I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Slime

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played yesterday and can confirm it was stupid windy, gusting from all directions meaning yardages could be 25yds out either way if the wind switched at the wrong moment.
Driving was as good as it's been for a long while, (thanks Neil for that tip you gave me), but putting was poor.
The greens had been recently sanded and I just couldn't get the ball to the hole.
My goodness it was windy, and with the occasional horizontal shower, it was never going to be a good scoring day.
Good fun though.

D

Deleted member 21258

Just finished and sat in clubhouse with a coffee now. Played in a stroke play event today NQ but it was for our club B team top 4 gross scores and top 6 nett score a from 46 players got to make the squad (8 players and 2 reserves)

Course was wet and the conditions were very windy. Left the driver in the bag after the 3rd simply because any sort of side spin was hugely exaggerated in the wind today. Actually played really well knocked it round in 74 with 14 pars, 1 birdie and 3 bogeys. Always play well in the wind just need to do the bloody same in calm conditions.

I managed to nab the first spot with lowest gross and one guy I played with made it in as well. Now just wait for the first match which is in April, and play in the team roll up each Saturday to try out pairings.

Gutted it was NQ as would have been a nice cut.

Great scoring. You seem to have got back into golf and shooting great numbers very quickly, did you use to play loads of golf as a junior ? How low did you get before ?

D

Deleted member 18588

Impromptu 9 holes with a friend this morning.

One double, three bogeys and five pars, (everything putted out) served as a reminder to me that once upon a time i was at least a respectable mid-handicapper.

Almost makes me wish that I hadn't decided to retire from comps.

Added bonus was a clear course in front of us meant we played the 9 in 1 hour 20 minutes.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
No Fragger' to beat so had to make do with demolishing CVG instead.
A very up and down round - 16 out and back.
Driving a bit suspect on the front, but scrambled well. Back 9 saw a solid 7 holes and two bad ones - first down to a horrid boggy lie in the rough and the other was down to a poor drive and needing to hack out.
Lots of good stuff though.
Putting was varied to say the least. So stoked smooth and accurate, sometimes jabby and all over the place.
Saw a couple of wallabies having a boxing match which was possibly more entertaining than the golf....

Wolf

Visit site
Great scoring. You seem to have got back into golf and shooting great numbers very quickly, did you use to play loads of golf as a junior ? How low did you get before ?
I did play as a junior yes literally lived at the course throughout summer holidays. I played from 13 years old, got to single figures fairly quickly but being small I didn't have distance to get lower but then as I got a bit older 16-19 I got down to 3 quickly then, then lowest I got was 2, was working as assistant Pro at 19years old but had a child young and couldn't afford to stay on the wages of an assistant and be a parent so off I went to the forces. I stopped playing initially as I hated the fact I couldn't play all the time at level I wanted to play, that was immaturity and I partly regret that now. Took it up again mid 20s got to 4 handicap quite quickly again but wasn't enjoying it playing sporadically due to going on tours of duty so gave up again. Now I'm a bit older and more mature with kids more settled I have found I'm loving the game again and enjoy playing and don't put pressure on myself to be that Teenage wannabe PGA pro, now I'm just enjoying the game and not overly worried where handicap ends up, I'd like to be Cat 1 again but I'm not pressuring myself be. Always been lucky enough to be a good wedge player and short games always been solid that was a benefit of being smaller as a kid had to develop other areas to Compensate, now though I'm a bit stronger I can keep up with distance I'm still not the longest or near forum distance but have enough to mean if I keep it in play I can score pretty well, I'm looking forward to seeing what summer brings.

anotherdouble

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No Fragger' to beat so had to make do with demolishing CVG instead.
A very up and down round - 16 out and back.
Driving a bit suspect on the front, but scrambled well. Back 9 saw a solid 7 holes and two bad ones - first down to a horrid boggy lie in the rough and the other was down to a poor drive and needing to hack out.
Lots of good stuff though.
Putting was varied to say the least. So stoked smooth and accurate, sometimes jabby and all over the place.
Saw a couple of wallabies having a boxing match which was possibly more entertaining than the golf....

