I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Boomy

Visit site
Fab couple of days away with the chaps. Dalmahoy East Course yesterday, off the whites… interesting with it blowing a hooley! Really enjoyed though, very challenging and super fast greens (scraped 28 points) Dalmahoy West Course was cancelled today due to flooding so we played Powfoot on the way back down - fab course and a real test today in 25+mph wind with severe gusts (managed 35 points with 2 n/r’s on the card, happy with that)

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
It was either sublime or rubbish. Hitting 210 yard 5 wood to 3ft, or missing a green from 85 yards ?.

I'm starting to see real improvement in my ball striking on the course after a series of lessons, but it is still far too inconstant.

I've been working hard on my putting, for which I'm now seeing the benefits. My putting HC is down to under 2. I missed a few this round as the greens have been worked on and were a bit of a mess.

Driving is next on my hit list. Although its not too bad. I'm still around a 16 HC for driving. If I can get that under 10 I should be well into a single figure handicap index.

Low 80s now feels like a bad round, whereas at the beginning of the year I would have been extremely happy whith it.

AliMc

Visit site
Had a call off from our 4 ball at Dunbar today, bit breezy when we started so just a friendly knock off the yellows, shot 2 over, 1 over each 9 with a double on the 11th, retired my Spider X for a few games and switched back to the Odyssey works #7 putted much better, the grip is a bit grubby so I think I will replace that and use it for a while, course still in fantastic condition, greens superb

HeftyHacker

Visit site
A quick 9 around St Annes Old Links with the FiL before work this morning. We decided to have a match and he would give me a shot a hole (he's off scratch, my CH is 14, but I'm woefully out of practice and form).

I was worried i still had PTSD from last I played there and sure enough I put my first drive into the long stuff up the left, managed to recover for a bogey.

I didn't actually have too bad a round given the conditions (20mph wind, 30mph gusts). Had a couple of shockers but down to poor decisions as opposed to poor execution in the main. He made a mess of the par 3 9th to open the door for me to halve the match.

Putter is ice cold at the moment though. I can read the line well enough but anything over 10 ft or so its an absolute lottery as to how far short/past its going to run.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Another solid round this morning, 88 for 43 points, currently leading the comp.

Didn't do anything spectacular, driving was pretty good, although pushed a few in the trees, irons and hybrids were on song, putting was average. Just kept playing good shots and getting out of trouble well whenever i got in it. Can only remember 3 "bad' shots, which is a good sign.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Our greens have been struggling over the last few weeks.
Not sure why but it could just be sheer numbers of golfers.
Anyway, they began maintenance on them today - nor coring but slits and seed and sand.
Putting on them was, literally, like putting on a ploughed field..
Back 9 is being done tomorrow and we started there.
Decent 9 of level handicap 5 over (18 points) with1 double.
Driving was a bit off to start with but it came back.
Back(front) 9 and we're on to the ploughed fields....speed control was almost impossible and as for direction:ROFLMAO:
Quite how I managed to come off with a 2 over 20 points is completely beyond my comprehension.....
38 points(78 gross +7), equal 3rd best round of the year and I don't get cut because an exact same score is a counting one that drops out of the top 20...:rolleyes:
Still short of birdies....1 double, 5 bogeys and 12 pars.....

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played in a 4BBB pairs open at my old course Ullesthorpe today.
I was crap front nine, partner crap back nine but we each played well the other nines and we finished on 43, not enough but it was windy and heavy overnight rain so we might get a place.
I did have a two though so probably a few balls. :)

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had the day off to use our rain check voucher we were kindly given by Sudbury Golf Club. Course was lovely. Golf was bad... really bad. Could barely hit the ball properly. My front nine was even worse than when we went there in torrential rain. Made no pars on the front nine, finally got one on the 10th. My second and third pars came at the 17th and 18th. 14 points out and 17 in for 31 total. I can't believe it was over 30 in all honesty, felt like I hacked around for most of it. Gross score of 92, first time I've been in the 90s since July. Driving was the only passable bit, couldn't hit hybrids, couldn't hit irons, chipping was mediocre at best, and I can't putt. Joint best in the group as the others scored 31 and 24. Oh well. At least it was free! ??‍♂️

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played 7 yesterday afternoon, had a bucket before I started. It was really windy and made a few holes long but wasn’t that helpful going down it. Played this okay was relaxed and stayed in confines of the hole. Short game was okay as well , did not need to putt as I was getting it close until I left one 3 ft by , sadly missed the putt though ☹️, but came straight back with a birdie..
Course has had a cut as well .. no more long grass to define it as part of the prep for winter

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site
Has anyone ever just randomly starting hitting the ball in the polar opposite to your norm?

From starting golf last year I have hit a fade and the bad shot was a slice.

Now I hit a draw, with my bad shot being a hook.

I had a weeks holiday in August, come back to golf and its just different..... I cant explain it :ROFLMAO:

Im not complaining, its a safer miss at my home course - its taken a bit of time to adapt to but Im shooting decent scores.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Has anyone ever just randomly starting hitting the ball in the polar opposite to your norm?

I had a weeks holiday in August, come back to golf and its just different..... I cant explain it :ROFLMAO:

Im not complaining, its a safer miss at my home course - its taken a bit of time to adapt to but Im shooting decent scores.
You need to lose that draw/hook round Blackmoor. It is a faders course !!;)

Last edited:

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site

Yep. I remember it clearly.

I've always had a slight fade or a straight block. Never tried to fight it, and only hit a draw or hook when absolutely necessary.

I was hitting my second shot into the par 5 7th at my old course. Had a nice lie on the left of the fairway. My intention was to hit a nice high cut into the green with a 3 wood.

I snap hooked it into the 8th green. It was a bit of a shock.

8th hole, 185yard par 3. Hooked the tee shot OB.

9th hole, short par 4. Hooked the 3 wood off the tee OB.

From then I fought a hook for a while until I injured my ankle and had a month or so off. Came back and found my nice reliable cut had returned.

Very strange.

I still hit a cut. But I'm trying to make some swing changes to make it more reliable having returned to playing last year. I occasionally double cross and send one left of left.

yandabrown

Visit site

It happens regularly within a round, starts off with a strong draw, gradually straightens over the next few holes and by the time I'm on the last few holes, everything goes right! I assume it starts with being too tight and ends with being too tired. I just want the straight ones!!!

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It happens regularly within a round, starts off with a strong draw, gradually straightens over the next few holes and by the time I'm on the last few holes, everything goes right! I assume it starts with being too tight and ends with being too tired. I just want the straight ones!!!
Easy fix. Make sure you warm up for an hour before playing and then only play 6 holes and go home.

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played Dunstanburgh for the first time today. What a fantastic course, in great condition.

Was pretty windy for most of the round, just died down over the last couple of holes. Fortunately the forecast rain never really materialised. Some tough holes given the wind, green were also pretty tricky, didn't play fantastic, but didn't play terrible, and massively enjoyed it.

Bdill93

Undisputed King of FOMO
Visit site

Well - looks like we get to hack it together at H4H! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: