I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
BB stableford at ours. Hit it well again tee to green, but putting still a bit of a lottery on greens still recovering from maintenance. Hopefully now there’s a bit of growth we’ll see rapid improvement, but I’m really struggling on the short ones, which is not like me. A couple of three stabs including, infuriatingly, on a par 5 where I’d knocked it to 30 feet. 42 points was a decent return, but only enough for mid table obscurity.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wasn't expecting to play today but wife's family weren't doing much so we had an afternoon to ourselves and went to Girvan. Unusual course where the first 8 holes are on the coast and essentially a links course, but 10 to 18 are across a road and classed as parkland. I'd never played a links before so the first 8 were very interesting. The last 10 felt like a totally different course - it was even noticeably less windy. I played quite well, wasn't great on and around the greens but still managed to shoot 79 - technically the second time I've broken 80, but the course is only a par 64 so I can't really count it in good faith. ?

My wife played brilliantly. Really some of her best golf so far, especially considering she normally only does nine holes. As a short 18 this was a perfect transition for her. She even got a par on a 350 yard which is incredible for her - knocked hybrid to 4 feet with her third shot and holed it. Putted better than me on plenty of holes too. She ended up shooting 110, so even with me recently cutting her to 45 handicap, she still notched 40 points off that! I only managed 36 so she's beaten me again. Mustn't grumble! Love seeing her enjoying it and starting to really improve now. ????

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Annual bogey comp. Hit it like an idiot including two topped drives. Managed to get out all square and still all square after 12 and then lost two cheap holes. Chipped in on 16 (SI3) for a win but made a horlicks of the last from 80 yards. Plenty to be positive about despite the poor ball striking and like yesterday got it round ugly. Something I wasn't doing a few months back

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Shot 4 over in the medal. 4 over front. Doubled the 9th and undid all my good scrambling to save many pars on the front.
Level back 9 to sign for 75.

Pretty decent since my irons are still piss poor. Chipping was on point and putting pretty nice too.

Been selected to play for the club next weekend so was nice to put a score up and show that I'm ready to go away from home and get the win.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Shot 4 over in the medal. 4 over front. Doubled the 9th and undid all my good scrambling to save many pars on the front.
Level back 9 to sign for 75.

Pretty decent since my irons are still piss poor. Chipping was on point and putting pretty nice too.

Been selected to play for the club next weekend so was nice to put a score up and show that I'm ready to go away from home and get the win.

Tidy. I always find playing away much easier in a match as a lot of the time you don't really know where the big problems are and you don't have any scar tissue to carry round

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Tidy. I always find playing away much easier in a match as a lot of the time you don't really know where the big problems are and you don't have any scar tissue to carry round

I enjoy going away to play as its obviously golf at differnt course than I would normally be playing that day.

If we absolutely had to win I'd play anyone at my home course. No question. It's an advantage to know the course so well.

I'll enjoy the challenge of playing away next week. Going down on tue for a practice round. Haven't been down in a couple of years and theres two new holes to see so that should be good.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
On Monday I couldn't raise my arm above shoulder height, so didn't pick up a club all week. Lovely weather and was moving better so ambled up just after 3.
Last time at club was 2 weeks ago and in winter wear & spikes! Very different, lovely evening. Score nothing special but some good stuff to keep me interested. Probably like a few courses, greenkeepers waiting for rain to move past the maintenance phase, bit slow, sandy & fluffy.

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Junk, managed to hack it round but firing on 1 of 4 cylinders…. Driving was the best in a long time on Wednesday …. Couldn’t drive to save my life. Irons were awful, couldn’t find anything but bottom groove or the toe. Putting was OK but had a 1 foot putt on 16 for par… miss, 1 foot miss on 17 and a 1 foot miss on 18 - jeepers it was bad and really should have been 81 not 84.

On the plus side, wedges were excellent for a change. Lob over the 1st bunker to a few feet, chip and run on 8 over the bunker to 1 foot. I layed up a few times to 60-80 yards due to poor drives or irons and put them to around 5-10 feet.

