I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

D

Deleted member 15344

Yep..I can go with that.
Our 100 yard 16th was a punched 8 iron - straight into the teeth of it...

We had a few par 3s over water , one was a GW for 125 yards and the one at 114 was a 7 iron ? - great fun though

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Out on my own late afternoon, so tried to hit a few 1 irons off the tee.
Let's just say that the first few were "poor" but on the 9th I hit a bullet into the wind that went just over 190 and on the next tee I hit a slight fade that went 220, which I was a lot more happy with.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Let's just say that the first few were "poor" but on the 9th I hit a bullet into the wind that went just over 190 and on the next tee I hit a slight fade that went 220, which I was a lot more happy with.

Brave as we all know how painful a thin one can be at this time of year and especially with a 1 iron. I remember the one I got to go with my Maxfli Australian blades. When you found the pea sized sweetspot it was a joy. Otherwise it was like taming an unbroken mare and could be a score card wrecker. Ego kept it in the bag far longer than it should have been as the 3 iron was much easier to hit and find a fairway with

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course was closed for the third or fourth day running, but I literally haven't done a single thing except eat for the last week so I went down to Rickmansworth for a quick round on my own in the afternoon.

Parred the first which is rare on that course, but blobbed the second thanks to three fats in the mud, so cancelled that par out straight away. Mainly bogeys after that though. Ended up shooting 84 for 32 points (16 on each nine), not too bad. Did well on the par 3s as I got three pars and one birdie - after a hybrid tee shot that was as close to a hole in one as I've ever been, about 8 inches right of the hole and hopped across a couple of inches closer. Putting was really good following my lesson last week. Holed a few lovely ones again, 28 putts total (but there was a blob in there as I mentioned).

Weather was drizzly to start with but actually very warm after that, I ended up taking off my jumper and wishing I wasn't wearing a baselayer underneath! Got round in no time as well, 2 hours 18 minutes. Three two-balls let me play through, and I ended up joining up with another single I caught up for the last four holes, lovely feller named Jim. Pretty good day really!

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site

Ah, the good old 1 iron !

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My course was closed for the third or fourth day running, but I literally haven't done a single thing except eat for the last week so I went down to Rickmansworth for a quick round on my own in the afternoon.

Parred the first which is rare on that course, but blobbed the second thanks to three fats in the mud, so cancelled that par out straight away. Mainly bogeys after that though. Ended up shooting 84 for 32 points (16 on each nine), not too bad. Did well on the par 3s as I got three pars and one birdie - after a hybrid tee shot that was as close to a hole in one as I've ever been, about 8 inches right of the hole and hopped across a couple of inches closer. Putting was really good following my lesson last week. Holed a few lovely ones again, 28 putts total (but there was a blob in there as I mentioned).

Weather was drizzly to start with but actually very warm after that, I ended up taking off my jumper and wishing I wasn't wearing a baselayer underneath! Got round in no time as well, 2 hours 18 minutes. Three two-balls let me play through, and I ended up joining up with another single I caught up for the last four holes, lovely feller named Jim. Pretty good day really!
Forgot that I took a photo.. this close to a first hole in one. The search continues.
Screenshot_20211230-000756_Gallery.jpg

bladeplayer

Money List Winner
Visit site
We played a 4 man scramble , 3 drives each to count .tough long course Our combined h cap was 8 after adjustment , shot the lights out , made big putts and a chip in eagle ,
Shot -13 gross for -21 nett, we were nearly embarrased handing in the card it was that good .. we came 4th ?
A combined h cap of 83/84 shot -8 off 16

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Just back from, what can only be described as, a very good day at the office
Playing gimmees with a good friend so no card going in...shame as I shot a 1 over gross 72..my best round at Ellesborough and my best of the year by some margin.
3 bogeys, 2 birdies and the rest pars...it was just one of those days when pretty much everything worked...even the bogeys were a matter of inches from being pars.
43 points for the stableford bunch....nett 64 for the rest..
Happy days...

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Played formby ladies with a couple of mates for the last knock of the year. Playing a split sixes format and giving 4 and 10 shots to the others.

Came out the blocks quickly with two birdies before a balls up on the 4th brought me back to level par. I was then stuck on a bit of a bogey train until the 10th which I birdied.

After that the wheels fell off. I think a lot of it was mental as I played a great shot on the par 3 12th to about 6ft, they both got down for a gross par which meant I ended up losing the hole with no points. It didn't help that it started raining either.

Brilliant little course though and will definitely by back. Absolutely fantastic condition given the amount of rain the area has had the past. 24 hours as well.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Grims Dyke was back open today. Went out this afternoon with my two usual mates. Started with a double bogey, as you do, but the front nine wasn't too bad overall as I managed three pars for 16 points out. Back nine started slowly but quietly turned into a pretty good round as I birdied the 14th and 18th for a 20 point back nine. Putting was brilliant, it has really clicked following my lesson over a week ago, and I only had 27 putts for the whole round, which is unprecedented for me. Driver was mostly excellent as well. 44 & 39 for a gross 83 and 36 points. Very happy with that!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Managed to get out today. Course was closed yesterday and today was carry only. Nice to be playing and with a great group. However I was absolutely hanging by the 11th and had it been a horse race I'd have been pulled up. Also now got a massive hook, not only off the tee but with mid-short irons too. Given what has happened lately I can't complain too much. Putter was off too and wasted a few shots around the green so work to be done

BigPhil14

Visit site
Not out on a course, but in the midst of trying to make a big winter swing change with less sway, more rotation and a shallower swing to try and get a more consistent contact with more compression. Gradually seeing results, and my best purchase of 2021 was definitely a £20 tripod from amazon and a £7 video delay app which means I can watch back each swing in real time and see that it didn't look anything like it felt!! Reviewed this evening and back off to the range tomorrow with renewed vigor to get my body to do what my mind is trying to tell it!

Pleased how I ended up hitting the driver for the last 10 balls when I turned my brain off and hit it the furthest I have on the range, so hopefully a sign something is working!

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
Managed to get round this morning, overall the course was in decent condition, bar a couple of holes.

Hit the ball pretty well given the damp ground, short game was much improved , starting to see the benefit of wedge work at the range. Struggled to club properly in the mid irons which was a bit frustrating though.

Ended up with an 80, which is now starting to feel about an average round. Last 4 rounds have been 79,80,79,80 so ending the year quite well. If the cards had been in my hand my last 8 rounds would all be my counters in WHS which would see my handicap down at 14.3 rather than 16.2 so backing up that my game is heading in the right direction.