I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

HeftyHacker

Visit site
Nice track Stand.
I am playing Whitefield just down the road from there tomorrow that’s a fabulous course.
Not been for a while looking forward to it.

Yeah we were really impressed actually. Played Whitefield a few times and always really enjoyed it with some great holes. Stand seemed like the little, quieter brother. Only thing that slightly let it down was the state of the bunkers, but greens were immaculate, fast and true.

D

Deleted member 25172

Just got home after a golf weekend which started on Friday when @Bigfoot was kind enough to have us at Enville. Together with the Addington that I played a few years back, these were the best greens I’ve ever played on. Lovely course all around and would love to come back at some point.

Yesterday we played an open comp at Aberdovey and today we finished the “tour” at Royal St David’s before the 5 hour journey back to London.

A weekend that I’ve been looking forward too for so long, and we couldn’t of asked for better weather and the courses themselves was great, but my golf was so poor across all days that I almost wish I wouldn’t have gone in the first place.

Trying hard for it to not get to me when playing badly, but I can’t seem to shrug it off. Enville was bad, Aberdovey worse, and today I simply gave up at 16 and just walked 17 and 18 with the group.

If I aim down the middle the ball takes a leaky weak left to right flight leaving me in all sorts of trouble, and when adjusting it and aiming left I flush it going dead straight right out in the trouble where it’s aimed at. Think across the 3 rounds I lost a total of 10 balls.

Usually takes me about 10 minutes post-round to get the chin back up again, but right now it’s just like a big depressing nightmare as I don’t really have any other interests besides golf, which makes it even more depressing.

Curls

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just got home after a golf weekend which started on Friday when @Bigfoot was kind enough to have us at Enville. Together with the Addington that I played a few years back, these were the best greens I’ve ever played on. Lovely course all around and would love to come back at some point.

Yesterday we played an open comp at Aberdovey and today we finished the “tour” at Royal St David’s before the 5 hour journey back to London.

A weekend that I’ve been looking forward too for so long, and we couldn’t of asked for better weather and the courses themselves was great, but my golf was so poor across all days that I almost wish I wouldn’t have gone in the first place.

Trying hard for it to not get to me when playing badly, but I can’t seem to shrug it off. Enville was bad, Aberdovey worse, and today I simply gave up at 16 and just walked 17 and 18 with the group.

If I aim down the middle the ball takes a leaky weak left to right flight leaving me in all sorts of trouble, and when adjusting it and aiming left I flush it going dead straight right out in the trouble where it’s aimed at. Think across the 3 rounds I lost a total of 10 balls.

Usually takes me about 10 minutes post-round to get the chin back up again, but right now it’s just like a big depressing nightmare as I don’t really have any other interests besides golf, which makes it even more depressing.

It might be your only interest but it’s not your worth. Im guessing no one you speak to tomorrow will know or care what you’re on about if you tell them you had a bad weekend away golfing. Your friends will say unlucky, get em next time. It sucks that you didn’t play well on a golf weekend but we’ve all been there, bad timing that’s all. Probably literally, a moment out of sync and the rough these days will swallow 10 balls in weekend easy. Golf is a rollercoaster because we tie so much of ourselves to it. No one you care about or who cares about you cares what your handicap index is.

You’ll have great golf days. Nothing surer. Maybe having bad ones makes those all the sweeter.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not going to be moaning about the heat today - it was lovely and course was in superb condition. But boy I found chipping and putting in the heat really difficult - couldnt keep focus with sun beating down on my back, and it was slow; so slow that loads of NRs and withdrawals/walk-ins. Rubbish score but new clubs all performed pretty well so that‘s good and given my short game mess ups all in all not too much to complain about.
Update…40 NR or WD rounds out of field of 108. Conditions were tough in the heat? (and greens so fast didn’t help…?)…reflected by a PCC of 3. Only 5 scores nett better than par/CR…though how one lad off 11 managed to knock it round in nett 7 under…?. Must go check his Handicap Record ?

I am guessing that a PCC of 3 or more is going to be rare as hen’s teeth?

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 21258

Played terrible 36 holes at Saunton/Devon on Saturday , found a snake on a green and a ball a long why from home in the rough(wonder if one of our mods lost it;))

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
yesterday we played a rearranged mixed 4BBB competition, when it was previously played, we had 38 points with 2 holes to go when it was abandoned due to hevay rain and lightning. today we scored 41 points but it was only good enough for 4th place, it was a very lobsided round with me being on the card 8 times on the front nine and him 7 times on the back nine. Well done to the couple we played with who won with 44 points.