I was absolutely mad at missing the 3 1 footers on 16,17&18. I pulled them a cup left each time. I’m dumbfounded!

RichA

Visit site
Wasn't expecting to play today but wife's family weren't doing much so we had an afternoon to ourselves and went to Girvan. Unusual course where the first 8 holes are on the coast and essentially a links course, but 10 to 18 are across a road and classed as parkland. I'd never played a links before so the first 8 were very interesting. The last 10 felt like a totally different course - it was even noticeably less windy. I played quite well, wasn't great on and around the greens but still managed to shoot 79 - technically the second time I've broken 80, but the course is only a par 64 so I can't really count it in good faith. ?

My wife played brilliantly. Really some of her best golf so far, especially considering she normally only does nine holes. As a short 18 this was a perfect transition for her. She even got a par on a 350 yard which is incredible for her - knocked hybrid to 4 feet with her third shot and holed it. Putted better than me on plenty of holes too. She ended up shooting 110, so even with me recently cutting her to 45 handicap, she still notched 40 points off that! I only managed 36 so she's beaten me again. Mustn't grumble! Love seeing her enjoying it and starting to really improve now. ????
I find myself very conflicted by some of your posts.
I envy that you are clearly enjoying a shared hobby - it's a beautiful thing.
I also dread the idea that MrsA, who I adore, would want to join me on the golf course.
Fortunately, she'd rather dance.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I find myself very conflicted by some of your posts.
I envy that you are clearly enjoying a shared hobby - it's a beautiful thing.
I also dread the idea that MrsA, who I adore, would want to join me on the golf course.
Fortunately, she'd rather dance.
It's ok, she knows I'm still going to want to play on my course with my mates on the Saturdays. But I've loved having a new activity to spend time with her, love seeing her improve, and as a bonus it's more practise time for me as we often play shorter courses so I can work on my short game. Win win.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played yesterday

Instead of the old adage of fairways and greens I thought I would try the adage of trees and bunkers. Sadly it did not work.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
First inter club league game since 2019 because of the pandemic. Away at Dudsbury. I won my match 2/1 and the overall match result was 4-4. My highlight of the day was a chip in birdie on the 460 yard par 4 14th to go 1 up. A great team result on a course that is much longer than ours. Dudsbury was in great condition with really good greens for the time of year, true and reasonably quick.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Solid 93 today round RND

Impressive double , treble bogey start from drives that split the fairway ??

Fun isn’t it ?

The last round I played I made 4 doubles. 3 from the fairway, 1 from about a foot off the fairway.

2 of them I was inside 100 yards ?.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out early with Fragger and CVG...milliomaires golf again.
Our club doesn't seem to get going until 9 on Bank Holidays it would seem...
Up and down front of 5 over to lead Fragger by a point at the turn.
Close to an Ace on the 10th in front of quite a few members....then pars to the 14th where a ridiculous bounce and kick left me 45 feet away instead of 5 or 6..ball pitched on an upslope and there must have been a stone just under the surface as it shot along the ground at 45°...well miffed at that one..
3 more pars and a bogey up the last after a pitch that felt li,e it was full of spin just kept on going and finished in an old divot over the green...
Still..77 blows, 6 over for 38 points and another small cut...leaving the others languishing on 35 and 30....
We had nobody in front all the way and the closest anyone got to us was 3 holes...
Splendid day

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Very enjoyable knock at The Forest of Arden this morning. Hit it nicely, scored okay, and the course was as beautiful as always. One of my favourite venues for an “away” round.

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Played in a Mizuno singles event at Horsley Lodge this morning. Was surprised to find that one of my PPs was from my club although we had not met before.
Started well with a par on the par 5 first. It went downhill from there, in particular my putting including a 3-putt from 4ft. Ended up with 28 pts.
Course was nice, with some interesting holes, but let down by the greens which were very bobbly and slow having recently been hollow-tined (doesn’t excuse my poor putting).