I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Mandofred

Visit site
Got 18 in the last 2 days at Ripon. Greens are in great shape for this time of year. Really need a couple of sunny days. The grass is really needing to be mowed but they just can't get anything heavy out on the fairways yet.

My 3 ball won the senior rollup today, no help from me. I.....unfortunately.....absolutely suck at golf lately. Time to hit the driving range I think.

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Lovely walk on a breezy but sunny morning, but of march play for a giggle and lost 2/1. Funny thing was my opponent refused to give me the two shots 😂

Worked out nett -2 so pretty happy.

18.5* when we finished - the weather is definitely bipolar

Springveldt

Visit site
Forecast this morning was 30% chance of light rain.

Just started when I set off. By the time I got to the course it was absolutely tipping it down. Didn't have a brolly as it was carry only. Decided that discretion was the better part of valour, made my excuses and went to the range instead. It rained heavily for about 45 minutes then eased off, but I made the right decision as would have been soaked.
Only 9 holes open and all temps from the message in the app this morning, I bet you made the right decision.

Rained all day here again.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played a comp on Monday, although only playing to handicap I was 3rd on countback. Round spoilt but one really bad hole.

Play again today still playing nowhere near my best following last years injury but I am getting pleased with what I am seeing. Winds gusting up to 30 mile an hour and only a few shots over handicap.

One of the joys today was missing the worst of the rain which came in just we we went in to the clubhouse.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Went to play Verulam with two mates today - not far from me but I'd never played it before, so first new course ticked off for the year.

Played much better than my recent form. Still fatting most of my irons and even the odd wood, but driving, chipping and putting were all good enough that I was making mostly bogeys. Front nine of 16 points was pretty decent.

Just before the 13th we had an absolute monsoon all of a sudden - weather had been quite nice and warm before that. I promptly blobbed that hole as the downpour totally put me off - big hook off the tee from trying to grip the club too tightly in the rain, duffed a chip as well in a patch of mud. Had a poor double on the hole after it as well. The rain eased off and the sun came back out and I managed the last four holes competently for a 15 point back nine and 31 total. Very pleased with that on a new course in winter conditions. 👍🏻

Really enjoyed the course actually, would love to go back when it's a bit drier. It has a nice variety to it where you don't need to just whack driver on every par 4, and every hole has something different about it. A highlight on the very 1st hole though - there is a railway line running all down the left of the hole. My mate is in a bunker on the right of the green - hits the knife of all knives that flies out over the out of bounds and onto the train tracks. If he was ten seconds later he genuinely would have hit a train that came by. 🤣

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Another windy day on the chalk hills.....mostly rain free for a change, just a few spots as we finished.
Began with a double - a really poor tee shot to a bunker, 2 to get out and missed the bogey....
After that I played the remaining holes in level 2s...2 bogeys on the first 9 for 18 points
Then the wind got up and our front 9 ( our back 9) is tricky enough without a 25mph wind...
3 bogeys and a double for an adjusted 80.
4 shots better than yesterday in similar conditions
Yesterday's card put me up 0.1
Today's is putting me up 0.3.....
Hey ho....

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Managed 7 holes and the rain started so we walked in. Went back in the afternoon to do some range work. Wind got up so went home again.

Visit site
Played Seaham today. It's a course I have a lot of fondness for, being the place I played my first full round on resumption of playing golf in early 2022. For £10 I had a few concerns over conditions but was reliably informed by one of the many affable members I've encountered there that all 18 greens were on. The rest of the course was in a mess however. Part Baseball Ground c1974, part Somme, part golf course. Nothing ran on the fairway and I lost a few balls to the earth's core. Shot 84 and can't wait for a break with the weather, things are getting a bit silly.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Out early with Fragger doing his 1st 1i of the year after injury....I'll let him tell you how that went....
Starting with a par on 1p today - 2 hots up already :cool:
4 bogeys saw me turn with 18 points from 40 blows.....not bad
2nd 9 started brightly with 4 pars, a couple of bogeys left me 2 over for that 9 so 6 over total..37 points and I get the p.3 back that I went up yesterday.
Striking irons very sweetly right now and the TSi2 4 wood is rapidly making that slot in my bag it's own....

Visit site
Went to Ryton today. Nice weather and the course was in good condition. A pleasure to have a combination of these two things. We heard grumblings from people finishing their rounds as we warmed up. 18 pins all placed no more than 3 feet from the edge of the green may well have been it. Desperately difficult to get round under handicap for most I would reckon. Shot 86, putted well. A good example of the 'interesting' pin positions was the par 3 18th - tee shot on to the green and a green-side bunker in between my ball and the hole.

AussieKB

Visit site
Played in an Open at Collie Golf Club, called the Riverside Event, it used to be very big, but now not many people play, also it was stroke but has been turned into a Stableford event to try and get more people to play.

Shot 1 over yesterday, and turned up this morning with a massive hangover, it was my birthday....so please give me some leeway.

Hit it well again today but putts would not drop, took 4 from the edge of one green which hurt.....
shot 4 over, playing in perfect conditions, 31C and little wind.

Luckily I started drinking beer on the back nine so improved.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
St Patrick's Day comp today - a team event that they called either a waltz or a cha cha cha... Not sure which but basically on the 1st hole one person's score counts, 2nd hole two scores count, 3rd hole three scores count and then it repeats. Entered with my two mates and our fourth player didn't turn up so we had a 'ghost' player as a 4th, whatever that means.

It was absolutely peeing down for most of the first nine holes but the rules allowed us to pick and place anywhere on the course so that helped a lot - I don't even think the course would have been open if not for this team event but they had the food ordered in for it and so on. I finally got some game back and managed 83 gross for 36 points individually. As I say, the pick and place helped a lot but it's still nice to finally put a good round together after months of rubbish. Team wise I think we did ok but it's impossible to tell since they only read out the top 3 and the full list hasn't been published yet - and we don't even know who our ghost player was or how that even works. But I'm hopeful for top half as one of my mates played ok and the other wasn't too bad either! We only had one or two holes that we were disappointed in anyway.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
We closed all 18 again this morning. Hosed it down again last night so we’re right back where we started a couple of weeks ago.

Spoke to our head greenkeeper over a coffee and he reckons we need at least a month with no rainfall before there’s a hope of things starting to take shape for the season.

Mandofred

Visit site
We closed all 18 again this morning. Hosed it down again last night so we’re right back where we started a couple of weeks ago.

Spoke to our head greenkeeper over a coffee and he reckons we need at least a month with no rainfall before there’s a hope of things starting to take shape for the season.
At my new (old 2nd course) course, I think if we had 3 GOOD days of sun most of the course would be in decent shape....and the ball might even roll a little bit.... Just a couple of areas that would need at LEAST a week of good weather. 3 GOOD days, and I think they could get things mowing again.....Greens are in great shape for this time of year.