I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Stroke play this morning, all going well besides a double bogey on the par 3 third. Get to the 13th, make a quad bogey 8 after losing a ball in the bushes. Think to myself - no worries, just steady the ship again going forward. Bogey on the next.. okay, it’s going to be okay! 8 (quad) again on the next. Bogey, double and par to finish. 16 shots over 2 par 4’s.. card killer ?
Wait. You got an 8 on the 13th hole today too? Weird! Anyone else want to join our really rubbish club? ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Yorkhacker

Visit site
Gutted! Played really well for 16 holes in a board competition today. Kept it together but cracked at the end to finish with 2 double bogeys for a net 73. Would probably been top 10 with a bogey birdie finish, which is normal for me. Will have to console myself with a share of the 2s pot.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Why annoying? We’re you expecting/hoping it to be lower or is 14.5 losing/gaining you a shot on your course?
I just meant because 14.5 is still 15 when you round up, lol. Ideally wanted to get down a shot at least. I'm still not used to the new system really since I've not put loads of cards in. Old system you could drop a shot easily on a good round, clearly it's not that easy now.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I just meant because 14.5 is still 15 when you round up, lol. Ideally wanted to get down a shot at least. I'm still not used to the new system really since I've not put loads of cards in. Old system you could drop a shot easily on a good round, clearly it's not that easy now.

But 14.5 wouldn’t nessecarily round up to 15 when working out course handicap. I’m also off 14.5 after getting cut last week.

I find the new system pretty easy to understand, but then I didn’t ever use the old system so didn’t have to change how I look at it.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
But 14.5 wouldn’t nessecarily round up to 15 when working out course handicap. I’m also off 14.5 after getting cut last week.

I find the new system pretty easy to understand, but then I didn’t ever use the old system so didn’t have to change how I look at it.
I know, I'm just being silly. But when people ask what my handicap is I usually round up to the nearest whole number that's all, so in my mind 14.5 is still 15. ?

D

Deleted member 23270

Anyone want to buy a set of clubs? Bottom grooves badly worn, sweet spot pristine?

Call 1-800-IAMPANTS

Jason.H

Visit site
Visited a few bunkers. Strangely I can go 3/4 rounds without going in the sand then the 1st monthly medal and I’m in around 6 bunkers during the round.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like the new system. It just seems weird sometimes after using the old system for years and years. I played yesterday and was bang on my handicap. However, even though the differential became one of my counting scores it did not beat the one that was dropping off. The lost score was also my best counting score so I went up 0.4. I think this is the bit that some don’t understand. I’m not saying that you personally don’t understand the new system, but there are people I know that don’t.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Managed to get out for 15 holes after the littlun had gone down (I know, a wild Saturday night).

Started off awfully, 8 over through 5 with 2 lost balls.

On the 6th I decided to stop taking so much time over my shots as whenever I hit a provisional I just tee it up and hit it and, as everyone knows, they're always perfect.

Completely changed my game. Drives were straight down the middle and the rest of the game followed suit, went level par through the next 5 holes before dropping a few coming down the last few whilst chasing the sunset.

Need to work on my yardages again I think though, sent a couple of wedges through the back and spent ages looking for a ball I'd hit with my 5 iron and found it about 20 yards further than I'd have expected.

Course is in much better nick now its started growing and kt was nice to see the rough grown out a bit. Although i didn't appreciate it so much when I was trying to rush round ?

Springveldt

Visit site
Front 9, 19 points. Drove straight, solid second shots, chipped and putted very nicely.

Back 9, 13 points ?. The odd bad shot, a couple of bad bits of course management, one choked putt ?. What could have been.........

Very enjoyable still. Learning more about the course each time. Plotting your way around certain holes is very much the order of the day. Being on the right side of the fairway, right side of the hole, it's all quite important there.
If it make you feel better the wind was out the east yesterday which makes the back 9 play easier. ?
Best gross only being 73 would suggest that the course was playing tough yesterday for some reason.

I played slightly better, shot 81 for 32 points and managed to not lose a ball which was a bonus. Feeling much more confident with my driver again but my chipping and especially my lag putting were poor yesterday. Left too many 4-6 footers which finally caught up with me.

