I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Haven’t been on here for a few years but I have kept all my scorecards from June till September last year and then started again in March this year.
Submitted all the cards and got an official handicap of 36 today.

That had me 'reaching for the rule book'

Prior to the WHS (from memory) such scores would not have been acceptable for initial handicap as being too old.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Went for a quick practice and scored a 2 over par 38 for the front 9 so thought I'd play the back 9 and see what I could score. big mistake!

Par, bogey, triple, quad, par, sextuple :eek: bogey, bogey, par for a back 9 of 52 and a total of 90 gross.

Because of the massive numbers though I still scored 35 Stableford.

(For those interested, the sextuple was an 11 on a par 5. Poor tee shot to edge of water hazard, chop out, try and leather a 3 iron but top it, 5 iron to greenside bunker, two to get out but still not on the green, duffed chip 3 inches, chip on and 3 putts, simple!)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site
Actually played Sunday, but only back on the forum today. Re-visited my old club (Willow Valley in West Yorks), we just played the par 3 course - it was fun and I played OK with some old cobbled together clubs out of my brothers shed, but the highlight was seeing some old mates who I haven't seen for over 3 years. Had a chat with one guy who's son was about 14 when I was last there - and winning a lot of the prizes. He's off +2 now, be interesting to see if he can carve a career in the game.

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Played for the first time in 6 weeks as have been going to the range to improve from the tee. Shot 100 on the nose and it was almost the reverse of a standard round for me, solid off the tee (and by that I mean all drives bar one were in play, hooray!) but completely pap everywhere else. long and short irons, short game, putting, you name it.......that'll teach me for focusing in on one aspect of the game to the neglect of everything else.

If only I could put it all together......

Boomy

Visit site
Played Formby ⛳️ today. Played off yellows, slope rating 142. Course layout fantastic, some really aesthetically pleasing holes, lots of bunkers, real accuracy needed and a handful of blind shots.. ?? Not all good though, the greens were nothing short of dreadful - slow, inconsistent and unpredictable. Desperately needing a trim and rolled. All 4 of us struggled to get any consistency going, you had to wallow the ball that hard to reach the hole the putting line was pretty irrelevant ? really spoiled the day. Scraped 35 points with 6 x 3 putts ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just went out for 9 holes with the wife after work, at my club. Bogeyed the first three, but after that, suddenly everything was on point. Drives were big (for me) and dead straight. Irons and wedges hitting the greens. Even putting was decent. Managed a birdie on the 400 yard 7th by holing an 8 iron chip & run. We skipped 8th & 9th as they're par 5s and played the 10th & 11th instead - ultimately I ended up shooting 3 over par for the holes played - one birdie, four pars, four bogeys. Where the hell was this form in the medal on Saturday!? Bah!

Used a found TM Tour Response ball for some of the holes and really liked it, seemed to play quite similar to the Bridgestones I normally use, so one to consider.

My wife unfortunately didn't have one of her best days. She couldn't get the consistency, and once she duffs a couple she tries to hit it harder and starts swaying too much. Only 9 points for her sadly. But we had a lovely late afternoon in the sun anyway. Followed by a drink and a lady member once again hounding my wife to join the club. Happens every time. :LOL:

D

Deleted member 3432

Played Formby ⛳️ today. Played off yellows, slope rating 142. Course layout fantastic, some really aesthetically pleasing holes, lots of bunkers, real accuracy needed and a handful of blind shots.. ?? Not all good though, the greens were nothing short of dreadful - slow, inconsistent and unpredictable. Desperately needing a trim and rolled. All 4 of us struggled to get any consistency going, you had to wallow the ball that hard to reach the hole the putting line was pretty irrelevant ? really spoiled the day. Scraped 35 points with 6 x 3 putts ?

Spoiled by putting on Silloth greens ever week :)

Mel Smooth

Hacker
Visit site

I think there's few courses struggling with the greens at the moment - was chatting to somebody at my old spot on Sunday who said they were like Broccoli. The greens could always be a bit off there at this time of the year, but you would expect better at Formby I guess.
The fella I was speaking to was saying his son had struggled with the putter - which when you are off +2, isn't ideal.

