I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
The boy has another couple of years up there. Have to add Golspie, Castle Stewart and Nairn to the list as well as playing these two again. It did help playing them for guest rates ?
certainly does, i think they want £195 at moment.
def rec Tain, was in good condition a couple of weeks ago, as is Nairn Dunbar at the moment. Fortrose is worth a go too, short.... don't let that fool you always windy

Visit site
Yep - but don't forget that the car park is level with first green/second tee so you have allow a couple of minutes to walk the length of the first - though surely nobody would have to be rushing to make their tee time on the Old Course.

You've never met my brother ! :p

We are in St Andrews the night before
1150 tee-off
The plan was to meet up at 10 and have coffee/breakfast in the Swilcan lounge - then wander down to the starting area about 11'ish - sign some autographs then tee-off
Just wondering if we can get a warm-up first but we'll see how organised we are on the day

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Roll up. Played a better ball match. Started OK for the first 3 holes, lost the plot and then looked vaguely competent from 13-16 including being 6 inches from an eagle on the par 4 16th (SI3). Thanks to getting paired with a 23 handicapper we won 4&2 and he played out of his skin albeit knackered after from carrying me all day

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
certainly does, i think they want £195 at moment.
def rec Tain, was in good condition a couple of weeks ago, as is Nairn Dunbar at the moment. Fortrose is worth a go too, short.... don't let that fool you always windy

Thanks for the reminder, was talking about it as we travelled out of Inverness. Definitely on the list.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Thanks for the reminder, was talking about it as we travelled out of Inverness. Definitely on the list.
All things being well I'll be renting a house for a week on the course at Fortrose and Rosemarkie next June - it's a very nice course and there's always a decent chance of dolphins making an appearance.

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm down there myself in a few days.
What was it like and did you play the west course?

It was in great nick ... really nice course. My friend’s son is a member there so it was only £35 as a member’s guest. I have only played the East Course (twice), but he said we could play the West Course next time. Apparently that is a little trickier. I’m not sure if the clubhouse was open, but we went to the on-site hotel for our drinks after the round. Hope you enjoy your visit.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played in an Open at Blyth, Northumberland, yesterday. First time I've played there. What a smashing course. Not long but well kept, a nice mix of hole lengths, some cracking par 3's. The fastest greens I've played on all year.

I played very solidly, driving and short game was spot on. My partner, 4bbb, went on a hot streak on the back 9 and we ended with a score that could well see us in the prizes ?

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Wasn't able to book having the stitches out of left hand before the weekend, weather seemed good so decided to give it a go and booked in late for a stableford on Saturday. Two double bogeys to start had me wondering if a mistake but then rallied to 17pts for first nine. Momentum then stalled and limped in for 30 points. Will take a positive from using claw putting grip in comp for first time, yes the score could've been worse!

Mandofred

Visit site
Medal yesterday...84 gross net 75. Putting.......I can't get the blasted ball to actually go all the way IN the hole. Partially in and back out I seem to be really good at. For the first time since golf started up again........I hit the flag and it popped out an inch or two (MY fault, not the flagstick).....although it was for a 2 so I lost some money on it as well (that's what really hurts). 2nd round of a knockout on Tuesday against a 5 hc. If I can get the putter to work I may have a chance. I may have played just well enough yesterday not to go up .1........but there were thoughts in my head about just tossing in another shot which would raise me from 9.4 to 9.5 (10) and I'd get another shot on Tuesday.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
... symmetry

The grip adjustment made a world of difference, super shots bar one.

Three of the bogeys were down to taking too little club and then over clubbing.

My distances are very much on the numbers, I just need to actually trust the fact they are and not try to get 5 extras yards out a club just because I did once on the range yesterday.

The first bogey was the only bad shot and it was the right club, I just thinned it and it went 5 yards long. I need to try to avoid mid round calibration when there isn’t enough evidence, doing likely to contributed to me underclubbing twice in three holes, learnt my lesson and got a bird then made the same mistake again then over clubbed ...

A lot of mental lessons learnt as my short game didn’t save me today, so hence the bad score. When I was playing weekly it would save me but I have only played once since mid August and I was all over the show that day and gave up scoring as everything was a top or shank!

Attachments

• 21D02B9D-9866-4676-8243-1A4C1A3D9C7E.jpeg
    21D02B9D-9866-4676-8243-1A4C1A3D9C7E.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Rushed out after work on Friday evening. Teed off at 5.50 and finished at 8.05 as the light was fading fast. Would have been quicker, but was held up in the end as I caught up with a fourball on 17, which cost 10 minutes. OK if unspectacular round of 92.

Competition stableford yesterday in a threeball, including a friend off 29 in his first competition and his first time off of the whites. Off at 3.40 and finished the same time as the previous evening in semi darkness. We did let three groups through when looking for balls, which did cost us some time (twice were because of me developing a fade off of my drives which took the ball into the edge of the trees at 200 yards). Scored 31 points, with that fade off of my drives (including one bad slice) costing a few shots. Need to get back to the consistent largely straight driving that I had during the summer.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Well the big day arrived yesterday - golf with the wife for the first time! On our golf break to Coulsdon Manor.

