I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Crazyface

Tour Winner
Visit site
Shot 89 at Magdalene Fields to banish thoughts of last time I played there. Could / should have been better. Worst bit was the hole where walkers walk right across 20 meters in front of the tee. They have no concern about the golfers. One stupid woman stopped just to the right waiting for me to tee off. I waved her away and she said I kid you not " you won't hit me here". Ooooo I was tempted but waved her on much to her annoyance. Incredible ?

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Had a 4BBB knockout, my partner started like a train, winning the first 3 holes, sadly i could not match her and due to me 3 putting twice and one of the opponents getting a net eagle after holing a putt from off the green we we soon level, on the back nice the girl with the nett eagle holes 3 or 4 long putts, including one for another nett eagle, we were 4 down with five to play and although my partner won 3 of the next 4 holes, another long putt holes on the last saw us suffer a defeat. My only contribution was 2 halves, pretty poor really.

Boomy

Visit site
Played Royal Lytham ⛳️ today. Good conditions, not sunny but dry and only a moderate wind (gusty at times though) Played 1 - 13 great, on for a super card annnnd then imploded 14 - 18 ? Fab experience though and the course was superb, penal rough, great fairways and the greens were so true ? I’ll be back to tame those finishing holes....
7589BDD1-D512-4D11-B848-8D72C2DFE125.jpeg
4E79497C-A2C8-4104-8D4E-A00AA325C74A.jpeg

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Played Royal Lytham ⛳️ today. Good conditions, not sunny but dry and only a moderate wind (gusty at times though) Played 1 - 13 great, on for a super card annnnd then imploded 14 - 18 ? Fab experience though and the course was superb, penal rough, great fairways and the greens were so true ? I’ll be back to tame those finishing holes....
View attachment 37210
View attachment 37211
Played there last week, it was the bunkers that did for me, couldnt stray out of them.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Well what a strange round today in a medal comp, a birdie and 9 pars, sadly more than offset by 5 double bogeys, one triple and one quadruple, i had just one bogey. Nett result handicap up 0.1

Boomy

Visit site
Played there last week, it was the bunkers that did for me, couldnt stray out of them.

I managed to avoid them for 14 holes ? then I seemed to play every darn shot into them! I monumentally fell apart and lost more shots in 5 holes than the first 13 ? Really enjoyed it though, I’ll be going back to try again!

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Well what a strange round today in a medal comp, a birdie and 9 pars, sadly more than offset by 5 double bogeys, one triple and one quadruple, i had just one bogey. Nett result handicap up 0.1
That sounds like every game I play at the moment. Captains day last Saturday, 9 pars, 3 birdies, everything else was a double or triple. Tuesday in the mid-week Stableford. 9 pars, a birdie and too many doubles and a triple.
I can't seem to keep them off my card.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
Played off the white tees for the first time at this course last night. The course was playing a bit longer due to the recent rains making it a bit softer and it being quite windy.

When I got there the front 9 was backed up like the M25 on a hot Bank Holiday. So I started from the 10th.

Played nicely for that 9. Made a couple of silly bogies trying a different chipping style which I quickly abandoned. Got round in just over an hour despite being stuck behind a 5 ball for 2 holes.

Then got to the front 9 and had to wait for a two 2 balls to go off in front of me.
It toom the first pair 15 minutes to play the fisrt hole. The second pair didn't fare much better and finally let me through on the 3rd. I was finally let through by the first pair after some arm waving, halfway down the 5th. By which time I'd lost the will to live.

They were obviously not very good and looked like beginners, but my god it was maddening watching them potter about. They knew I was there and they were holding me up.

Anyway. Shot 83 which has brought my HI down to 10.8. Struck the ball reasonably well with my irons. Chipping and putting was a bit off compared to the last few rounds and my driver was back to being a bit spinney.

Hopefully my baseline has settled in the mid low 80s. Which I would have been extremely happy with at the start of the year. A single digit HI is definitely on the cards with a bit of practice. Something that I would have thought impossible when I took up golf again last autumn.

Playing Woodhall Spa later today which will be a real test of where my game is.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
First round of the singles handicap knock out this morning, against the club Captain.

I was playing the George Nicoll Pinsplitter irons, Uniroyal Arnold Palmer 1, 3 and 4 woods and one of my favourite putters, the Dick Greenway from Royal Colombo GC, Sri Lanka.

A poor chip on the first saw me losing that hole, hit the green on the par three second and a two putt par would have won me the hole but missed a 2.5 foot putt for par!
After that though my putting was very solid, I won the next four holes and was then able to play safe golf and won 7 & 5.

1624625608621.png1624625639455.png

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
My first game with a fellow forumer this morning. Treeseeker was looking for a game in the East Mids on Arrange a Game thread. Hosted at my home club, Scraptoft. True handicaps would have seen me giving 17 shots so we made it shot-a-hole for his first time on a course that I can play backwards blindfolded. It was our own little pharts vs whippersnappers game.
18 shots looked over generous after some fine pars by Treeseeker on the front nine to be four up. I fought back well to be dormie one down after a birdie on 17th. A rather friendly three putts on the last by Treeseeker meant the match was halved. Very pleasant company and an enjoyable round.
Shot of the day has to be Treeseeker's second to the 8th green that was played from the middle of the 3rd fairway! (and it is a long par four)

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
There were times, on that back 9, when golf just felt easy....it's going to bite me back soon....
And it did today....
Horrific front 9 - no pars, 9 points, all over the place, hacking like a Fragger......absolutely nothing was working..
Got on the back 9 and had 17 points - what the hell is that all about?
Stupid bloody game..
CVG accumulated 40 points but it looks like just a 0.7 cut, The Mexican had 33 and it looks like he's going up a decimal point or 2:rolleyes:
No change for me..
I'm actually quite heartened by the way I played the back 9.
After getting 9 points on the front it would have been easy to just give up
But for having no luck except bad on the back, things could have been better..

RichA

Visit site
First round of the singles handicap knock out this morning, against the club Captain.

I was playing the George Nicoll Pinsplitter irons, Uniroyal Arnold Palmer 1, 3 and 4 woods and one of my favourite putters, the Dick Greenway from Royal Colombo GC, Sri Lanka.

A poor chip on the first saw me losing that hole, hit the green on the par three second and a two putt par would have won me the hole but missed a 2.5 foot putt for par!
After that though my putting was very solid, I won the next four holes and was then able to play safe golf and won 7 & 5.
Nice looking putter. Looking forward to taking this one out on course some day. I know for a fact it hasn't seen a golf course in the last 40 years. C7BB3A5D-9771-4113-A47A-26F3FC2960C9.jpeg

RoninPanda

Visit site
First round out with another couple of members to get my first score for my initial handicap. First time off the white tees there.

Started well, got to the par 5 6th, bladed the 3rd shot wedge way past the green. Or it would have been if it didn't hit a tree by the green and bounce kindly to about 20ft. Made a par.

I used up all my luck, made a 10 on the 7th and the rest of the round was appalling. Hopefully that round won't be the one that counts when I get my inital 3 scores in

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Nice looking putter. Looking forward to taking this one out on course some day. I know for a fact it hasn't seen a golf course in the last 40 years.

Nice hickory putter.

Alex Pirie & Sons had a Sure Shot model, although I don't know if they were around in the 1930s.

1624633896394.png1624633939418.png

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Nice relaxing social round yesterday following two weeks of Opens and club senior champs.

We were out nearly a hour after the last 3 in the Dorset Seniors Championship but we caught them up on the 11th. They finished 3 holes behind the ones in front of them at one satge I thougt they had sent out the cavalry to look for tehm as we spotted two buggies looking for them. One of them finished as the champion and another the runner up so it must have been pretty tense and every care taken.

We watched quite a long discussion about what was the nearest point of relief for a path on one hole. Knowing the course well I personally reckon none of them got it right though. Nearest point of relief the majority of time is on one side of the path with a horrid lie after the drop ( it is next to a par 3 and I often play off the path rather than take a drop).

DeanoMK

Club Champion
Visit site
I played yesterday :cool:

Round 1: 39 points
Round 2: 35 points
Round 3: 37 points
Round 4...... I was 4 over after 12, playing some incredible golf and then fatigue and tiredness set in a little and I ended up +14 but with a still respectable 37 points.

Some of the most consistent golf I've ever played and all in one day!

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
3 man team comp today and we got absolutely drenched. Most groups walked in or didn't even start but we stuck it out. The winners went out early and and had played 14 before the heavens opened so no surprise that they romped it. Clubs, head covers, shoes, waterproofs, gloves and bag all either on or against the radiators in preparation for an 8am tee time tomorrow.