I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Fortrose this morning with the old man, was slow all the way round, 3 hours for our 2 ball.
Never hit the dizzy heights off the last few rounds but still not terrible either, just missed my birdie putt on the 18th a highlight, seemed to catch every shot heavy, not sure how.....
Hardly a breath of wind and glorious sunshine ?

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Beautiful sunshine all day today here - so it was something of a shock to head out the door for my 4pm tee time to discover that a haar had drifted in off the Tay estuary - so it was chilly out there.

Was primarily out to try out my new Cobra one length hybrid and quickly discovered it not as easy to hit as I'd hoped, very easy to top as anyone who saw me tee off on the early par fours would have seen.

I had to slow down my tempo to finally get a decent shot out of it but when I did it was lovely, lowish trajectory which is what you want around here. If I can get it tamed then it will be very useful in the summer. Hit a few good ones then threw in another top and it continued a bit like that - needs work but there's promise there - and it's incredible for bump and runs around the green so it will stay in the bag for a bit.

The Ashludie goes to full 18 holes tomorrow so we'll have all 36 holes at our place open.

IMG_4692.jpg
18th green on the Medal Course - pictures don't really give an impression of how misty it was

IMG_4693.jpg
6th green on the Ashludie Course

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
cold and overcaste at Nairn yesterday, but no wind at all.

had a great front 9 with 5 birdies, but 3 and 5 are under 300 yards. good start on the back, but then really caught a drive, alas it was going left never to be seen again, might be in the ladies Toilets:LOL: my PP though he was on a streak when i again hit a wayward drive down 13 where he was middle of the fairway and easily reachable in two. i found mine luckily the greenstaff had been trimming some tree's so hacked out. managed to get my 3rd on the green,but left with a 35 fter for par. My pp was on the back, i then sank the putt for par and he 3 putted:LOL:
we had a great game and were around in under 3 hours without rushing or running:eek:

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Out for nine holes after work to try out my new bag and have another go at taming the one length Cobra hybrid - both reasonably successful. Driving was poor tonight but short irons at the moment are the best I've ever hit them. I would have kept going but once the sun went below the horizon it got very cold - though it featured a beautiful sky. First full eighteen holes of the year first thing on Sunday morning.

IMG_4730.jpg
New bag rests on the 6th tee of the Ashludie.

IMG_4734.jpg
3rd green on the short (100 yard) par3 on the Ashludie has a fair bit of elevation - anything which doesn't quite make the green will leave this chip.

IMG_4738.jpg
Approach from the rough of the right of the Ashludie's 8th - this fairway was under water ten days ago.

1600 IMG_4740.jpg
Nice sunset from the 8th green on the Ashludie.

GreiginFife

Money List Winner
Visit site
glad i got a game in yesterday, bright but a cold wind, its peeing it down this moring

Lovely down here this morning old boy.
Frustrating morning, shot a 6 over 77 but was 2 over in the 15th tee and complacency crept in as I carved my drive in to the trees. Triple recorded there.
Silly dropped shots on 17 and 18 compounded it.

Still, nice to be out in good weather.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Lovely down here this morning old boy.
Frustrating morning, shot a 6 over 77 but was 2 over in the 15th tee and complacency crept in as I carved my drive in to the trees. Triple recorded there.
Silly dropped shots on 17 and 18 compounded it.

Still, nice to be out in good weather.
TBH its brightened up here now, put in a card:)??

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Out to get first card marked to get my first handicap in four years today - lovely morning here - weather app said 10mph winds from the south - which basically means there's no wind to speak off. Started badly but after first couple of holes played very nicely, had a couple of birdies and could/should have had at least another couple. Reasonably happy with final score and way I played - there's a bit better in there too I think.

That's my first full 18 holes of the year in and I was impressed with the greens - round in 2 and a half hours, never rushed, obviously getting a card marked so holed every putt - enjoyed that.

IMG_4767.jpg

davidy233

Tour Rookie
A rather blustery evening.

Weather forecast said gusting to 40mph - well it seemed to be constantly blowing at about that sort of speed when I went out for a hit after work - hardly anyone out there so mixed it up a bit - playing first four on the 'Ludie then 10-14 on the Medal before finishing by playing 13 and 9 on the 'Ludie to get back to the start.

Even with a hat on the hood was up on my hoodie for most of the time - and the 'Hot hands' hand warmers were invaluable but it stayed dry despite a couple of storms threatening to hit the course before they raced down the Tay estuary and out to sea.

I'd forgotten how much wider the Medal is than the Ashludie - looking forward to playing it a fair bit this summer. Largely pleased with how I played, especially into the wind which was pretty much behind me or right in my face on all the holes I played.

Forecast to be breezy again for my round early on Sunday morning but much less so for Monday when I'll hopefully get my second card for my new handicap in.

IMG_4772.jpg
11th green, Monifieth Medal, looking back down the par 3 hole from the 12th tee.

IMG_4775.jpg
14th green, Monifieth Medal with some nasty weather heading down the Tay

IMG_4777.jpg
16th green, Ashludie Links

Last edited:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
nice morning here with a bit of wind and chilly first thing, though it warmed up later. had a nice 4BBB match and hit it pretty well comp to the last couple of games, we even won and gave Slow Dave and deep pockets a bit of a doing.

when we got back, the starter who is one of our friends came over who was volunteer starter for the day and said he's timed the gap between the 4 ball and the 3 ball in front of them.. there was a 32 min gap. good that the club are being proactive in looking at slow play

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
A local 9 holer has closed down as the operators don’t want to run it any longer but you can still get on to it so I spent 2 hours there earlier trying to remember how to swing a club.

There were also about 20 people actually playing

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Played first thing yesterday morning at Inverness, first time since September.
Started slowly but pulled it back and played some excellent stuff, short game was super, it’s probably the one thing that has kept me coming back ??
Was off mats still but the course needs it still, it hasn’t recovered from winter yet.
We don’t know we are living when we play at Fortrose.

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Second full 18 of the year this morning - the two old guys in front of me were playing at some pace, nobody at all behind me for half an hour though so it was a nice leisurely hit on a lovely morning, breezy but not a gale.

Mixed bag - played the nine downwind holes really well, was level par for them - two birdies and a double bogey, rest pars - Into the wind I was at sixes and sevens though - quite literally at times - no particular reason, just made mistakes and got punished for them.

Got a bit tired on the back nine - sitting up to watch the golf probably isn't the best idea when you are on the tee at 7am, but played it pretty solidly for the most part.

Noticed a lack of four balls amongst the early starters and indeed looking at BRS there's only a few fours out today.

Out again tomorrow morning.

IMG_4786.jpg
8th green Ashludie Links.

IMG_4788.jpg
Looking back down 16th hole, Ashludie Links

IMG_4789.jpg
17th Ashludie Links

IMG_4790.jpg
Short par 4 18th Ashludie Links, the hole that messed up a good score on the back nine (for second time this week) for me.

Rlburnside

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Windy with some rain yesterday so only resulted in 29 points for 17 holes still enjoyed being out.

More pleasing is the fact that I have played the last 4 rounds without losing a ball, leading the winter competition by 7 points.