Today I played a local golf association knockout at Rochdale. for some reason I never do well there and today was no exception, I started ok and was one up after 2, but on the 3rd I got a bad kick and ended up behind a hedge, on the 4th I contrived to kick my ball when I stepped back from my bag after getting my club out and after that I was outplayed. I was giving 2 shots and my opponent after the first 2 holes was gross or nett par on every hole(counting concessions) I just never really go going with only 1 par and I rightly got beat 8&6

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Out for nine holes on my own on the Ashludie after work - went out just before five to avoid being behind a tee time of visitors - didn't have anyone in front or behind me at all and barely even saw anyone out there - plan was to sort out my misbehaving driver, that didn't really happen and I'm pushing it high and right but not far enough to get into trouble, I can live with a miss I can predict.

Rest of the game was very sound despite being in the bunker at the first which led to a double bogey. After that pretty much nothing went wrong, hit the ball well and when I got off line I got lucky - level par for the rest of the nine, one birdie and one bogey with all the par putts tap ins.

Perfect golfing weather out there too - bit of a breeze but you'd hardly call it wind, warm and sunny without being boiling - very tempted to play the back nine too but decided that heading home for tea with a good feeling was a better option.

IMG_5673.jpg
8th hole Ashludie course, Monifieth Links. Fun chip and run from off the front of the green with loads of break, almost went in and left a two inch tap in.

Few holes on the Medal tomorrow night and then Gleneagles on Friday - life is good.

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
Betterball srokeplay medal board comp. Partner with 9 shots me with 3.
Level par gross and 6-under nett.
Ten scores still to come in and we are lying 6th place nett.
In with a shout for the gross prize - fingers crossed.
Just found out we did indeed win the lowest gross prize. Not bad for two over 60s.
Played with two brothers in their early twenties. Their slow play did not put us off too much.

RoninPanda

Visit site
Spent a couple of weeks off the course after a terrible round, had a lesson in the morning before a round in the afternoon on my own. Finally broke 100! Out in 45 but the heat was getting to me on the last few (mainly uphill) holes causing a pressure putt from 8ft to make 99.

The new putter was a revelation, felt much more confident on the greens and 6 less putts than my previous best with only one 3 putt. Great feeling to come away feeling confident I'm progressing after hitting a bit of a wall

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played Tain on Sunday with 3 members, not been to the course in a few weeks and boy has the course burn in that time, fairways were almost white. We teed off an hour after a charity scramble last group, Stuart the pro said you might catch them on the last few holes. We caught them on the 8th:LOL:. Pretty slow especially as they kept waiting on the green in front to clear on some holes, 10, 11 and 12 while we were on the tee with them, but I'd be surprised if their best drive even went 200 and these holes are all over 350. Had a good game anyway and it was good to catch up with a couple of the boys who I hadn't seen in a couple of years.

Played Nairn on Monday in our roll up, beautiful morning with a nice westerly. Played well again, drove the ball well, hit a very nice drove on 7th and was able to go for the green in 2 for a change, topped my 3 wood, but scraped par, birdied 8 and 9, so found myself 2 under on the front. Then hit a bit of a block off the tee and looked to be oob,wasn't going to even bother looking but my partner insisted it might be on the path along the edge of the field and low and behold there it was on the path sitting up on a patch of grass . Trouble was I dad no idea where I was hitting to with a patch of gorse between me and the fairway 3/4 the length of the hole done 40 yards wide. So just had a pop with a 7 iron. Headed in the general direction of the ball, but wasn't hopeful of finding it, but luck was on my side, one of the group in the 4 ball 2 holes ahead, playing the 11th says, are you playing a prov 1Xwith line on? There it was out in the open between the 10th and 11th fairways in light rough. Stuck it on the green and sank the putt, that would never happen with a card:ROFLMAO:.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 3432

Way too hot for me today, never thought I would say that at Silloth ?

Fantastic true burnt out links conditions.

Unfortunately golf was distinctly average but tremendous to be out there and quiet after we got past some visitors early doors.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Out tonight at 7.30pm for a few holes on Monifieth Medal - supposed to be only one guy in front of us but plainly others have decided not to use the booking system anymore and there were a couple of two balls ahead of him - played 1-5 then skipped across the course to play another couple of holes on way home - finished with the 18th on the Ashludie.

Driving was absolutely brutal, high and right which is not a good idea with a railway in that direction, until that last hole when I made sure my left arm stayed straighter and fired an excellent drive away, repeated it with my three wood to see how it went and piped that too - got football tomorrow night but need to get out to see if I've fixed the driver problem - rest of the game is pretty sound.

IMG_5676.jpg
Fourth hole, Monifieth Medal

IMG_5682.jpg
This train driver doesn't know how much danger he could have been facing had this been a driver hole.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Played in an 18 hole medal today which was combined with a 14 man fuddle. Now I was steady most of the way round. One lost ball and half a dozen putts that set me tyrets off. I shot 91 less 17 for a 74. Nothing spectacular. But it was enough to win a nearest pin, joint back nine and overall winner. £28 in total thankyou very much.
Better still my 91 knocks off a 93 so hopefully a little cut. But it could of been so much better. Finished just in time to listen to the thunder.

Last edited: