I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Played Prestwick and Western Gailes last week. Love western and was as good as ever, greens a little slow side. Prestwick is what i would describe as quirky, but enjoyed it non the less. a few blind shots too, in great condition though.

Played in another Blue tee comp on Sat much better than last week though dropped 3 shots on 16 and 17 from the middle of the fairway on both. 3 or 4 club Westerly which was very welcome after last weeks easterly.

made buffer as the css was 75, if only i hadn't ballsed up 16 and 17. Though the back on both with wedge and Sw in hand for both:(

Drove the ball nicely and putted ok, though didn't hole any of the birdie chances

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Had a nice round on Saturday. Just a friendly three ball at the home club, but my first outing on the new 20 h'cap, so I was pleased to end up with 34 points still. Managed a birdie and five pars. Front nine of 49 had a couple of stinkers, but the back nine of 42 was pretty tidy. Ironically the birdie was on the poorer front nine though. :lol:

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
Re: I played today and......

Played in a MASHIE event at Addington Palace, first time round the course, really enjoyed it, a very well set up course with some very well designed holes. The greens were green god knock how much water they have had seeing as the rest of the course looked like a desert. They were firm but still reasonably receptive and putting was quick and true, about as good a green as I have ever played.

Started off well and birdied the first with a long putt that would have gone off the green had the hole not got in the way. Played very well on the front 9 only for my driving to go totally bonkers on the back 9.

On 12 which is 150 yard par 3 over a fountain, the organisers ran a competition, where you had to try and hit the green using an old mashie club, which had a top line so thin you could shave with it. The clubs didn't have any numbers on them creamed my first on over the back. Got given a different club and hit the back, both strikes were pure and felt great and won a cap for my troubles too.

Our team finished 3rd beaten by a team of young guys who were members as Addington Palace so no shame.

After quite drastically changing my swing it feels like I am getting back into it, getting a lower more penetrating flight and a nice 2-3 yard draw. Hopefully it will stick and I can motor on in my development

BRISTOL86

Head Pro
Visit site
Played my first ever round of golf yesterday (not technically true as I started playing about 4/5 years ago but swiftly gave up) so I’m treating it as starting from square one which it very much is.

I’ve had 1 x 45 minute group lesson and then went straight to a Par 3 course to get a benchmark score to see how much I sucked.

It was pretty brutal. Shot 88 so +34. But I was very honest and recorded all penalties etc. What’s the point in telling myself I shot 70 when I didn’t!

4 pars, 4 bogeys, 4 doubles and the rest mostly 6s but with one horror 9 - 3 off the tee then 3 attempts to get out of a steep bunker and then a 3 putt. I

I was generally poor off the tee which is hardly surprising as I basically have no swing technique at all as yet. The ground is also so hard and dry that off line shots are not very forgiving as they just run and run and run!

But I’m quite pleased with my chipping/putting. Took 41 putts over 18 so 2.3/hole avg.

Really enjoyed my lesson, excellent instructor and have another 3 weeks of it to go. Going to play it again upon completion of the course and see how it compares! I’m hoping by then I’ll have a lot more confidence off the tee and be a lot more consistent with the ball striking/swing

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Saturday roll-up. Another day another day when golf baffles. Birdied our par 5 first; and hit our very difficult 474yd par4 second in two - just to four putt it from about 12ft.

And then...went on to play a very sensible and tidy round of golf to finish up 4 over gross (40pts) and 5 under my club handicap. And that with an undercurrent of the unmentionables sitting there waiting to get out - with them really only showing themselves on the practice ground.

And so...seems like my problem with the unmentionables is very largely in the head - and on the practice ground. Goodness knows though how I can have lessons to ensure that I'm not just fluking it on the course without going onto the PG.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Alwoodley today. First two holes I was all over the place. Got my son to check my alignment and discovered I was nowhere near lined up right. Sorted that and then played some very steady golf. Driver didn't work but after a severe lecture in the car park pre round my 3 wood was Henrik like, but 60 yds shorter😁. Fabulous.

Wonderful day, lovely course. Happy days.

JohnnyDee

Tour Winner
Visit site
Played in stifling heat yesterday with the ball going a mile. On our 11th - normally driver hybrid - I used 4wood and seven iron to get on in regulation.

I could get used to this but it’s going to come as a nasty shock when heatwave ends.

Still, in the meantime...eh?

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Played my first ever round of golf yesterday (not technically true as I started playing about 4/5 years ago but swiftly gave up) so I’m treating it as starting from square one which it very much is.