2 poor double bogies as well, just some slack shots.

Overall I’m in a much more positive place than last week.

Wilson

Head Pro
Visit site
I threw away a good score today, +3 going out, including a double bogey after a bad club selection. I drive it just short of our 10th green, and then took 4 to get down ?‍♂️ 4 to get down at the par 5 12th from 60 yards, and then three in the bunker on 15 just summed it up. 81 overall, long game in good shape, I just need to sort the chipping & pitching.

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Today I walked around the course, pushing my clubs and occasionally did something that resembled a golf swing.

What’s the saying? Golf is a good way to ruin a nice walk.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If it make you feel better the wind was out the east yesterday which makes the back 9 play easier. ?
Best gross only being 73 would suggest that the course was playing tough yesterday for some reason.

I played slightly better, shot 81 for 32 points and managed to not lose a ball which was a bonus. Feeling much more confident with my driver again but my chipping and especially my lag putting were poor yesterday. Left too many 4-6 footers which finally caught up with me.

2 poor double bogies as well, just some slack shots.

Overall I’m in a much more positive place than last week.
The rain meant there wasn't much run, could that be it? I've scored better each time on the front 9 compared to the back. 2 points from the last 3 holes did for me yesterday ?.

I need to play the back 9 more often to get comfortable on it. It's a shame you can't do 9 starting on the 10th, midweek after work for example, but the course is so busy that I don't see that being possible.

I know you are a low h/c so 81 might hurt but I'd snap your hand off for that ?. Really enjoying the course though, plenty of thought required, in really good condition. It's a challenge but a fair one. That Braid character might know a thing or two about course design.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Unusually saw a gap in the booked times this morning, which enabled me to book last minute go out on my own with no one having started for the previous 40 mins. When I got there the four ball due to go off after me had a drop out and they asked me to join them. Had a very enjoyable round and the guys I joined were on a courtesy from the Leicestershire as there was a county comp at their place

I had the best round of iron striking that I’ve had in a couple of years and that bodes well for the best of the year. Weather and company was great too.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Stableford comp from the back tees, I felt a bit under the weather and it showed on my opening drive which I fatted about 10 yards, not even reaching the ladies tee. :eek:

I lost 5 balls as well as playing a wrong ball so my score was never going to be anything to write home about but 22 points was dire, I was two places from bottom, felt knackered playing the last couple of holes.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
The rain meant there wasn't much run, could that be it? I've scored better each time on the front 9 compared to the back. 2 points from the last 3 holes did for me yesterday ?.

I need to play the back 9 more often to get comfortable on it. It's a shame you can't do 9 starting on the 10th, midweek after work for example, but the course is so busy that I don't see that being possible.

I know you are a low h/c so 81 might hurt but I'd snap your hand off for that ?. Really enjoying the course though, plenty of thought required, in really good condition. It's a challenge but a fair one. That Braid character might know a thing or two about course design.

The rule is you can cut in and play the back 9 as long as there is no-one on the 9th when you start.

Mid to late afternoons tend to be quiet, so you should be able to pick a time after work where you will be pretty much guaranteed to be ok. For example, looking at tomorrow, there are 9 tee times between 15.32 and 16.36 and only one is booked, so if you turned up at the 10th around 17.30/18.00, you should be fine.

It's also fine to turn up early morning and just play the back 9, as long as the you are off before the first booking reach the 9th, so any time before 8.30 would be ok.

The common consensus is the back 9 is harder, but I prefer it, and tend to play it better than the front 9, with the exception of the 17th which I always seem to struggle on, I either put my drive in the trees on the left, or my second in one of the greenside bunkers.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unusually saw a gap in the booked times this morning, which enabled me to book last minute go out on my own with no one having started for the previous 40 mins. When I got there the four ball due to go off after me had a drop out and they asked me to join them. Had a very enjoyable round and the guys I joined were on a courtesy from the Leicestershire as there was a county comp at their place

I had the best round of iron striking that I’ve had in a couple of years and that bodes well for the best of the year. Weather and company was great too.
Played The Leicestershire, practice round for the English Seniors amateur championship ?.
Played with 3 guys from Surrey and Dorset, top afternoon, roll on the 8.00 tee time as first out tomorrow ?