I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Thinking of giving it a rest too. It's killing my chipping and pitching off the mud. Destroying my confidence and finding it impossible to make good contact regularly of wet muddy lies.
I've decided to give up playing stablefords in January and maybe Feb. Swindle play means pick and place everywhere which is far better for winter golf. There's bits of our course that have very little grass in the rough, and mud balls are commonplace. Just don't see the point in trying to win a comp that will be a lottery and more likely negatively affect my handicap.
I've got a mens' pairs match and a mixed pairs match next two weekends, then a swindle, then hosting two guests, so will be playing, just not wasting money on comps.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yes I agree
I am having a few weeks off.
Never had so much mud on my ball as today.
The water has nowhere to go as the ponds are all full.
A few five clubs carry only comps if they won’t close it would help.
I got wet on the 12th. One of those where you get the waterproofs on and it eases off and then comes back down heavily so back on with waterproofs. Our back nine is looking churned in places and I think we definitely need to go to carry only, even if that means some won't be able to play and ideally close the back nine. Any damage getting done now will take a long time to recover and I'd rather take the hit now for a better course come March

It is tricky at this time of year. We'd a big shotgun today and in the past it would have been carry only but that would have potentially put a lot of people off and as it was due to go off at (.00 I made the decision to allow them. In reality only 21 people used trolleys which is great from our members and will mean even with another 4 mm of rain this afternoon the course should be able to take trolleys again as we have a big mixed comp that was cancelled before Xmas .

Yes there areas that are worse than ideal but they aren't really in play , so with a new Course Manager starting this week , with a very modern approach to greenkeeping I'm sure we will be able to remediate them or extend some pathways . Also keen to explore with him in wet times missing out first 2 holes to give them a rest and other alternatives .

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Grims Dyke back to being closed again. Went to Rickmansworth with my usual two mates. It wasn't supposed to rain until 2 or 3 so I thought we'd get plenty of dry golf in from our 12:20 tee time. First mistake.

Parred the first two holes, the 2nd with a 130 yard up and down. Should have left it there. The rain started after that and basically didn't stop for the rest of the round. It turns out my 'waterproof' bucket hat isn't all that waterproof. Second mistake. On the 6th hole I got my 7 wood out, hit a decent shot but the shaft snapped and splintered into a hundred pieces so that was interesting. (Also explains where I got the metal splinter from in my thumb after Top Golf yesterday.) After 7 holes we were fed up of waiting behind a four ball of seemingly beginners in the pouring rain so we skipped ahead to the 10th. Weather was utterly miserable, the ground was pure mud in places so if you missed the green you were finished for that hole basically. I still felt I played as well as could be expected. Ended up with 29 points for 16 holes. I would say I've had worse days but then I've never destroyed a club that I loved and also got drenched at the same time before, so the jury is out.

One of those days when you ask yourself why you do it. ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out 2nd on the front 9 this morning - bloody good job too..the place was heaving when we left and it took over 2 hours for the back 9 ( less than 90 minutes for the front).
Safe to say I started well...7 pars on the bounce..then threw in a double but birdied 9 for +1 and 21 points.
And then we hit the queue.....waiting on every shot, it was sheer numbers. As we don't have a booking system and you just turn up it was obvious as we came off the 9th that the back was going to be slow.
It messed with my rhythm for a bit but 17 points and +5 wasn't too bad a return....
Small cut back to 6.7 but no change to the number of shots....

Fragger managed 33, so not bad considering the windy conditions

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Played 18 this morning for the first time in a while, shot 101 which is my best round since starting in May......but can't help but feel annoyed with 3 x 3-putts and 5 penalties/lost balls. Also finding short-game really challenging at the minute and duffing more chips, not sure if that's mud-related or just me going through a bad patch.