I’ve had 1 x 45 minute group lesson and then went straight to a Par 3 course to get a benchmark score to see how much I sucked.

It was pretty brutal. Shot 88 so +34. But I was very honest and recorded all penalties etc. What’s the point in telling myself I shot 70 when I didn’t!

4 pars, 4 bogeys, 4 doubles and the rest mostly 6s but with one horror 9 - 3 off the tee then 3 attempts to get out of a steep bunker and then a 3 putt. I

I was generally poor off the tee which is hardly surprising as I basically have no swing technique at all as yet. The ground is also so hard and dry that off line shots are not very forgiving as they just run and run and run!

But I’m quite pleased with my chipping/putting. Took 41 putts over 18 so 2.3/hole avg.

Really enjoyed my lesson, excellent instructor and have another 3 weeks of it to go. Going to play it again upon completion of the course and see how it compares! I’m hoping by then I’ll have a lot more confidence off the tee and be a lot more consistent with the ball striking/swing

Ashton Court Par 3 Course? Not a bad wee track and don't be discouraged if you feel your golf rather sucked - because it sounds that it was fine. Golf is difficult - you just have to play a bit to work out the best way for you to score OK on any hole from any particular situation, just part of the learning that we all have had to do and continue to do.

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
After some epic match play singles results this year (I have won three games on the 11th) yesterday I/we went one better in a 4BBB match. Interclub KO match and we won on the 10th 9/8. The only hole we halved was the third when one of their guys had a nett par.

Has anybody out there in forum land ever won 10/8?

r0wly86

Head Pro
Visit site
After some epic match play singles results this year (I have won three games on the 11th) yesterday I/we went one better in a 4BBB match. Interclub KO match and we won on the 10th 9/8. The only hole we halved was the third when one of their guys had a nett par.

I've won 9/8 halving the 10th

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site

Certainly have..

Playing a guy i don't really get on with in one of the club knock outs, who knew full well i wasn't playing that well and was struggling with the driver at the time. he had just got a whole new set of Titleist 913 and proceeded to tell me how well he was hitting it and how far the driver was going etc, etc. He then proceeded to hit his first, 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 7th tee shots into the moray firth with the driver. moral of the story let your golf do the talking;)

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site

I got stuffed 10/8 by Stu C at Aberdovey. I was 2 or 3 over gross at the time playing off 6 or 7. Stu was off 19 (I think) and was under par (gross) in some of the most brutal conditions I've ever played in.

The highlight hole was the first par 3. A hidden green surrounded by dunes and horse. I stick mine to about 6ft and Stu put his deep in the rough, about 30 yards left of the pin. He then proceeded to pitch it in from a lie that would have made a Tour pro weep. And he had a shot!!!!!!!!!

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
I got stuffed 10/8 by Stu C at Aberdovey. I was 2 or 3 over gross at the time playing off 6 or 7. Stu was off 19 (I think) and was under par (gross) in some of the most brutal conditions I've ever played in.

The highlight hole was the first par 3. A hidden green surrounded by dunes and horse. I stick mine to about 6ft and Stu put his deep in the rough, about 30 yards left of the pin. He then proceeded to pitch it in from a lie that would have made a Tour pro weep. And he had a shot!!!!!!!!!

I hope non were injured in the process lololol

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Something odd going on at the moment. Went out for half doz holes last night before tea - and on our 510 yd 1st I was on the fringe - 1ft from the putting surface - after a tee shot and 7i. Well I know there was a nice following breeze and I hit a ripper of drive; and my 7i was as well struck as I can and hit high; and when it landed short it got the mother of all beauties of a friendly bounce towards the green - but - ah yes - well that'll be it. Anyway. It is nice to know what I am capable with a fair wind and the gods smiling.

GOLFER1994

Head Pro
Visit site
2nd full 18 for the handicap card... (Played 9 as well so just 9 holes to go)

After shooting 108 last week i was a little bit sceptical. Hit the fairway on the 1st followed into a green side bunker, proceed to thin it out and lose the ball. Started with an 8. 2nd hole, 3 off the tee, unplayable 4th so had to take a drop and ended with a 9. Brilliant i thought, same as last week. However, started finding a bit more rhythm and ended with 50 for the front 9. Continued to improve and went par, birdie, bogey on to start the back 9. Fairly solid thoughout and scored 42 (6 over for the back 9) to card a 92. Very pleased with myself and can't wait to get that card in and start competing!