I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
We were staying up at my parents last night so played Cainhoe Wood today with my wife and my dad - the Manor course which is the shorter of their two. Still pretty long for my wife though who has only played course in the 4000 yard region lately, whereas this was more full length.

The course was ok, nothing special. Very flat which was good for those two, greens were a bit bobbly and slow so not great, and there was a distinct bin smell wafting in on the wind which was very off-putting - we figured they were digging up landfill nearby or something. I started off prettt steady until the 5th where I lost a ball out of absolutely nothing - one of those where you only just miss the green, it rolls over a small hump and then vanishes into the bloody Bermuda triangle. Two holes later I lost another by putting it in the lake that stretches across the right half of the fairway - a classic "I'll just aim at it and my fade will go right of it" then tug it up the left. So I was fuming by this point. Thankfully my back nine was good, bar one par 3 when I went in a bunker that was awful and took two stabs to get out. Shot 87 for 36 points. My main annoyance was that every iron I hit was like, 10-15 yards short for most of the round. Even when I felt like it struck one well. Don't know if it was a) a problem with my swing such as early extension - didn't feel like it but then what would I know, b) the fact that I was using a found ProV1 after losing two of my own balls and perhaps it's just very ill-suited to my swing, or c) just a bit of tiredness after playing yesterday and not sleeping particularly well because I was not in my own bed.

My wife and dad started off poorly as we rushed into a bit with no warm-up, and we were into a surprisingly strong wind for the first couple of holes, but they both got it together to varying degrees. I thought she coped well with playing a full length course and ultimately shot 126 for 30 points (off 45). Dad had a much better back nine than front nine and went 60 out, 50 in for 110 and 34 points (off 36). And even with these scores we still caught people up and ended up waiting on the tees for the last 6 or 7 holes, it was pretty busy there.

Great family day on the course though overall. And I had one of their large sausage rolls for lunch afterwards and it was incredible. (y)

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Despite digging out the winter clothes I enjoyed the spring cup today. Drawn comp, tees back to their proper spots, greens running slicker, generally looking better. For various reasons I haven't played there for a couple of weeks so had to adjust swiftly. Struggled off the tee early, first proper tee shot on 8. First GIR on 9, which promptly 3 jabbed. But 5 was highest score on shorter 1st nine (I had 7 of them!).
Best drives I've hit since I joined on 12 & 17 helped a better 2nd nine, although to match the 9th I also 3 jabbed 18 from GIR ?
One of those days when I was wrapped up in the game and didn't really know my score, but think ended around level to comp hcp.

Boomy

Visit site
Fantastic afternoon of golf at Silloth GC ⛳️ this afternoon. Three tee’s booked for the 12 of us, the sun came out and the wind was positively calm (especially for Silloth ?) Some first timers visiting with us today who really enjoyed the challenge ? Bonus for me taking the prize pot with 38 points ? Very happy with that and especially with my putter being stone cold today ?

E4C80862-E820-4B7E-B385-2BE5BA7943D6.jpeg
817106CC-698C-4E38-B80E-4BE10042EE68.jpeg

Liam_x7

Visit site
Haven’t been on here for a few years but I have kept all my scorecards from June till September last year and then started again in March this year.
Submitted all the cards and got an official handicap of 36 today.

I’m actually quite happy with this as I thought it would be something in the range of a high 45-50 seeing as I have only played sporadically the past year or so.

I have been playing every single weekend religiously since the end of March (since the clocks went forward) and I am aiming to get that down to 30 and below by the end of the year. I’m really enjoying the game at the moment and with a handicap to boot I can now look to get that down now everytime I play.

A fellow member said I should be looking at stableford comps to better myself against other high handicappers today. I know it’s not a great handicap for a lot of people but for me it’s quite an achievement. I’m 30 and only started playing properly last year so something definitely to aim for this year.

Last edited:

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Sunday roll up this morning, 43 points, roll up win and to top it off a new lowest ever gross score of 78!!!

Breaking 80 for the first time is just such a good feeling. Great week of golf for me!!!
Wait until you beat par for the 1st time, makes you feel like you have just won The Open.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Haven’t been on here for a few years but I have kept all my scorecards from June till September last year and then started again in March this year.
Submitted all the cards and got an official handicap of 36 today.

I’m actually quite happy with this as I thought it would be something in the range of a high 45-50 seeing as I have only played sporadically the past year or so.