I guess I shouldnt grumble as I am getting better, but just feel like that could easily have been 5-7 shots better without some silly errors and decisions. Live and learn.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Went for a game at Tain this morning, course very busy, waited on every tee till the 11th tee then could see that there was a 4 hole gap in front the 4 ball holding everyone up. In front of us was a 3 ball, we were a 4 and in front of them a 4 that has lost pace with the field. We cut across to the 14th tee. Cold out there as well, I had 5 layers on and was still cold, there was a guy in a group behind wearing a short sleeve shirt, he might have been a geordie though.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Out for a hit this afternoon - fair bit chillier than it's been for the last week but despite it pouring rain here overnight and this morning the course was in very good nick.

Ball didn't appear to be flying particularly well which I put down to it being cold so after the first couple of holes I took an extra club for all approach shots - it was a good move as I was putting for birdies on the next five holes - putter is stone cold at the moment though and I didn't hole any of them despite the greens being in good nick and quite quick. Out in 38 without ever hitting a spectacular shot or holing a putt.

Back nine was looking very mediocre with just a par 3 (at the 12th - the only decent putt I holed all day was to rescue par here) to break a run of 5s from the 10th to 15th (nasty double bogey at 14 in that run), and having missed the green at 16 by 15 yards, short and rightish I was kind of resigned to a score in the low 80s. Decided to bump and run the shot with a hybrid as pin was over a knob/bank/hump on the right of the green and aimed well right of the flag reckoning the slope would bring it back towards the flag - didn't hit it cleanly or on the line I wanted but "thought that will be ok at least I've got it over the bank" - put club back in the bag and took the few steps to the green - and realised quickly that the ball had gone into the hole - first birdie of the year.

That changed my view on the round massively and two fives would mean my first round in the 70s in over a year - Two more fairways hit, two more greens in regulation and two more two putts and I'd shot a 77 in a round which never on the back nine until that fluke bump and run at 16 ever felt like being under 80 - it's a strange game sometimes.

IMG_6761.jpg
15th Ashludie course, Monifieth Links

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
Delayed Xmas Mixed comp today and 10 teams of 4 each with it being carry only. But oh so slow behind the group in front, 2 hours 45 mins for the F9 , thankfully Comp was only 13 holes , had 3 birdies 2 of which were 2's but alas no 2's today in the comp :cry:

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Had my best round in over a year yesterday (87) & first time I've broke 90 for a while too
Took driver out the night before (it was misbehaving at range that day) and put 3w back in (only ever carry one or the other) and hit 11/12 fairways (the other one being in 1st cut)

I also only hit irons off any fairway for my 2nd and 3rd shots (I took the hybrid & 5w out the bag too)
Hit the 5I better than ever before, easily matching the hybrid so didn't lose out on distance

With only 9 regular clubs, and my rock club, the bag looked kinda empty but i'll repeat the set up next time to see what happens

D

Deleted member 3432

77 blows today at bootle. In a day when it all went pretty much to plan. It’s blows my mind how people shoot this and less every week. Suppose if I wanna make it on the seniors, I best get used to going low ?

Just need to equal or beat it at Silloth now ?

AliMc

Visit site
Couldn't get a game at Dunbar today, 5 of us wanting to play and only one time so I missed out, played with my mate at Craigielaw 8:10 started in the gloom, it was windy and very cold, knocked it round in about 76 helped by a 3 under 3,3,3,4 finish, course ok but greens not anything near as good as Dunbar, back to sunny dunny for a game Thursday morning ?

D

Deleted member 3432

I’m an optimist not delusional mate ? ??

Keep it in play off the tee, nudge a 2nd shot down the fairaway on the 5's, avoid a car crash on 13 and its achievable (y)

Obviously also depends on a nice windless day....

chico

Club Champion
Visit site
First outing in about six weeks today on a frozen solid course on winter greens. The highlight was my shot to the first, 3 iron 270 yards. Downhill on fairways like concrete but will be using it for any discussions on distance you can hit the ball on future threads. ??

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Out early this morning. Course pretty frozen. A few of the tee boxes felt very slippy, and contributed to a couple of duffed drives. Played ok though, 86 blows, happy enough with that.