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think there's few courses struggling with the greens at the moment - was chatting to somebody at my old spot on Sunday who said they were like Broccoli. The greens could always be a bit off there at this time of the year, but you would expect better at Formby I guess.
The fella I was speaking to was saying his son had struggled with the putter - which when you are off +2, isn't ideal.

We certainly are.
It's been very cold overnight for quite a while now, added the fact that there's been no rainfall which means the greens are taking far longer to recover from their routine maintenance than they usually do.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Midweek Stableford today...35 points off my new index
Unlucky bounce for a double on 9 otherwise steady going out..
Started the back 9 well and barely put a foot wrong coming home with 20 points to be leader in the clubhouse - ok, there's only 3 other scores in but....just been overtaken..no surprise..
And I've gone and got myself cut..again...down to 5.3 and I lose my 7th shot on the hardest hole on the course..deep joy.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Delayed trip to Woodhall due to you know what . Hotchkin on Monday , then Bracken yesterday and trip over to Seacroft today . With HiD and with best friends , played 4BBB and halved on Monday with birdie on 18th, was one up yesterday and they halved with 5 for 3 (2 shots) on the last and today one up again and halved again with their 4 for 3 on the last , only fair at it was to celebrate their 42 wedding anniversary :). Seacroft fairways desperately need some rain but best greens of the trip .
Also went to Bomber Command Memorial https://internationalbcc.co.uk/ , very good, Dad served in WW2 at Coningsby so always good to be over here.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We certainly are.
It's been very cold overnight for quite a while now, added the fact that there's been no rainfall which means the greens are taking far longer to recover from their routine maintenance than they usually do.

Our greens have been poor and have suffered a number of bare patches which the greens team have struggled to deal with. They are getting better but there are still patches and the club have admitted it will take longer to come back than envisaged. You simply have to accept the staff know what they are doing and hope mother nature starts to play ball

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We certainly are.
Heavy rain early evening today down Surrey/Hants borders…at last…first for a good long while and as you say it’s been cold overnights. The grass needs it.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Midweek Stableford today...35 points off my new index
Unlucky bounce for a double on 9 otherwise steady going out..
Started the back 9 well and barely put a foot wrong coming home with 20 points to be leader in the clubhouse - ok, there's only 3 other scores in but....just been overtaken..no surprise..
And I've gone and got myself cut..again...down to 5.3 and I lose my 7th shot on the hardest hole on the course..deep joy.

Good work on the cut

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Busy day today. 4BBB at Old Padeswood where we came in with 37 points. Greens were very, very slow and struggled to get the ball any where near the hole. Back home afterwards for the 9 hole social and scored 17 points. Early start tomorrow, first out in Seniors 4BBB open comp at Ringway.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
played at Hesketh today in the lancs senior ladies championship, the weather was shocking with standing water on a lot of greens, I hit the ball well but could not sort out the pace of the greens and took 43 putts including 2 4 putts born out of frustration. at yet another possible 3 putt

Visit site
Played at Moor Park today in a club friendly match. What an incredible clubhouse they have!

Moor_Park_Mansion.jpg

Lost my 4BBB match. 4 up through 10... I shot +3 (off 5) with my own ball through the final 8 holes, and we lost 6 of them. Handicap matchplay is fun :cry: They shot -7 net through the final 8 holes. I also birdied stroke index 1 on the front 9, for a half... However, great day out and an enjoyable enough golf course.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Our greens have been poor and have suffered a number of bare patches which the greens team have struggled to deal with. They are getting better but there are still patches and the club have admitted it will take longer to come back than envisaged. You simply have to accept the staff know what they are doing and hope mother nature starts to play ball
Ours are poor atm.
Cold nights have the grass not growing at any rate.
Seed heads just starting to show so the should be ok in a fortnight.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Most of our low men are struggling with the greens.
We all hit bad shots but getting up and down atm is very difficult.
The chipping is worst you just don’t know how it’s going to react when it lands.

My game is shocking atm I am all over the place just no part of my game is working.
But will get a long rest soon as I am having surgery on my wrist.