I have been playing every single weekend religiously since the end of March (since the clocks went forward) and I am aiming to get that down to 30 and below by the end of the year. I’m really enjoying the game at the moment and with a handicap to boot I can now look to get that down now everytime I play.

A fellow member said I should be looking at stableford comps to better myself against other high handicappers today. I know it’s not a great handicap for a lot of people but for me it’s quite an achievement. I’m 30 and only started playing properly last year so something definitely to aim for this year.

Keep going … it will come down, I’m sure. Good luck.

RichA

Visit site
Non-scoring "fun" round this morning. After playing with and loving my new old Mizuno MP-60 irons a few times, I decided to go back to the forgiveness of my modern G425s.
It was awful. They felt like tools rather than instruments. I was awful. What a waste of 4 hours. Better than work though.

Skytot

Visit site
Casual knock with two guys from the regular roll ups. Took casual too seriously and not enough focus and concentration. Got it round in 30 points but didn't play at all well. Lots of work to be done this week after work
I played yesterday with a couple mates and it was exactly the same, I need a bit of a edge to my golf otherwise I don’t concentrate and just hit shots .

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Friendly 4BBB, I was partnering an "improving golfer" and thought we'd cruise it but we were 2 down after 4 :eek:
In the end we won but only by 2 & 1.

I was playing some Slazenger Ben Hogan irons, very iffy grips but they played nicely enough.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I really feel like I should learn how to putt properly. 16 handicapper I hit 12 greens in regulation was pretty close to another four playing probably about my best golf I can tee to green and then kept missing putts for an 83.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played in the first big comp of the year on Saturday, too many mistakes tbh. Had three double bogey s out of nowhere. 78 gross, so we'll over handicap. That score was knocking another one of my best 8 out of my 20 so expected to see my handicap increase... not sure how got cut from a score with a 5 shot differential knocking out a score with zero (it was a level par round).

Had a cam this morning with the boys and played out of my skin 2 bogeys 4 birdies the rest pars. Putter was pretty cold though didn't hole anything outside 10 feet. The birdies were all tap ins really. Happy with how I played today comp to the last few games I've had..
Golf is a funny game at times

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First 18 holes since September (I think). Played West Bradford with mates. Great course in very good condition. Played some of my best golf in years.

Hit my driver on about 2 or 3 holes, decided it wasn't going great so left it in my bag and hit hybrid instead. Stayed in play almost every hole. Short game was so good. Putting was great but still left 5/6 putts within a inch of the hole which was annoying.

18 points front 9, 21 back. Really pleased but not getting carried away. Great to get out again.

AliMc

Visit site
1st round of the Gents pairs this afternoon, me getting 1 shot my partner 2, 2 down after 8 but birdies at 12,13 & 14 put us in charge and we held on for a 3&2 win against a very good pair

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Played 9 this evening. It wasn’t pretty. No rhythm. No speed. No balance.

Had 8 straight bogies until finally making a regulation par on the 9th. I was almost disappointed.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Strange round today. Drove it the best I've done in ages. Irons fairly decent. Putting went completely. Its been in the post. Haven't been holing much recently and lost confidence with pace control and holing out. It was getting comical on the front 9. Had 3 good birdie looks in first 3. None looked like going in. Then the bogies arrived. Turned at 5 over.
Bird on 11 got me back to 4 and kept it there till the 15th. Didnt actually realise my score was decent at this stage. Dropped 2 on 15. 1 on 16 and tripled the last for 10 over. It felt like 20.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lost in summer 4BBB KO. Giving one of our opponents 10 shots (he is off 21) and the other 2, we guessed it might not be our day when the lad off 21 got a Hole-in-one on the 3rd and went on to individually score about 45pts. I have to admit to some feelings of frustration and pointlessness as hole after hole our 21 handicapper blasted his ball down the middle of the fairway and then popped it on or around the green. Ah well. At least we hung on grimly and only lost on 17th

Now you know how we felt at Camberley Heath :)

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played yesterday and played with an old set of heads which I re-shafted last week.
I had forgotten just how good they can be and shot a sub 80 round, only my second in the last year.

Could have even had been better as one or too putts missed due to the current state of the greens after the spring renovation programme and very little rain.

Had to stop myself once or twice from bending down to clean the ball with winter rules ending on Sunday.