She actually did rather well. Took her a couple of holes to get going of course, but she was pretty handy with the 7 wood and then 3 woods off the tee in the end - I would say longest drive was around 145 yards. Irons off the grass were more hit and miss, but enough decent ones here and there that we didn't have to resort to her teeing up on the fairway. She probably got a bit tired by the end and her last four holes were sort of back to the standard of the first few, before she'd got going. In the end she scored 130 - 65 on each nine - give or take a few that she probably forgot or didn't count, but I was never going to call her up on that. :p I really don't think that's a bad score for a first time on the course! Her best hole was a bogey on a 120 yard par 3 - a decent drive with the 7 wood, short of the green, chipped onto the green nicely and two putts. She said she enjoyed it, and wouldn't mind playing again someday - I think she'd prefer a par 3 course personally, the par 5s here were a bit of a slog for her. She generally hit it straight even when she didn't get hold of one, consequently she only lost one ball all round. She was very hard on herself, I tried to explain that anything propelled in a forward direction was probably a good shot, but she wasn't happy unless she got it properly airborne, haha.

As for my round - after duffing a pitch on the first I thought it might be a case of my game suffering from focusing on her - but I made bogey and followed it with three pars. Then a double, then six more pars! After 11 holes, only 3 over par, breaking 80 was well and truly on. Unfortunately I made the silly mistake of noticing this, and my last seven holes consisted of one par, five bogeys and a double. Finished on 80 exactly. Doh! Ten over par is still a joint-best for me, along with my Little Hay round from three weeks ago, and 80 is the best score I've made - 42 points in Stableford. But a touch of 'the one that got away' unfortunately.

Most importantly, we both had a nice day. We let someone through very early, I think it was on the first, but once she got going and the fact we had a buggy meant it wasn't as slow as I suspected we might be - only took 3 hr 48 according to my app, so not bad at all with a beginner in tow. We kept pace with the two we let through anyway. Followed it up with a very nice dinner and then a nice breakfast this morning as well which was all part of the golf break package. Happy days.

Edit: One thing I forgot to say - the Callaway Sure Out 2 that I got recently is absolute bloody sorcery. I was in greenside bunkers five times I think, and got up and down from four of them! Admittedly one of those was an exceptionally long putt, but the other three, I got out the sand to two or three feet. Unbelievable, when my bunker game was ropey at best before. They absolutely do what they say on the tin!

Last edited:

Kaizer_Soze

Head Pro
Visit site
After 2 cuts the past 2 weekends taking 1.6 off the handicap had a +0.1, on the 13th I pulled my tee shot into the edge of the tree line, ball was resting against a twig, thought it would be OK to move it but the ball rolled 1/2 a turn so called the 1 shot penalty. Completely threw me and I managed to duff my way to a 9 (NINE). Can't remember the last time I recorded a 9 in a medal. Closed out the remaining 5 holes in very dissapoimting style. Easy to say it shouldn't have affected my concentration but .......

Last edited:

Shooter McPowick

Head Pro
Visit site
Imploded on the 5th after the worst start all year - bogey, bogey, double, double. It was like I’d forgotten how to play. Usually there is at least one aspect of my game that is okay, today there was just nothing I should’ve stayed at home. Picked up and NR’d on the fifth.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Managed a measly 30 points in the roll up. In my defence I was absolutely hanging after a good drink after my round yesterday and then a neighbour and I had some beers chewing the fat. Not as bad as a PP who went to his new neighbour who was Polish and introduced to their home made vodka. He only last nine, and did well to get that far looking at the state of him. Soft drink for me after the round and home for a doze

Canary Kid

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Well the big day arrived yesterday - golf with the wife for the first time! On our golf break to Coulsdon Manor.

Great that it went well. Do you think that she might take it up? I play regularly with five different guys, all married, but only one has a wife that plays (mine doesn’t). Envious of him on that aspect ... when they go away on holiday, they always play at a local course ... I do that, but only as Billy Nomates unless the course pairs me up. Congrats too on your 80! I still dream of breaking 90 one day ?

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Great that it went well. Do you think that she might take it up? I play regularly with five different guys, all married, but only one has a wife that plays (mine doesn’t). Envious of him on that aspect ... when they go away on holiday, they always play at a local course ... I do that, but only as Billy Nomates unless the course pairs me up. Congrats too on your 80! I still dream of breaking 90 one day ?
As I say, I think 18 holes was a bit much, especially as I wouldn't want to be forking out for a buggy every time! I told her next time we could do a par 3 course or just a nine holer and she sounded more keen for that. I can't see her ever doing it every week like me. At one point she did say she finds any game frustrating if she can't do it good every time, I said golf might not be the game for her then. :LOL: