I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

AliMc

Visit site
Glad you enjoyed it Junior, it really is a great course, it's up there as one of the very best in East Lothian, full 12 months a year of great golf, fantastic condition at the moment given the weather we have had recently
Just heard that one of our group had a Hole in One today, against par of 5,5,3 started 7,6,1 and shot 73, two over, hope he had a GP scorecard going, drinks all round when we get back into the clubhouse.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
had a game with slow dave at Nairn, remarkably back on full greens apart from 3 and 13, which where still frozen.

was 5 down at the turn, but then started to play well and got it back to all sq on 15, then blocked my drive OOB on 16 and then 3 putt 17 from 10 ft to lose:censored:

not a soaul on the course when we tee's off at 9.30 despite the tee sheet booked solid:rolleyes: not to mention getting the same guys tee time again on friday, thats pretty much every Sat since Aug (except the dawn comps) books the sam time every week then cancels on Friday

BrianM

Head Pro
Visit site
Played this morning at Fortrose, full greens in play and round in 2 hours 20mins as a 2 ball.
Played pretty decent in a strong wind for the first 5 holes, driving was straight but again lacking distance, hybrids decent as well, highlight was my pitching though, from 70 / 80 yards, just all over the pins, very unusual for me ??
Glad to get out ?

Visit site
I am extremely envious. Dunbar is one of my favourite courses on that coastline. Meanwhile, here in one of the darkest corners of Yorkshire, survival is foremost in everyone's minds. Even if golf was allowed, I don't think our course would have been playable THIS YEAR. We had six inches of snow on Thursday, now we have floods.

AliMc

Visit site
I am extremely envious. Dunbar is one of my favourite courses on that coastline. Meanwhile, here in one of the darkest corners of Yorkshire, survival is foremost in everyone's minds. Even if golf was allowed, I don't think our course would have been playable THIS YEAR. We had six inches of snow on Thursday, now we have floods.
Yeah we are very lucky !

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Not a bad day, stiff breeze, but sunny. only one winter green on 13, ground still frozen as its pretty sheltered.

played with a mate who's a Dentist.... he was moaning the whole way round he had toothache, declined my offer to pull it out for him though!!

davidy233

Tour Rookie
www.davidyoungphoto.co.uk
Cracking day out there on the 'Ludie - Yesterday and last night's weather seemed to have put people off playing (I noticed loads of free bookings when I looked at BRS to check that the course was open this morning) so I had nobody at all in front of me - While the full Medal course is open there were only nine holes of the Ashludie open (1-7, 10 and 18) as there's a lot of water lying on some of the other holes.

The holes that were open were in tip top condition for winter though and playing off proper tees and greens.

First time I've played since end of September/start of October so nine holes were probably about right for me. Enjoyed it an awful lot, given the rain we've had it the last month I was amazed at how good the course was and the weather was fine apart from the 35mph wind - got home and had to take layers off to cool down.

IMG_4454.jpgIMG_4457 2.jpg

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Beautiful day today - just above/about freezing but no wind to speak of and wall-to-wall blue skies - course was very firm but only a little frost showing (largely on the North side of tees where the sun hadn't reached). Still only nine holes open on the Ashludie and the puddles on the closed holes are now solid ice.

It was packed - or as packed as it can be with two balls, very little evidence of social distancing around the course - two golfers stopping for a chat and standing an arms length apart as they catch up on the gossip doesn't strike me as following current advice and I saw lots of that one and off the course today.

After Thursday's sprint around a largely empty course it felt slow - I stood on the last tee and checked the time as I waited to play - an hour and 30 mins for 8 holes is pretty slow for two balls here. It was no chore to be standing around waiting for short spells in this weather though.

Used my new Apple watch with Golfshot app for distances - seems to work fine, not that you want to be landing approach shots on the green at the moment - it's bump and run conditions out there.

Pic shows the gentlemen behind me playing the par 3 6th as I waited to tee off on the 7th - that is the moon in an otherwise completely blue sky.

IMG_4475.jpg

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Beautiful day today - just above/about freezing but no wind to speak of and wall-to-wall blue skies - course was very firm but only a little frost showing (largely on the North side of tees where the sun hadn't reached). Still only nine holes open on the Ashludie and the puddles on the closed holes are now solid ice.

It was packed - or as packed as it can be with two balls, very little evidence of social distancing around the course - two golfers stopping for a chat and standing an arms length apart as they catch up on the gossip doesn't strike me as following current advice and I saw lots of that one and off the course today.

After Thursday's sprint around a largely empty course it felt slow - I stood on the last tee and checked the time as I waited to play - an hour and 30 mins for 8 holes is pretty slow for two balls here. It was no chore to be standing around waiting for short spells in this weather though.

Used my new Apple watch with Golfshot app for distances - seems to work fine, not that you want to be landing approach shots on the green at the moment - it's bump and run conditions out there.

Pic shows the gentlemen behind me playing the par 3 6th as I waited to tee off on the 7th - that is the moon in an otherwise completely blue sky.

View attachment 34664
looks nice that still the Ashlundie?

frozen solid up here and really cold -1 even with the sun out. almost didn't make it as all my car doors were frozen so couldn't get in the car .

why was it slow? were were round 18 in 2 hours dead as a 2 ball, mind you not a soul on the course when we tee's off

davidy233

Tour Rookie
looks nice that still the Ashlundie?

frozen solid up here and really cold -1 even with the sun out. almost didn't make it as all my car doors were frozen so couldn't get in the car .

why was it slow? were were round 18 in 2 hours dead as a 2 ball, mind you not a soul on the course when we tee's off
Yep that's the Ashludie - It's solid here but I could get a tee in so not completely brick hard. Greens were pretty true but woe betide anyone landing an approach on the full on them - it'd be straight off the back and chip it back on - as I found on the last.

Think the speed was just down to how busy it was - the two guys in front of me were a bit annoying as they always stopped and watched each other play their shot rather than going to their own ball - and also had regular pauses for a chat - but I could see that in front of them that they had nowhere to go, it was backed up and if they'd played each hole quickly they'd have waited to play every shot (as I did) - I was just under an hour for nine holes on Thursday - but as I said it wasn't a chore being out there - gorgeous day and there's people a lot worse off than us at the moment ;)

davidy233

Tour Rookie
Stunning day at North Berwick today but far too bouncy on the frozen ground to worry about the score. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :)

View attachment 34665
Gorgeous Ian - I'm going to have to get my brother in law to invite me down again once this is all over. Last time we were there was a few years ago in between Christmas and New Year and the day we played was just like today - poured the day after.

AliMc

Visit site
Stunning day at North Berwick today but far too bouncy on the frozen ground to worry about the score. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. :)

View attachment 34665
Good that you were able to play today, some holes are still covered in snow at Dunbar so no go for us, may be middle of next week if the temperature doesn't increase soon, longest spell I can remember the course being closed for a long long time

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
another nice day here but cold again so winter greens.

due to some abusing the tee sheet we are now only allowed to play twice a week on the Main course, which is what the other local clubs are doing as well.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
my 2nd and last game of the week.. despite the forecaste for dry and sunny, as soon as we got to the 2nd green it started chucking it down. got soaked as according to the FC it wasn't going to rain:LOL::LOL::cry: no waterproofs Brolly and a carry bag

Last edited: