I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Out with a bloke I've never played with today. What a brilliant day. He was awesome. Story after story, ups and downs of life. I played bluddy brillant golf as he took my mind off what I was doing. THree over after 9. It was like shelling peas, so flippin' easy. Then my amazing ball striking caught me out as I hammered a ball miles with my hybrid dead straight OOB when I'm usually 20 meters short. Then hammered a drive down 13, it was flying.....but caught the left hand tree branches at 210 meters. Grrrrr. I never recovered. Even another perfect drive down 18 bounced into a bunker I'm usually well short of.
But all of this did not matter as this 80 yo fella was extremely complimentary about my game and company and refused my offer to buy the drinks afterwards and insisted he bought them. We've swapped numbers as he was insistent we would play together on another day.

What a brilliant day!!!!

SurreyGolfer

Visit site
Played 9 yesterday and broke 50 for the first time. Playing to my handicap would have been 52 and I shot a 47, gross +11......I am absolutely elated! 2 key things for me:

- First real success hitting hybrids off the tee. I've been working hard on that, and keeping the ball in play with an extra 20-50yards on top compared to a 5iron made things a lot easier!
- I had 2 or 3 'par' putts (usually a 6 on a p4 or a 7 on a p5 for me) ~4-8ft in length which I made, they felt big in terms of keeping momentum and a bit of confidence rolling onto the next hole.

Clearly not an impressive score in the grand scheme of things but for me, it was absolutely huge. Gutted I only had time for 9 as felt like breaking 100 for the first time was on.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Gross 77 with a triple on the card......
Index down to 7.1 from 8.4 3 weeks ago so can't complain.
Nice 3 footer for birdie on the 13th par 3.
Pretty solid all the way round except the 5th.
Tee shot kick wildly into a bunker that hadn't been raked - the ball was in a juicy big heel print:rolleyes:
Got it out but found a terrible lie in deepish rough and couldn't get the club to the ball..
2 chips and 2 putts later and I've shot 6 on a par 3.......

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Played 9 yesterday and broke 50 for the first time. Playing to my handicap would have been 52 and I shot a 47, gross +11......I am absolutely elated! 2 key things for me:

- First real success hitting hybrids off the tee. I've been working hard on that, and keeping the ball in play with an extra 20-50yards on top compared to a 5iron made things a lot easier!
- I had 2 or 3 'par' putts (usually a 6 on a p4 or a 7 on a p5 for me) ~4-8ft in length which I made, they felt big in terms of keeping momentum and a bit of confidence rolling onto the next hole.

Clearly not an impressive score in the grand scheme of things but for me, it was absolutely huge. Gutted I only had time for 9 as felt like breaking 100 for the first time was on.

Well played! A great achievement when you're trying to improve! Next stop breaking 100!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Moved onto the winter course this week so effectively off the ladies tee,s, weather forecast this week so far has not arrive.... yet. One shower, but only lasted a couple of minutes. Hit it poorly off the tee and even stuck it on the beach off the first, which ended up so far tight I needed a 6 iron just to get back in play ?. Irons were pretty good and putted OK. Winter golf though so it's was nice to get out

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
9 holes and a bucket today. Bunkers all topped up and I was splashing out but I was just coming out too hard and I just couldn’t regulate it.
Otherwise strike was great. At the range went to hit the 7 wood to see if I could get some control. Which I did but it was funny as I hit the 150 yard maker 2 times in a row then pulled one left .. then hit it again twice and changed clubs .. finished with 2 sand wedges hitting the 100yard marker .. very amusing but what happens on the range stays on it

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to the South Buckinghamshire for a mates birthday. Got our old four ball back together, including the guy who barely ever plays anymore (second time this year). We were started on the 10th because the greenkeepers needed to time to finish some work on the front nine or something.

I started off really well, had 13 points after six holes, but then blobbed the next one after a decent 7 wood was only a little way right, but I had to chip off some bare mud over a bunker, and failed. One-pointed the next two holes as well for a disappointing 15 points out.

My second nine was a lot tidier with plentys of 4s, unfortunately backed up by 6s rather than 5s. I actually think I played well for most of the day, but shots were lost due to it being winter golf really. A muddy lie making chipping difficult here, a fat shot from the damp muddy rough there. 'Tis what it is. 17 points for that nine, 32 points total, could have been better, but on the upside at least I broke 90 with an 89. I came second on the points as our bandit 28 capper mate got 38, but I had the best gross of the four and that's what really counts, right? ? Putting was improved anyway, actually holed a couple of nice ones for once.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Out for nine holes at lunchtime. Ball running fine, fairways firm but not summer firm, not a hint of mud or leaves, and greens much quicker than I expected.

We are doing something interesting this winter to give the normal hole locations a rest - our pins are all on the edges of the green (as close as a couple of metres at times).

Shot 41 again, 5x4s, 3x5 and a silly six that included two chunked chips - seems to be my favourite gross total for nine holes at the moment, I think I've shot that in each of my last few outings. My irons are the best they've been all year just now.

First time it's felt really cold (5° C) with only a light breeze - disadvantage of using the lightweight 'Sunday' bag is that there's nowhere to put spare clothing and all the other stuff I could have done with (hand warmers, mitts etc.) - advantage is obviously light weight.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Looked at the forecast for Saturday. Looks grim. Sunday not looking much better with heavy frost due. Won't be playing if we're on temps Sunday but think Saturday will be more than enough of a challenge. Anyone else gearing themselves for a toughie

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Looked at the forecast for Saturday. Looks grim. Sunday not looking much better with heavy frost due. Won't be playing if we're on temps Sunday but think Saturday will be more than enough of a challenge. Anyone else gearing themselves for a toughie
Saturday looks chilly here - 20-35mph winds and getting no higher than 3° C but otherwise dry and OK.

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
40 pointer yesterday! - Gross 82.

Chipping felt like an absolute mess and the driver wasnt the best behaved yet its my second best ever round!

A bit gutted I didnt start the round in EG before tee off as that would have dropped my HI into the 15's for the first time - but its a shot saved for winter golf!! #bandit

Well done, good golf!

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
Out with a bloke I've never played with today. What a brilliant day. He was awesome. Story after story, ups and downs of life. I played bluddy brillant golf as he took my mind off what I was doing. THree over after 9. It was like shelling peas, so flippin' easy. Then my amazing ball striking caught me out as I hammered a ball miles with my hybrid dead straight OOB when I'm usually 20 meters short. Then hammered a drive down 13, it was flying.....but caught the left hand tree branches at 210 meters. Grrrrr. I never recovered. Even another perfect drive down 18 bounced into a bunker I'm usually well short of.
But all of this did not matter as this 80 yo fella was extremely complimentary about my game and company and refused my offer to buy the drinks afterwards and insisted he bought them. We've swapped numbers as he was insistent we would play together on another day.

What a brilliant day!!!!

For me, this right here is what golf is all about!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Only 17 of us went out in our rollup. It was very windy, very cold, and it rained a little and sleeted a little. Nonetheless playing off our front tees I still managed to accumulate 37pts and a joint win…?. And for my troubles I’ll probably see myself £6 better off. But hey. I don‘t play golf to pay the mortgage - just as well.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Took my clubs for a walk in the wind.
1st tee nailed my driver 175yds normally 250.
15 trees came down some very big ones.
Seen a vid of Formby GC lots of trees down there.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
A bit windy today and freezing. A short par 4 which is usually a 3 wood and half a wedge was a 3 wood and 4 iron. Could barely stand up at times.