I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Third competition in 3 days today and a new low point for me, playing in a county competition and once again I mostly hit the ball really well but my pace putting was shocking I had 3 four putts! plus a few 3 putts as well, I just seem to be getting worse at putting despite lesson and practice, I really am at a loss about what to do to improve it.

Even worse though was on a blind dogleg hole where there was a spotter, I got told that she hadnt seen my drive but had heard the ball hit some trees. So we all went down to look for in the trees and there was no sign of it and so I had to go back to the tee and re-tee after I had played my next shot I found my original ball which was in the rough on the opposite side of the fairway and about 50 yds from where we had been looking for it.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Swindle today. Another good round but not amongst the money again. Five bogeys offset by four birdies, two of them on two of my three shot holes. Only made a par on the other one. 11 points on three holes, 38 total. Bandit territory ? The course is in great condition and bodes well for tomorrow’s medal.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Third competition in 3 days today and a new low point for me, playing in a county competition and once again I mostly hit the ball really well but my pace putting was shocking I had 3 four putts! plus a few 3 putts as well, I just seem to be getting worse at putting despite lesson and practice, I really am at a loss about what to do to improve it.

Even worse though was on a blind dogleg hole where there was a spotter, I got told that she hadnt seen my drive but had heard the ball hit some trees. So we all went down to look for in the trees and there was no sign of it and so I had to go back to the tee and re-tee after I had played my next shot I found my original ball which was in the rough on the opposite side of the fairway and about 50 yds from where we had been looking for it.
When all else fails....buy a new putter..you know it makes sense(y)

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Played 4BBB Open at Taunton and Pickeridge today... Couldn't fathom the green speeds at all! ;) Definitely a place where local knowledge is worth 6 shots, lots of bumps and lumps on the fairways.

Nice people, nice food after, great pasties in half way house!!

36 points wasn't a great return, but had fun.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
How was the course?
Really nice. Some strong holes, especially on the front. Only thing that I didn't like was that all the par 3's were more or less the same yardage. We played off the yellows, so they might be different off the whites, but as I say, they were all around the 150 mark and all looked similar.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
I finished on 29 points. Bearing in mind that was only my 2nd round since last October, I don't think I did too badly, but lack of playing = lack of consistency.
Driving was inconsistent on the first few holes, cost me dearly. Then I got that together and started putting some nice(ish) ones out there, but then the irons left the party.
A good drive followed by a massive push right does not lead to great scoring.
I putted quite well, only three jabbing once, but my 14 points on the front 9, with three blobs, isn't good enough.
Should quite easily have had 20 points or so.

There was a 5 handicapper playing who only had 21 points so imagine how he must have felt.
:oops::oops::oops::oops:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 15344

Monthly Stableford- 4 birdies , 3 bogeys for 38 points

Might be enough to get into the top 10 in the division

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Front 9, 19 points. Drove straight, solid second shots, chipped and putted very nicely.

Back 9, 13 points ?. The odd bad shot, a couple of bad bits of course management, one choked putt ?. What could have been.........

Very enjoyable still. Learning more about the course each time. Plotting your way around certain holes is very much the order of the day. Being on the right side of the fairway, right side of the hole, it's all quite important there.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
... I made friends with lots of squirrels. Didn't lose my ball though. 30 points in the comp - garbage. Double bogey, zero, on the first. No doubles and no birdies the rest. Steady garbage.

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Monthly medal, admittedly off yellows owing to tee work, but was level par after 12 holes: 1 birdie, 10 pars, 1 bogey. Then got to the 13th, 167yd par 3. 8 shots later, I'm walking to the 14th tee wondering what had happened! Finished the round on 85, 36 out, 49 back. God I love golf!

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
Monthly medal, admittedly off yellows owing to tee work, but was level par after 12 holes: 1 birdie, 10 pars, 1 bogey. Then got to the 13th, 167yd par 3. 8 shots later, I'm walking to the 14th tee wondering what had happened! Finished the round on 85, 36 out, 49 back. God I love golf!

So are we ............................. so spill!

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
So are we ............................. so spill!
As you asked:
167 yard downhill par 3. Hoicked it left into the bundoo GUR, got a free drop, but went into a divot. Facing a very uphill pitch to the green, I chunked it into another GUR, free drop... into another divot. Duffed out, duffed into bunker, out of bunker and three putt! Went to my head and that was it. Wasn't raging or angry, but just threw me. Gutted.
I recovered a few holes and then had a shocker on the 18th too!
Still, knocked to an 82 for hcap purposes, so hopefully a small cut coming.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220507-180636_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20220507-180636_Photos.jpg
    929 KB · Views: 7

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
As you asked:
167 yard downhill par 3. Hoicked it left into the bundoo GUR, got a free drop, but went into a divot. Facing a very uphill pitch to the green, I chunked it into another GUR, free drop... into another divot. Duffed out, duffed into bunker, out of bunker and three putt! Went to my head and that was it. Wasn't raging or angry, but just threw me. Gutted.
I recovered a few holes and then had a shocker on the 18th too!
Still, knocked to an 82 for hcap purposes, so hopefully a small cut coming.
You do know you don't have to drop into a divot ?:unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
The three of us decided to put cards in today, just playing off the yellows - my mate needed one more card in to meet the requirements of the betterball comp we've entered, so we thought we might as well all do it. Long story short - I played a blinder. We started on the 8th, and with one hole to go I'd managed one birdie, eight pars and eight bogeys, and then annoyingly triple bogeyed the last (7th) after tugging my drive left of the trees. Still shot 78, equalling my best, from a month or so back. Putted really well for a change which is what made the difference. Score diff of 12.1, and the one being pushed out will be a 16.1, so God knows how this system works but I imagine I'll be getting cut at least to 14. And about time too really. Lovely stuff!

Last edited:

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
The three off us decided to put cards in today, just playing off the yellows - my mate needed one more card in to meet the requirements of the betterball comp we're entered, so we thought we might as well all do it. Long story short - I played a blinder. We started on the 8th, and with one hole to go I'd managed one birdie, eight pars and eight bogeys, and then annoyingly triple bogeyed the last (7th) after tugging my drive left of the trees. Still shot 78, equalling my best, from a month or so back. Putted really well for a change which is what made the difference. Score diff of 12.1, and the one being pushed out will be a 16.1, so God knows how this system works but I imagine I'll be getting cut at least to 14. And about time too really. Lovely stuff!
Well played (except the last)! Reduction should be 0.5 (16.1 - 12.1)/8.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Stroke play this morning, all going well besides a double bogey on the par 3 third. Get to the 13th, make a quad bogey 8 after losing a ball in the bushes. Think to myself - no worries, just steady the ship again going forward. Bogey on the next.. okay, it’s going to be okay! 8 (quad) again on the next. Bogey, double and par to finish. 16 shots over 2 par 4’s.. card killer ?