I played today and..(Rolling) -originally created by JohnnyDee

Captainron

Big Hitting, South African Sweary Person
Visit site
Love that course! How did you get on at that cracking par 3 over the chasm on the back 9? (12th??) And the par 4 after with what is apparently the narrowest fairway in Ireland? :eek:
Par 3’s are 5th, 7th, 15th and 17th. Fairways were very generous on the front nine with some amazing undulating greens. Back nine was a bit tighter with more traditional greens which had one large slope on them. I was level gross on the back nine ;)

D

Deleted Member 1156

Par 3’s are 5th, 7th, 15th and 17th. Fairways were very generous on the front nine with some amazing undulating greens. Back nine was a bit tighter with more traditional greens which had one large slope on them. I was level gross on the back nine ;)
Sorry, I was getting confused with The Island. Baltray is another cracker though, thoroughly enjoyed that one as well. Good shooting mate (y)

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
3 rounds at Royal Dornoch this weekend, one being a Pro Am. Best i've ever played there on friday, 73 gross in quite windy conditions. doubt ive driven the ball as well around here as this. key though was 1 under for the par 3's, which 2 and 6 can really trip you up. Course was in great condition though one of the members i was playing with was complaining about some of the fairways. Greens were great, pretty quick for here. Pro Am was much harder, it had rained all night and was a good few deg colder than the day before so course playing much longer. did ok , not in the prized but happy with my game again with a 76 gross. Yesterday though was a round too far, played good on the front, but couple with my borrowed trolley battery going flat at the 8th and having to push the thing the whole of the back 9, gave up after that;)

I have worked something out though, after playing the course now a fair bit, i think its quite an easier driving course than Nairn and pretty much all or most of the trouble is at the green

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Entered the Medal Winners Cup on Saturday. Very poor front nine, too many stupid mistakes so I was out of it by half way. Back nine was decent, very consistent in the end - finished with 7 straight bogeys. Ended up with 95, net 75 so 7 over handicap, and got my first 0.1 for a little while. I think my big problem was tee shots, I was using the new driver I picked up for the first time, so still need to get used to that, and the 3 iron wasn't working as well as normal either, so I was struggling to get in the right positions really. Also it absolutely chucked down for 80% of the round so that was miserable and probably impacted on proceedings a bit. Wedges and putting were good though.

Green Bay Hacker

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Played in the county 4BBB Autumn Meeting yesterday and they experimented by introducing some of the new rules, ready golf, leaving the flagstick in and removing all loose impediments in a bunker. I can see leaving the flagstick in will cause a few problems and delays when it comes in. If I understand it properly, if someone is on the green, the flag cannot be removed once their putt is on its way. Will you also get some people preferring to leave the pin in for a 10-15 foot putt while others want it out? The first few holes yesterday saw quite a bit of dithering, including from myself.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Fabulous nine holes tonight. I had the course to myself, quite literally, and used it as a chance to try somethings out. In particular I'm trying to weaken my top hand grip. Worked pretty well, I was hitting it cleanly and certainly straighter.

I borrowed my son's driver, a TM M2. I got a genuine extra 10-20yds of distance. Wow, just wow. Might not seem much but it got me past bunkers, dips, corners that normally I would be in or behind. It's staying in the bag for the weekend:D.

One extra bonus, I had a beautiful deer run in front of me on one fairway. It even stopped and stood for a while, not that far in front of me. Lovely.

The downside, the sun getting low early and blinding me on two holes in particular. That is only going to get worse these next few weeks, unfortunately.

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nahum Cup at Manchester Golf Club today for me, a grand tournament I won 3 years ago, I got off to a good start with 3 pars in the first 5 holes, but then after 2 good shots on the 6th inexplicably lost my ball and walked of with a quad bogey 8,which rather undid my good start, ended up chasing in after that, still played well but was too aggressive on the greens and wasted a few shots putting, so back up to 11 handicap.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
got an invite to play Moray yesterday afternoon with a couple of the Dornoch boys and a member.

quite windy but course still pretty dry and running esp the back 9.. played out of my skin TBH, which is great, but hitting form again when there is only one more comp for this year and a can't play in it as i'm away with the wife that weekend. Drove the ball really well again and only two bogeys and 3 birds, but rest par, most satisfying was si1 drive and a wedge and 18 drive and 58 to fin with a birdie and all the skins money.

Some of the fairways were quite bare, but nice and dry and greens were very good.

A reminder what a good course this is and the unsung course in the area esp the back 9 which has to be right up there with the best.

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Had a great game at Aguilon a few days back. gallery.html

Went to the turn 6 over par, and that was the handicap blown. Played the back 9 in 1 under par. 37pts, and 1 under handicap. The course was immaculate, probably one of the best courses I've played in many years.

Dan2501

Tour Winner
Visit site
73 gross for 46 points at Salobre New Course today - finishing with an eagle on 18. Could get used to this playing every day lark. Never played consistently this well in my life - 7 rounds in a row at handicap or better with one round of 75, another of 73 today. Lovely.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
73 gross for 46 points at Salobre New Course today - finishing with an eagle on 18. Could get used to this playing every day lark. Never played consistently this well in my life - 7 rounds in a row at handicap or better with one round of 75, another of 73 today. Lovely.
i think you posted this in the wrong tread, should it be in the "top Bandits!??;)

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
I decided to go to the course for a quick 9 holes after work yesterday. Since daylight is dwindling fast, it was probably my last chance to do that this year and the weather was decent. I did get stuck in traffic a bit and also I was pretty hungry after the workday but did not have the time to stop somewhere to grab a sandwich or something like that because I knew I had only 1 1/2 h or so of daylight left as it was. So I just jumped out of the car and onto the 10th tee as soon as I got there. What followed was probably the worst round of golf I have played all year. I basically s.....d the ball around for 9 holes. Well ... balls I should say, since I lost three of them. One went into the water and the others just went awol in the rough somewhere. The sun was already very low and the ball was hard to spot between all the leaves, even on the rare occasions it landed on the fairway.

When I cold start like this, I expect to struggle on the first two to three holes. But this time I just could not get my swing together at all. The only thing that at least marginally worked was my short game. I hit a few very nice pitches and chip shots. I take that as a plus, because I had been struggling with that a bit in the past few weeks. But even with countless Mulligans it wasn't enough to get any kind of score together.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Nice, solid 37 points today, just the one birdie but plenty of pars.
Some quality scrambling and Fragger and CVG annihilated(y):LOL::p

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I decided to go to the course for a quick 9 holes after work yesterday. Since daylight is dwindling fast, it was probably my last chance to do that this year and the weather was decent. I did get stuck in traffic a bit and also I was pretty hungry after the workday but did not have the time to stop somewhere to grab a sandwich or something like that because I knew I had only 1 1/2 h or so of daylight left as it was. So I just jumped out of the car and onto the 10th tee as soon as I got there. What followed was probably the worst round of golf I have played all year. I basically s.....d the ball around for 9 holes. Well ... balls I should say, since I lost three of them. One went into the water and the others just went awol in the rough somewhere. The sun was already very low and the ball was hard to spot between all the leaves, even on the rare occasions it landed on the fairway.

When I cold start like this, I expect to struggle on the first two to three holes. But this time I just could not get my swing together at all. The only thing that at least marginally worked was my short game. I hit a few very nice pitches and chip shots. I take that as a plus, because I had been struggling with that a bit in the past few weeks. But even with countless Mulligans it wasn't enough to get any kind of score together.
Totally get this. I always struggle straight from the car in terms of technique and tempo, and it can be either good or abysmal. No middle ground. Decided that it's now too late and dark to quickly to make nine holes viable anymore. I may get an hour of short game work but that won't last long either

louise_a

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had a 5 club comp yesterday, I had 35 points, with a driver, 3wood, 7 and 9 irons as well as a putter, makes me wonder why I have so many other clubs. That said, apart from 2 or 3 bunkers I wasn't off the short grass very often.