'd imagine the yellows will feel much easier at our place.
I'm taking driver off 4 and 11 (par 3's for those reading this and not being in the know ;)) off the whites. that changes straight away. You are right about other holes as well. You are no longer at the back of the tree funnel, you are pushed far enough up for it to be there but not narrowing down quite so much. Psychologically, it is huge. The distance gap between yellow and whites per hole is not major, 10-15 yds only, but it is just enough and that is all I need.

Funnily enough, it has not really changed much for my son as distance is not the problem for him. As you say though, it's a game changer for us 'shorter' types. Back to the long stuff on Saturday though............I'll be put back in my place then :LOL:

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seniors singles open at Conwy today. Didn't get off to the best of starts as one of the lads got the tee time wrong and was DQ'd for being late and we had to move down a tee time. A three putt on the first set the tone for a truly horrendous front 9 of only 7 points. Back 9 was much improved with 17 points so happy with that in the stiff breeze.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I'm taking driver off 4 and 11 (par 3's for those reading this and not being in the know ;)) off the whites. that changes straight away. You are right about other holes as well. You are no longer at the back of the tree funnel, you are pushed far enough up for it to be there but not narrowing down quite so much. Psychologically, it is huge. The distance gap between yellow and whites per hole is not major, 10-15 yds only, but it is just enough and that is all I need.

Funnily enough, it has not really changed much for my son as distance is not the problem for him. As you say though, it's a game changer for us 'shorter' types. Back to the long stuff on Saturday though............I'll be put back in my place then :LOL:

Quite a few of the guys I play with take driver on 4 and 11. To me that's a nonsense and poor course design, par 3s should be about testing a player's accuracy, not how far they can hit it. If it was my golf course, I'd take 40-50 yards off each of the par 3s, which would make them a lot more enjoyable.

AAC

Visit site
We sneaked into the semi final of the club wrinklies 4BBB yesterday with a 3&2 win, good teamwork by my partner & I never really saw us out of a hole despite giving 9 shots & 3 shots to our opponents.

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seniors singles open at Conwy today. Didn't get off to the best of starts as one of the lads got the tee time wrong and was DQ'd for being late and we had to move down a tee time. A three putt on the first set the tone for a truly horrendous front 9 of only 7 points. Back 9 was much improved with 17 points so happy with that in the stiff breeze.

I played in the afternoon in the Vadre trophy. Wind was stronger yesterday than Saturday. I finished top 10 and only 1 person beat their handicap (by 1 shot). Was very tough. Couldn't get up on si 1 with driver and 3 wood. The par 5 into the wind was driver, 3i, 3i. Brutal but enjoyable:)