I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

NorfolkAsh

Visit site
After playing for 3 months I came the closest to breaking 100 I've been - made the mistake of tallying up before the last 2 holes and realised I needed to bogey them both to to score 99. Proceeded to top my way down the par 5 and finished 102 :cry::ROFLMAO:

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
After playing for 3 months I came the closest to breaking 100 I've been - made the mistake of tallying up before the last 2 holes and realised I needed to bogey them both to to score 99. Proceeded to top my way down the par 5 and finished 102 :cry::ROFLMAO:

Tallying up your score with a hole or two to go is bad mistake, a sure way to put pressure on yourself if you think you are heading for a decent score. One of my pre-season goals was to break 90 for the first time. I was playing well a few months ago and knew I'd be close. Tallied up and realised I needed a 5 on the 18th which is a tough par 4. Was nervous wreck on every shot, thankfully managed to hole a 6-7 ft putt to get the 5.

Now I count up the score after 9 then after 18, that's it.

NorfolkAsh

Visit site
Tallying up your score with a hole or two to go is bad mistake, a sure way to put pressure on yourself if you think you are heading for a decent score. One of my pre-season goals was to break 90 for the first time. I was playing well a few months ago and knew I'd be close. Tallied up and realised I needed a 5 on the 18th which is a tough par 4. Was nervous wreck on every shot, thankfully managed to hole a 6-7 ft putt to get the 5.

Now I count up the score after 9 then after 18, that's it.
Definitely a lesson learned!

D

Deleted member 3432

Beautiful morning on the links with barely any breeze and great light quality so superb views of the Scottish coast and Lake District fells.

Didn't bother with midweek comp as I'm in swing thought mode at present to try and tighten top of backswing position.

A couple over par but it got a bit scrappy over the last 5 holes and lost the feel of the swing. Back has been stiff the last couple of weeks but felt looser today so hopefully all the stretching etc is doing the trick. Last golf of the week, gym next two days and then back to work Saturday.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Strange round this afternoon, not been in great form recently but also not played at my home course in weeks. Thought I'd chuck in a card anyway and see what happens.

Ended up shooting 38 points and breaking 80 for only the second time with a card in hand, all despite not feeling like I'd played well. Was working on my follow through on my irons and wedges following an observation that I had a tendency to cut it short and the improvement to my ballstriking and distance was great!

Left a lot of shots out there too, couple of duffed pitches and too many 3 putts.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Was staying near Fortrose, didnt play the courses we intended to, struggling to justify paying the high green fees charged tbh, by the likes of Dornoch, Nairn, Gleneagles, Dornoch, Fortrose(looks a nice course, from our walk around it), even places like Tain/Brora are high green fees.

Instead drove part of the NC500 route to play Durness & Raey. Wow what a stunning drive, left early, sunrise arrived fairly quickly drove up the A836(I think) from Fortrose to Durness. Amazing scenery and alot of purple tinge.

Raey, pictures below, played in the afternoon(2nd 18), played though a 2 ball on the 4th then millionaires golf, round in about 2hrs 20 mins, didnt feel fast but helped by the wife being pooped and walked 4-5 holes out of the 18:D.

Some nice holes and green placements on the course and interesting bumps/humps in fairways, worth a play, couple of birdies, couple of triples but not to bad given the long day and 2nd 18, enough wind to make it interesting:-

Big pictures if click on twice.

Played the Reay and wick opens this year, both very enjoyable. Playing Fortrose this weekend in an end of season open, not played it in a few years. If you were up you should have given me a shout I would have got you on nairn if I was able to, though this week the Tomatin Pro am was on at Nairn, Castle Stuart and Royal Dornoch.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
First game in a while today, been too busy caddying to play. Was surprised how well I hit it tbh, only a couple over. What was surprising was the temperature. Caddie this week in the Tomatin Pro Am and its been freezing, really layered up today, but it was so warm we were all stripped down to tee shirts by the 3rd, must have been close to 20 deg, which in contrast to Tuesday where it was 5 at most. Playing again in the morning with the boys then the Fortrose open on Sunday.

D

Deleted member 3432

First game in a while today, been too busy caddying to play. Was surprised how well I hit it tbh, only a couple over. What was surprising was the temperature. Caddie this week in the Tomatin Pro Am and its been freezing, really layered up today, but it was so warm we were all stripped down to tee shirts by the 3rd, must have been close to 20 deg, which in contrast to Tuesday where it was 5 at most. Playing again in the morning with the boys then the Fortrose open on Sunday.

Are the Yanks back en masse if you're caddying?

Been warm here today considering its October although the heavy rain all day has rather spoiled it. At least the water levels in the Lakes will get back up to normal levels.....

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Trip to the range at St Andrews Links Academy tonight to hit a bucket of balls and played a few holes on the Balgove to try out what I was working on on the course. Lovely evening in the Home of Golf but sadly getting dark too early (7pm) for evening golf now.

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Had a knock with a lad i used to play rugby with.

As seems to be the normal now when I play with someone new to my course, I played, or at least started, terribly.

Was 10 over after just 5 holes ? leaving me with just 2 shots in the remaining 13 holes to shoot my CH.

Ended up 16 over in the end and only dropping one shot in the final 6 holes so a strong finish for me on the holes i normally ruin my rounds on.

Bring on the winter open at Kirkby Lonsdale on Sunday!

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played this morning with the boys first time in about a month with my usual crew. Hit it pretty well, 4 birdies two bogeys, but alas it was not good enough to beat a 14 and 16 handicap who played very well. Halfed the back 9. Was 2under gross and still got beat?. Then had a caddy job after, knackered would be the best way to describe it, they guy I had brought a cart bag with no strap with him all the way from the US
It way like carrying a roll of carpet around for 18 holes.

D

Deleted member 3432

Played this morning with the boys first time in about a month with my usual crew. Hit it pretty well, 4 birdies two bogeys, but alas it was not good enough to beat a 14 and 16 handicap who played very well. Halfed the back 9. Was 2under gross and still got beat?. Then had a caddy job after, knackered would be the best way to describe it, they guy I had brought a cart bag with no strap with him all the way from the US
It way like carrying a roll of carpet around for 18 holes.

I hope you got a good tip.....?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
My 43pts at Camberley Heath in the H4H ‘warm up’ on Thursday. Can’t recall scoring over 40pts before in ‘proper’ comp. Often happens that when I play a course for the first time I play well. I wont bother myself that it could easy have been 46 as I had three 3 putts…I’ll remind myself that if I hadn’t done these three x 3 putts I might not also have had 3 birdies (that’s golf cunning balancing act), though I should have had a fourth on the long par 3 11th where I won nearest the pin and had a very make-able uphill putt.

Well chuffed is an understatement.

Last edited:

adasko

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Big thanks to Patrick for getting me at Nairn GC today. What a fantastic golf course and the host was an absolute gentleman.
Cracking weather and some good golf. Highlight of the day was my approach shot on the first hole to 3ft for a birdie tap in.
For those who haven't played their it's definitely a bucket list course.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Earliest tee time we could get today was 3.30pm on the Ashludie but with heavy rain battering down pretty much all day until 3pm I was quite glad that was the case. Headed out and course was largely empty (not surprising given the rain) drizzle came on a bit on the fourth and fifth holes but after that it was lovely weather. Best I've hit irons this year and pretty solid driving too, enjoyed being out there a lot.

IMG_6230.jpg
18th green, Ashludie course, Monifieth Links.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Thursday at Camberley Heath - very poor front nine of 14 points, followed by a vastly improved back nine of 21. Course was nice, bit quirky, I didn't really like the 10th or the 18th though! Had a frustrating habit of hitting putts on line but literally one inch short.

Friday at Blackmoor - found greenside bunkers on the first two holes and only managed double, triple for a cracking start. So another poor front nine of 15 points, followed by an improved back nine of 18. Aside from the 18th where I contacted a nasty case of the duffs. Another lovely course, I maybe preferred it slightly of the two. And I'm glad I didn't embarrass myself on my first forum meet, two pretty decent scores of 35 and 33. I really should address why I'm always better on the back nine though.

Today - went with the wife to Wexham Park for nine holes on their green course. I haven't been there since I was teenager playing with my mum and dad, and I didn't remember many of the holes to be honest. You would think playing for the third day in a row I'd be well practised, but in fact I hit the ball terribly, and my irons even seemed to have lost distance somewhere. Wife reckoned I was just tired. Managed to hack it round in a 9 over par 41. Wife hadn't played for over a week as she injured her back playing tennis, so she had regressed a little bit as well and shot 68 (she's normally around the 60 mark). Our lunch was really nice though.