You sure it wasn’t Fragger having an argument with his shadow 😜

rudebhoy

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played up at Newbiggin this afternoon. Forecast was for a bright sunny day with moderate winds. Was cold, blowing a gale, overcast on the front 9 and steady drizzle on the back 9. Enjoyed it though, was hitting my irons great, putting not so great. Driver stayed in the bag mostly, only used it 4 times, don't have any confidence with it at present.

Managed 37 points with only one blob, was happy with that, but was glad to get off after a freezing cold and wet back 9.

D

Deleted member 15344

Nice today this morning

Friday roll up - also had a friendly 4BBB match , 3 down with 4 to play - I birdied 3 of the last 4 to get a half for a nice level par round to win the roll up

Feel good going into the start of the season

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
A new first today. Played all four of our par 3s in just 10 strokes. 3 birdies and a lip-out bogey. Why does golf never seem to let you have perfection? :ROFLMAO:

Saw us into the winner's circle and I was well pleased with everything else too. Even got round dry too after having been soaked Monday & Wednesday.

Last edited:

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
A new first today. Played all four of our par 3s in just 10 strokes. 3 birdies and a lip-out bogey. Why does golf never seem to let you have perfection? :ROFLMAO:

Saw us into the winner's circle and I was well pleased with everything else too. Even got round dry too after habving been soaked Monda & Wednesday.
Hope you were in the twos pot.

Bxm Foxy

Visit site
Just the range for me today. Still fighting the over draw. Altered the 19 degree hybrid to 20.5, struck it beautifully. Always have to take one positive away!

Wolf

Visit site
Just played in our final winter Saturday swing OOM qualifier, top 16 players in OOM get through to matchplay. Absolutely battered by a good 4 to 5 club wind. Our 14th is only a gap wedge usually or a full wedge from the back, today it was a full 5 iron and a prayer it cleared the water.

Was a hell of a lot of NR scores, leading score when I left was Nett 74.

I actually hit the ball really well but getting the ball in the hole was horrendous with the wind, managed to have a total of 42 putts :eek:, including a 4 putt.. Shot a gross 84 (10shots worse than the midweek NQ), yet so far that's leading lowest gross with potential of a 0.1 increase.. Tough school out there today. I witnessed a PP take a 7 putt as well I felt for him..

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played a friendly practise round at the home course off the yellows with a mate. Crazy windy, my weather app reckoned 45kph if that means anything to you! I played brilliantly though, ended up with a 39 point 85. Best I've played this year for sure. No blobs and only four pars, but loads of bogeys in a nice 'slow and steady' type round. Chipping was really good which always helps when you're missing greens because of the wind. Happy days.

Lump

Tour Winner
Visit site
Tee’d off in a light shower, halfway down the first it’s now biblical rain/hail. Bloody soaked by the time we got to the first green. Stopped raining before we tee’d off the 3rd tee. Was pleasant after that even with the wind. Damage was done though and I didn’t enjoy the round 1 bit. Huff.

IanG

Tour Rookie
Visit site
First qualifying comp of the year in glorious sunshine but a stiff wind. Played pretty well getting 18pts into the teeth of the wind and then weirdly struggled with the wind behind on the way home. A stupid double at the last took the shine off what could have been an excellent day. CSS cooperated though going up to 76, so a wee 0.4 cut takes me back into single figures after a winter at 10.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Played in a mixed Texas Scramble today using a selection of Ben Sayers clubs; 1960s Parex putter, 1970s Ray Floyd irons and 1980s Silver Crest laminated woods.

Format was medal play off 10% of the combined handicap, our total was 72 so 7.2 shots.
Very windy and after opening with a steady par we then three putted the short par 3 second for bogey.... But after that we were rock solid, scoring twos on the remaining three par threes (one of which was a chip-in by the worst chipper in the club, me) our card was 2 under gross so we were 9.2 under nett and won by 2 clear shots.

Only 11 teams in it but a wins a win. :)

1552154465760.png